Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #16
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
what ? despite what you loonies seem to believe, it's not a secret.
Yea, that's right, what she said...

Last edited by nrapallo; 06-08-2009 at 03:53 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #17
Ham88
Zealot
Ham88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Ectaco Jetbook
Welcome to the club, from one newbie to another. I can't imagine such a move, my last move was one building down the street, lol.
Ham88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #18
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham88 View Post
Welcome to the club, from one newbie to another. I can't imagine such a move, my last move was one building down the street, lol.
hee ! i'm really hoping my next move will be about the same distance !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #19
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
what ? despite what you loonies seem to believe, it's not a secret.
then why isn't it listed in your devices on the left panel.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #20
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Nice review! Good luck with the move.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2009, 04:45 AM   #21
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Well, that means you have to buy two

Dale
I probably will... I'll get the 5" as soon as it comes. Not sure about the second one yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
then why isn't it listed in your devices on the left panel.

Dale

Because, despite it not being a secret, she doesn't want everybody to know it
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #22
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
If you haven't left already and still have your music CD's, you might want to consider using Exact Audio Copy at ( http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ ) to rip your music into the FLAC format.

Unlike mp3 (or sony atrac, or the apple or msoft verions) this is a LOSSLESS compression format - like a zip file for audio. In other words, you do not lose any data at all when you rip to this, unlike mp3. It gives you a larger file size, but still decently smaller than the native wav file - and a decent 'mp3' player will also play this format directly (it's an open source format, widely supported. There are also lossless compression formats by Apple and others).

I have a Sonos system at home - so keep all my music in FLAC on my home desktop and stream that to my living room.

I use Media Monkey as my mp3 player and it can also play FLAC, but i use it to block convert all my FLAC to mp3 for me to take with me on my laptop and portable player.

Foobar is another useful tool/player for conversions....
Recommend looking at Sonos when you get to the US.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:55 AM   #23
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Good luck with the move, James.
We have an ebook request thread if you can't find a favourite book already converted. (Obviously it's for public domain requests only.)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10290
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:37 PM   #24
nathanb
Connoisseur
nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS 600
your reason is the same as mine

James, hope the move goes well.

Your reason for getting a reader is actually the same reason that I will be getting one. We are just moving to different locations. You are moving to the US and I am moving away.

I have not gotten my reader yet but I will be getting one for the exact same reason - being able to take a large number of books with me when I go to another country for a number of years.
nathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:18 AM   #25
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbeat View Post
Yes, I have an external HDD, although mine is only 500gb.
I've got a backup of all of my data on it, but I haven't gotten around to ripping my dvd's yet simply because it takes too long. I'd love to do it one day, but ripping and encoding 400 dvd's would take forever!
I'm going to keep hold of the disks for now until technology speeds up the process.

Thanks for the Feedbooks tip, that was one I hadn't found and it looks very interesting.
You can rip now and encode later.
400*4.7GB fit in a 2 TB hard-disk.
It takes 5 to 15 minutes each depending on the DVD, your DVD player and your CPU.
Reselling your DVDs would easily pay for a new hard-disk (and a new DVD burner if yours is slow), and maybe even a new faster CPU?
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:34 AM   #26
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Good luck with your move! Moving to foreign countries is a lot of fun if you can remain flexible. Downsizing your belongings really helps. I ripped all my DVD's and CD's before this last move. (From 170 sq meters in one country into 65 sq meters in another.) Getting rid of all those CD cases certainly helped, as did throwing out the Joker in my deck of cards. Now with my e-reader (a Sony like yours) I was able free up space normally taken up by my books making almost enough room for a bed. But not quite. There are just soooo many great books available as e-books today that one has to wonder why people would purchase paper books any more?!? Besides space and price, the convenience certainly makes it worthwhile!

As you said that you will be in New York, remember that the NY public library lends out e-books! Enjoy your new lifestyle!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote