Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
HTC Google Chrome OS tablet - more info

Although I have a reader that I like, I also have other needs. And if another device can also double as an ereader that would be great. Even if it doesn’t replace my reader.

In short, I need a tablet.

And this Christmas we should see a lot of tablets. And that's the bad news. There'll be a lot of junk pushed out the door of many a manufacture. Picking a good one may be a problem.

So here's a little more on the Google Chrome OS tablet.

1:20 minutes into the video is something that looks good to me in the way of zooming.

And to get the negatives out of the way:
If it isn't under $50 it's no good.
If it isn't newest version of e-paper it no good.
If it isn't lightweight it's no good.
If the battery doesn't last for 500 years it's no good.
Etc, Etc, Etc, ....

One device can't do/be everything.

Related
Consumers Want Their Tablets
"A recent study found that 14 percent of U.S. online consumers – or 27 million people – intend to purchase a tablet in the next year."

Last edited by SameOldStory; 08-23-2010 at 11:19 AM.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
very nice...I too think I will end up with a slate device rather than a large format dedicated ebook reader. They just haven't pushed the color tech as I had hoped. Still going to wait, can't spend any funds right now anyway, too many med bills, but I later I can live with a 12" PixelQi device running either the Chrome OS, the newer version of Win7 Mobile or even Android though I suspect Chrome will be a ton more robust.

Thanks for the link...it reminds me that it's the reader OS and software than currently disappoint in terms of performance and useability for my purposes. A full OS eliminates this by making it possible to run a far more mature range of applications with a higher degree of interoperability within the device itself. Funny how these devices will be cheaper than the iPad and be abble to multi-task, limited of course because it's not some quad-core but still it's going to be better than non-multitasking devices. My only reservation about Chrome will be what apps can run under it...I would need something like Evernote as well as FBReader and of course K4PC. I can live with the Google suite of apps but something like Evernote/OneNote is a must app. I've become too dependent on OneNote but also have used and liked Evernote so it's not a big deal to switch...

I agree to about the fact we already know all the naysayers will use about battery life and all that...we know...but some of use have needed a device like these for a couple decades not just a year or two.

have you see the size of the newest SSD drives? They are smaller, or maybe about the same size as, a US quarter and I believe the max capacity was 64GB which is more than enough for me for now. Maybe by next year we might see 128GB in the same low power small size device.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
https://chrome.google.com/webstore
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten about web apps.

That may be a problem for me as I often find myself in basement rooms with no cellular access.

Much of my "need" for something with color and internet access is for manuals. Trying to read a wiring diagram in shades of gray is, in most cases, pointless. The ability to zoom in, as seen in the video, would be perfect for me.

One other point against e-ink, in my case, is that I will at times be standing on a ladder with my head above the ceiling tiles. Trying to read a non-backlit screen in those darkened areas can be a problem.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Sergey Brin said a while back that Chrome and Android may converge at one point..until then, I'm curious how the Android and Chrome markets will compete/complement one another, esp. with Android 3.0 having Tablet support.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
If Google doesn't open up the Android Marketplace to tablets then the Android tablets will have a harder time gaining acceptance. I don't see any reason for Google to do so since they are introducing a Chrome tablet with an accompanying app store.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote