Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-11-2018, 05:16 AM   #1
viviansmith
viviansmith began at the beginning.

Device: none
How does the Amazon Kindle work?

Hello Friends...
I'm new here. please tell me, How does the Amazon Kindle work?
viviansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
You download books, read them on your Kindle.The easiest is to get books from Kindle but if you want to get books from other sources you can convert some using a program like Calibre on your computer.

You can get a Kindle, download a couple of free books, learn how it works and see if you like it. You have thirty days to return it. The basic Kindle isn't lighted and you need external light, just as you would with a book, but the other models have lighting built in.

What I like over paper books? I can get whatever books I want quickly and easily and often fairly cheap. I can increase the font to compensate for old eyes. I can look up words when I'm reading.

The only negaives that come to mind are no color, which is fine, but that means it's not good for graphics like photos or maps.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
When you purchase a Kindle, you register it to your "Kindle Account" at Amazon. Ebooks you purchase from Amazon will then be added you your Kindle Account. The easiest way you load them into the Kindle device will be to connect the Kindle to your internet via WiFi and down load the books directly.

You can also download from Amazon or other sources via a computer (macOS, Windows, or Linux) and then "side load" them into the Kindle. "Side loading" involves connecting the Kindle to the computer via USB and copying them from the computer to the Kindle. Ebooks can be downloaded from other sources, but they need in either one of the modern Amazon formats (AZW, AZW3, ...) or in the old Mobipocket (MOBI) format.

Calibre is a free ebook library manager and converter which can be very handly. It can manage the "side loading" for you, seeing that things are placed in the correct folders, etc. It can convert between most ebook and document formats, provided the files are not restricted with Digital Rights Management (DRM).
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:34 PM   #4
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Well to make it simple. You register your kindle with your Amazon account or you are prompted to create one. You are prompted when you start it for the first time. All ebooks you buy on amazon shows up n your device. You just tap it and it downloads. Also I believe there is a brief tutorial when you turn it on for the first time. There is usually a kindle user guide that gets downloaded automatically.

No worries if you are a first time buyer. it is pretty self explanatory

Last edited by HLS; 05-11-2018 at 07:39 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:04 AM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
When you purchase a Kindle, you register it to your "Kindle Account" at Amazon. Ebooks you purchase from Amazon will then be added you your Kindle Account. The easiest way you load them into the Kindle device will be to connect the Kindle to your internet via WiFi and down load the books directly.

You can also download from Amazon or other sources via a computer (macOS, Windows, or Linux) and then "side load" them into the Kindle. "Side loading" involves connecting the Kindle to the computer via USB and copying them from the computer to the Kindle. Ebooks can be downloaded from other sources, but they need in either one of the modern Amazon formats (AZW, AZW3, ...) or in the old Mobipocket (MOBI) format.

Calibre is a free ebook library manager and converter which can be very handly. It can manage the "side loading" for you, seeing that things are placed in the correct folders, etc. It can convert between most ebook and document formats, provided the files are not restricted with Digital Rights Management (DRM).
Another way to "sideload" books to the Kindle is to email books to your Kindle cloud account. Once they are on your Kindle cloud, you can download them to your Kindle device, or your phone, or another Kindle or tablet, and your reading position will sync between the different devices.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2018, 03:24 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Books from Smashwords or gutenberg.org work on a Kindle without conversion.
It's a seriously bad idea to use Amazon's Cloud, or rely on it or download direct to Kindle.
ALWAYS download to PC (Windows, Linux or Mac, even a tablet / Phone is possible with a filemanager app and a microUSB to USB host adaptor, the Kindle looks like a USB memory stick to EVERY device that can take external USB memory) so you have a backup.
Do not give copies of stuff to Amazon's Cloud. Also Sync has privacy issues and can mess up collections/shelves etc.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:13 PM   #7
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
It's a seriously bad idea to use Amazon's Cloud, or rely on it or download direct to Kindle.
ALWAYS download to PC (Windows, Linux or Mac, even a tablet / Phone is possible with a filemanager app and a microUSB to USB host adaptor, the Kindle looks like a USB memory stick to EVERY device that can take external USB memory) so you have a backup.
Do not give copies of stuff to Amazon's Cloud. Also Sync has privacy issues and can mess up collections/shelves etc.
I don't think I ever said anything about relying *only* on the Kindle cloud--of course you want to have all of your books on your own computer, and also backed up to somewhere else.

I'm not going to address the privacy issues, as that's a decision that each person has to make personally, but how does Sync mess up collections?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:44 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It does on the Kindle Touch and Kindle DXG. Empties the collections . Also if you have App, it makes duplicate connections.
It seems to only work properly with books you buy from Amazon. I did for tests put some stuff on Amazon's Cloud and have it delivered to my Kindle Touch and Kindle DXG. Unless it's actually already Mobi or downloaded from Amazon for Kindle, Amazon is worse at Conversions than LibreOffice + Calibre. There are other issues with Amazon Cloud too.

It's no substitute for your own storage, ask people that were using it for MP3s.

Values of eReader in approximate order:
1) read Classics from Gutenberg.
2) Saves massively on paper proofing own writing
3) Save Web sites and make them into eBook
4) Buy independent stuff off Smashwords
5) Other Indie publishers that supply free eBook with Paperback
6) Independent stuff off Amazon
7) Main publisher stuff off Amazon.

Least value is books from big publishers, rarely significant discount for eBook, so most of the main publisher books I get are still paper. My copy of Fiest's Magician was getting very tatty, so I did get that on eBook when it was on special offer.

Sync is very much an overrated thing, and in 30+ years of IT, I've never seen it be reliable. It's fast enough find where you were on another gadget. It's not like trying to match up 100s of emails.
Also Sync ONLY works for each vendor. No use between Aldiko or Bluefire (both preferable to Kindle App on Android), Kobo, Kindle, Calibre etc.
Sync only works with a Data connection on.

So my conclusion is that Sync is worthless.

Also Everyone I know apart from me only reads eBooks on ONE device, EITHER their phone app, their Kindle eInk or their Kobo eInk.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-16-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:16 PM   #9
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
It does on the Kindle Touch and Kindle DXG. Empties the collections . Also if you have App, it makes duplicate connections.
It seems to only work properly with books you buy from Amazon. I did for tests put some stuff on Amazon's Cloud and have it delivered to my Kindle Touch and Kindle DXG. Unless it's actually already Mobi or downloaded from Amazon for Kindle, Amazon is worse at Conversions than LibreOffice + Calibre.
{...}
Sync is very much an overrated thing, and in 30+ years of IT, I've never seen it be reliable. It's fast enough find where you were on another gadget. It's not like trying to match up 100s of emails.
Also Sync ONLY works for each vendor. No use between Aldiko or Bluefire (both preferable to Kindle App on Android), Kobo, Kindle, Calibre etc.
Sync only works with a Data connection on.

So my conclusion is that Sync is worthless.

Also Everyone I know apart from me only reads eBooks on ONE device, EITHER their phone app, their Kindle eInk or their Kobo eInk.
Last time this came up lots of folk were reading a book on two or more devices. In my case Fire and K3 Keyboard with G3

Sync works fine on Kindle with all my books when loaded as Personal Documents even when converted by Amazon. Pity it doesn't work for PDFs.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:02 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

You'll tend to get more multiple device users here than the ordinary population.

Other points:
The Fire used to be called a Kindle, it's not an eInk eReader, but a crippled Android tablet.
The eInk PaperWhite is best value as the Touch (last time I looked) is much lower resolution, but I rarely need the front light. Allows purchase off Amazon, Smashwords and free books.
The Kobo eInk is only better than the Kindle if you are doing a lot of annotations (proof reading and research) and then is more awkward to use with Amazon (you need Calibre + plugin + windows, OR if Linux: Calibre + Plugin + a Kindle).
Smashwords supports the most formats.
Gutenberg supports ePub (Kobo, Nook and other obsolete eReaders) as well as mobi (Kindle).

Most eBooks are actually read on phones, (most portable option and a 6" is good with Aldiko, though you need Amazon App if buying Amazon eBooks direct without Calibre conversion).
A decent £60 7" tablet is better than a phone and better than Amazon Fire (iPad works too).
However best reading experience and about x10 to x50 battery life is eInk based readers. Not Tablets.
The eInk is most like paper and works with least glare, reflection and full sunlight. Current eInk is much faster and whiter than the early types 10 to 12 years ago.

Note that you should never send a 3rd party Document via Amazon conversion (use Calibre + USB) or to Amazon's cloud (use USB) as that probably contravenes Copyright and may also contravene the originator's rights (existing EU law and new GDPR from 23 May 2018). There is no transparency or 3rd party audit of Amazon's use of such documents. Note that EU citizens are protected by EU law, world wide. Just as USA citizens are protected by USA laws.

As an author, I don't permit my beta texts to be sent to a Kindle via Amazon, only via USB and certainly not stored on Google, Dropbox, Amazon etc.

Don't assume any feature offered by a big Corporation is for YOUR convenience. They are offered to monetise you.

Also Amazon Prime cheats Authors and other Content providers. It also relies on snooping and DRM. "Free" via Prime is dishonest advertising. It's subscription and basically cheats lower volume consumers and content providers.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:35 AM   #11
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
You'll tend to get more multiple device users here than the ordinary population.

Note that you should never send a 3rd party Document via Amazon conversion (use Calibre + USB) or to Amazon's cloud (use USB) as that probably contravenes Copyright and may also contravene the originator's rights (existing EU law and new GDPR from 23 May 2018).

It's just as legal as making a copy on your hard disk provided you don't use it to share with friends.

Cite if you have seen a legal opinion.

Quote:

Also Amazon Prime cheats Authors and other Content providers. It also relies on snooping and DRM. "Free" via Prime is dishonest advertising. It's subscription and basically cheats lower volume consumers and content providers.
Are you talking about KU (Kindle Unlimited)? The owner has to sign up for both KU and Prime Reading so it's up to them. Swings & Roundabouts.

Full disclosure, I am on a low rate KU trial and have already bought authors whose other books I have borrowed.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:37 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Values of eReader in approximate order:
1) read Classics from Gutenberg.
2) Saves massively on paper proofing own writing
3) Save Web sites and make them into eBook
4) Buy independent stuff off Smashwords
5) Other Indie publishers that supply free eBook with Paperback
6) Independent stuff off Amazon
7) Main publisher stuff off Amazon.
For me ...

1) Cheap, well-formatted "classic books" from Amazon
2) Borrow books from my library via Overdrive
3) Extremely easy to buy and download a book for my Kindle

I don't worry about collections. Just go by author.

Unfortunately, a lot of the independent stuff I've run into isn't really worth reading. A lot of it reminds me of the old "vanity press" books.

(I back up my Amazon books on Calibre. I also format books bought from other sources (usually ePub) for the Kindle, via Calibre.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #13
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviansmith View Post
Hello Friends...
I'm new here. please tell me, How does the Amazon Kindle work?
You can also get in touch with your local library on how to download books to your kindle. You will need either a smart phone, tablet, or computer so that you can use Overdrive or whatever book lending system your library uses. The library have staff to help you (instruct) on this.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:30 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
You can also get in touch with your local library on how to download books to your kindle. You will need either a smart phone, tablet, or computer so that you can use Overdrive or whatever book lending system your library uses. The library have staff to help you (instruct) on this.
It's kind of a pain with the Kindles I own, but I can actually check out and download my Overdrive library books on my Kindle via its "experimental" web browser. Not that I would suggest this as the norm, but it works in a pinch.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:54 AM   #15
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Why? If the Amazon Kindle cloud goes down it will be headline news: if it stays down it will be a PR disaster for Amazon. If the actual Amazon cloud goes down it will be far worse (bear in mind that the 'Amazon cloud' is a part of Amazon Web Services, and if that goes down you'll know it because half the web will stop working and thousands of companies will be in deep, deep trouble). Bear in mind that when Amazon remotely deleted one book because its seller wasn't allowed to sell it, it was such a PR disaster that they swore never to do that again (and haven't, and that was nearly ten years ago). It seems unlikely that they'd do anything that made everyone's books go away.

The cloud is likely far more reliable than the Kindle it is talking to. The only real worry is Amazon going bust, and frankly at this point they are so gigantic that they'll only go bust on a timescale of decades. (You can still back up your books in case of Amazon going bust, but it seems quite unlikely.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader
Are you seriously suggesting that people buy a Kindle, a device whose primary use case is making it easier to buy books wherever you are and read them straight away, and then not use it to buy books from the device's own vendor, even though that route is orders of magnitude easier for non-tech-savvy newbies than sideloading? You don't seem to give any reasons for this: if this is DRM worries, why not find out if the newbie in question actually worries about DRM (I doubt it, since a Kindle is meant to replace paper books and backing up paper books is not a commonly-done activity).

More of a concern to me is what happens to independent booksellers, second-hand book market, inheritance of books by the next generation etc -- but again this is not something you can solve by telling individual people who have already decided to buy Amazon devices to buy them but then boycott buying actual books from Amazon. This is distinctly quixotic, probably doomed to failure, and just makes you look like a single-issue crank, frankly.

(Note: I am a free software developer and sideload a lot, and like my stuff to be free to such a degree that my phone is running 100% free software, but even I think you are radically overstating the case here, extrapolating your personal use case to everyone's with no grounds to do so, and probably driving people to do the opposite of what you suggest.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote