Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-03-2017, 08:34 PM   #1
Paul1977
Paul1977 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Cover Thumbnails for AZW3 PDOCs possible since 5.8.5?

I use the Kindle Personal Documents Service to keep non-Amazon purchased books synced between devices.

The books are sent to my Kindle in AWZ3 format, but as many of you will be aware you don't get a thumbnail in cover view for these books.

Previously the ExtractCoverThumbs utility got around this limitation nicely, but for some reason this has not worked since Kindle firmware 5.8.5 and the developers have indicating they are not planning on trying to fix this.

Has anyone discovered a way to get thumbnails displaying for AZW3 files sent from Kindle Personal Document Service?

It seems like a choice between WhisperSync or thumbnails - but I want both!
Paul1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:57 PM   #2
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Have you tried our custom screensaver add-in, in 'cover' mode?

If there is a cover present in the book, it can thumbnail it.

But I think that some book types have the cover and/or thumbnail sent 'out of band' (separate link/transmission) as part of Amazon's data mining operations.

I.E: The cover thumbnail is used for purposes similar to web page tracking beacons (those 1 pixel, transparent thingies, like the Google Analytics one on this page).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
Paul1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

But I think that some book types have the cover and/or thumbnail sent 'out of band' (separate link/transmission) as part of Amazon's data mining operations.

I.E: The cover thumbnail is used for purposes similar to web page tracking beacons (those 1 pixel, transparent thingies, like the Google Analytics one on this page).
Could you point me in the direction of this add-in? Does it require the Kindle to be jailbroken?

Thanks
Old 04-03-2017, 10:23 PM   #4
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1977 View Post
Could you point me in the direction of this add-in? Does it require the Kindle to be jailbroken?

Thanks
Yes, it requires the Kindle to be jail broken.
Currently to jb a Kindle, it must not be running 5.8.8 - so don't let yours update until after you install the jb.

First post is the description:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=195474
Most recent build is at:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

You need both the screensaver add-in and the python add-in.
MrPI (which you will have once you finish the jb install) can install both at the same time.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:39 PM   #5
Paul1977

Quote:
Yes, it requires the Kindle to be jail broken.
Currently to jb a Kindle, it must not be running 5.8.8 - so don't let yours update until after you install the jb.

First post is the description:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=195474
Most recent build is at:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

You need both the screensaver add-in and the python add-in.
MrPI (which you will have once you finish the jb install) can install both at the same time.
Thanks, but don't really want to jailbreak.

ExtractCoverThumbs used to work without the need of jailbreaking until 5.8.5, so I was hoping someone might have come up with a workaround for later firmware versions.
Advert
Old 04-04-2017, 01:29 AM   #6
knc1
Analog Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1977 View Post
Thanks, but don't really want to jailbreak.

ExtractCoverThumbs used to work without the need of jailbreaking until 5.8.5, so I was hoping someone might have come up with a workaround for later firmware versions.
I have been here for 5 years and I have never heard of "ExtractCoverThumbs".
You must be in the wrong forum.
Because I can't believe that it came from this one.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:26 AM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
He may be using Calibre. Just a guess.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:29 AM   #8
knc1
Analog Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
He may be using Calibre. Just a guess.
Probably a good one.
I don't use Calibre myself, so I wouldn't recognize it even if it popped up on my screen.
If so, he should try the Calibre forum.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:32 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, HDX 8.9, AuraHD, NookHD+, Kindle 2,3,T, Opus, iPhone 6, +
It has nothing to do with Calibre...
https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractCoverThumbs/releases
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks like Brian solved the mystery.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:55 AM   #11
knc1
Analog Forever!

Quote:
Looks like Brian solved the mystery.
Nope.

Try the description page:
https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractCoverThumbs
Scroll down a bit to see the "Readme".

And outstanding issues:
https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractCoverThumbs/issues/5
(marked as "wontfix")

Last edited by knc1; 04-04-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:01 AM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Nope.

Try the description page:
https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractCoverThumbs
Scroll down a bit to see the "Readme".

And outstanding issues:
https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractCoverThumbs/issues/5
(marked as "wontfix")
I meant he solved where it came from.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:05 AM   #13
knc1
Analog Forever!

Quote:
I meant he solved where it came from.
OH, I misunderstood.

We are back to "must jailbreak" -
Then the user could install 5.8.5 again.
But O.P. writes that he does not want to jailbreak.

The ball is in his court.
He needs to change his mind about either wanting thumbnails or about not jailbreaking.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:25 PM   #14
BionicGecko
BionicGecko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:

Hello knc1,

I have the screensaver add-in installed and configured to use the "cover" mode. When I email books to my kindle, the cover is correctly displayed in full-page as a screensaver, but the book still has no thumbnail on the home screen. Is there something I need to do in order for thumbnail to show? Some configuration flag, or some file to copy somewhere?

Thank you!
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:03 AM   #15
shamanNS
Evangelist
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3[300dpi] , Kindle PW1
Nope, you have 2 choices with regards to cover thumnails for "sideloaded" books:

1) let Calibre sideload the thumnail (= use Calibre to create files with EBOK flag & transfer books to your Kindle)
2) edit your file to add matching ASIN id from Kindle Store, so the Kindle itself will download correct cover thumnail

Both scenario preclude you from using "the Cloud" (Amazon's Personal Documents service) for wireless delivery since mailing/sending via Send-to-Kindle app will overwrite both CDE Type "EBOK" and ASIN value (= you'll get PDOC type file with random ASIN value === no cover thumnail).

Last edited by shamanNS; 05-06-2018 at 08:05 AM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote