Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
We've taken to watching the UK TV series DCI Banks based on the Peter Robinson Inspector Banks books. This is run on PBS. I have the first book of the series near the top of my TBR pile.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Another name I must mention is Simon Brett - especially his "Charles Paris" series. Charles Paris is an third-rate actor who is rather more fond of the booze than is good for him, and who seems to fall over dead bodies at every turn. Very well-written, and a series where I feel a great deal of empathy for the hapless protagonist.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #18
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
Edit: Ian Rankin - just to chime in, I wanted to like the Rebus series so badly, but it just didn't work out for me. I enjoyed the first better than the second, and then I couldn't finish the 3rd. Disappointing trend. Perhaps I'll try one of the later ones in the series at some point.
I can't do Rankin either.

Elizabeth George hasn't been mentioned, her Inspector Lynley series is top notch. She's American, but the mysteries are British. I second Dick Francis if you want light entertainment, he's one of my favourites.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I can't do Rankin either.
Sorry to hear that; he's one of my favourites.

Quote:
Elizabeth George hasn't been mentioned, her Inspector Lynley series is top notch. She's American, but the mysteries are British.
Heaven preserve us from American authors who try to write British stories. They never get the right "feel" to the books, and Elizabeth George is no exception. The books may be set in Britain, but they are most assuredly not British books.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Martha Grimes, mentioned in the OP, also is American. I agree that they frequently get it wrong. Then there's Jacqueline Winspear, an English ex-pat, and she gets it wrong, too.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Martha Grimes, mentioned in the OP, also is American. I agree that they frequently get it wrong. Then there's Jacqueline Winspear, an English ex-pat, and she gets it wrong, too.
One author who does better than most is Elizabeth Peters. Her "Amelia Peabody" series has a very good British feel to it, although she makes the occasional mistake (such as calling a railway a "railroad", which nobody in Britain would ever do).
Old 03-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #22
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Josephine Tey's Alan Grant series is another I'd recommend. Old fashioned, but still very readable today. If you take a trip to a death+50 country, these are in the public domain.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #23
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW; Nook HD; HTC Rezound
And then there's Lee Child, a Brit writing American thrillers. He does a good job at maintaining authenticity, I'd have assumed he's American if I didn't know better.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #24
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
And then there's Lee Child, a Brit writing American thrillers. He does a good job at maintaining authenticity, I'd have assumed he's American if I didn't know better.
Lee Child does a fantastic job of writing with an American "voice". I did notice a couple minor British-isms in Killing Floor, but it would be churlish to hold those against him.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Doctor Who books are sometimes good mysteries.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #26
acprinter
Zealot
acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle
P. D. James (Inspector Dalgliesh)

You can't go wrong.
acprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #27
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
Reginald Hill : Dalziel & Pascoe
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #28
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
I can see that I'll be book shopping this evening, but I can't think of a better way to spend a Friday night. Thank you all very much for these recommendations, and please do keep them coming!

(I had no idea that Martha Grimes was American!)
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:36 AM   #29
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Lee Child does a fantastic job of writing with an American "voice". I did notice a couple minor British-isms in Killing Floor, but it would be churlish to hold those against him.
I've noticed as well, but as you say, they are very minor and mostly amusing. The first time he had a male character describe another male as 'amiable', I smiled. And he repeated it over several of his novels.

Having lived here in the U.S. my entire life, I can honestly say I've never heard a man describe another man as 'amiable'. They might say..."he's a likeable fellow" or "he's a friendly guy", but never (or extremely rarely) as amiable.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #30
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
How about Minette Walters? As far as I know, she doesn't do series, each book is a stand alone.
llcj is online now   Reply With Quote