Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Pseudo-crash w/V 6.39

Using Windows XP Pro SP 3 and Calibre 6.39 with my Sony 505, I clicked on <send to device> and immediately got the Windows popup alert that Calibre "encountered a problem and has to close". I clicked on the option "don't send error info" so the Windows popup alert went away.

Calibre stayed open and proceeded on its own to successfully send the book to the device.

I then sent another book to the device without any problem encountered.

Both books appear to be on the device in good shape.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is the one occurrence of the this problem a concern?
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Was the file a PDF?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Was the file a PDF?
Kovid, Yes, the "info" on the file describes it as Adobe PDF.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds like a problem with the pdf metadata writer and that file. Does it happen for any other pdf files in your collection?
Old 02-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Sounds like a problem with the pdf metadata writer and that file. Does it happen for any other pdf files in your collection?
Kovid, I <sent to device> an EPUB file without any problem right after the problem with the PDF file.
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Sounds like a problem with the pdf metadata writer and that file.
Kovid, Should I revert back to a prior Calibre version? If so, which version?

Or should I just let things ride as is?
Old 02-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Using Windows XP Pro SP 3 and Calibre 6.39 with my Sony 505, I clicked on <send to device> and immediately got the Windows popup alert that Calibre "encountered a problem and has to close". I clicked on the option "don't send error info" so the Windows popup alert went away.

Calibre stayed open and proceeded on its own to successfully send the book to the device.

I then sent another book to the device without any problem encountered.

Both books appear to be on the device in good shape.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is the one occurrence of the this problem a concern?
XP SP3 Astak PP
I saw one of those. Same, continued without issue.
Don't know what file type .
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
petercreasey
Wizard

So, what's the best advice?

Should I revert back to a prior Calibre version? If so, which version?

Old 02-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
So, what's the best advice?

Should I revert back to a prior Calibre version? If so, which version?

Is it stopping you from doing what you want ?
Minor annoy does not seem good enough reason to roll back to me.
Something turns up that risks my data, you will see burn marks rolling back

Your books. Your Data. Your Computer.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you dont like the error message disable the pdf metadata writer plugin. I doubt rolling back will fix this.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #11
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
If you dont like the error message disable the pdf metadata writer plugin. I doubt rolling back will fix this.
Kovid, I guess I don't understand the problem then.

Is this a problem with Calibre or with my PC system? If my PC system, what caused it to occur all of a sudden?

How is the metadata writer plugin disabled? What are the repercussions of doing this?
Old 02-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
He stated it was a "problem with the pdf metadata writer" that is part of Calibre.

Quote:
Is this a problem with Calibre or with my PC system?
It is a problem that occurs between Calibre and some pdf files.

Quote:
How is the metadata writer plugin disabled? What are the repercussions of doing this?
Go to preferences/plugins/metadata writer plugins and select set pdf metadata and then click on the enable/disable plugin button. When the plugin turns gray it is disabled.

This will prevent the writing of any metadata to any pdf files in the future.

The other option is to leave things alone and click don't send if you ever get that message again.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:59 AM   #13
Malcolm
Enthusiast
Malcolm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, K4PC, Kindle 2, Droid Eris
I encountered a similar problem last night as I was about to convert a PDF to Mobi. Vista does the fade out semi lockup and says "calibre is not responding" and asks what to do after three closes, I chose "Wait for it to respond" and after about a minute it brought up the convert box and I proceeded to convert. Seems to have done it and shows what I would expect of a conversion, better left as a PDF for my DX.

Not a crisis for me but thought you would want to know of a similar PDF event.
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote