Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2009, 02:33 AM   #1
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Stop the music!!!

I would if I could, but I can't without turning off the machine, removing the memory cards and letting the damn thing re-start!

I hate to think the I'm too stupid to find the switch, or that Sony was too lazy to put one on the 505. So were is it?

How can I turn off the music without having to re-load the entire machine? Or is it a case of; 'well you just have to turn off the entire machine every time?'

Thanks

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:21 AM   #2
loc_141
Enthusiast
loc_141 began at the beginning.

Device: pBooks
if your 505 works normally, you can go the music page and press the enter key (the one between the 4 directional keys at the bottom right) to pause the music. press it again to resume playing
loc_141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 03:23 AM   #3
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by loc_141;
if your 505 works normally, you can go the music page and press the enter key (the one between the 4 directional keys at the bottom right) to pause the music. press it again to resume playing
Press it twice in quick succession to stop playback - RTFM!
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:49 AM   #4
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Thanks! I'll give it a try. I'd love to see a manual.

Quote:
As I get older I find myself wondering more about the hereafter -

I walk into a room and wonder - - - - what I am here after?
'Murry the K,' on his 'Swinging Soiree' (Radio DJ in the 60's) used to tell us "If you're not here after what I'm here after, you're gonna be here after I'm gone!"

Stitchawl
Old 04-23-2009, 05:51 AM   #5
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Here's a link to the 505 US version of the user manual.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod....pl?mdl=PRS505
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 06:15 AM   #6
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl;
Thanks! I'll give it a try. I'd love to see a manual.

Stitchawl
Sorry reading my post again it was a bit blunt (not meant to be).
You mean to say your 505 was not supplied with a manual?

I had the same problem when I first got mine, not only was the manual on the cd but was also pre loaded on the 505 itself. I agree the answer is not blatantly obvious.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:10 AM   #7
columbus
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl;
'Murry the K,' on his 'Swinging Soiree' (Radio DJ in the 60's) used to tell us "If you're not here after what I'm here after, you're gonna be here after I'm gone!"

Stitchawl
Sadly, I cannot comment on 'Murry the K', (Kaufman ) Ny Dj 1958 until 1967. The New York transmitters were not powerful enough to reach the UK. (You are obviously the same generation as me).

All we had in those days was Radio Luxembourg, because the BBC (and establishment) thought pop music was sinful.

Then came the 'Pirate' stations (ships in the north sea) Caroline, Radio London etc. which the UK government tried (unsuccessfully) to Outlaw & jam. Quite a few US Dj's on them.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:11 AM   #8
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Here's a link to the 505 US version of the user manual.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod....pl?mdl=PRS505
Thanks, Curly.

Stitchawl
Old 04-23-2009, 08:26 AM   #9
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Sorry reading my post again it was a bit blunt (not meant to be).
I didn't take it as blunt. I took it a a well deserved 'kita' which was needed.
In fact, I had found the manual on line, but never even noticed the big letters at the end of the Audio section that said;
HINT: To stop playback....
Somehow, it just never registered in my brain!

Quote:
You mean to say your 505 was not supplied with a manual?
I had the same problem when I first got mine, not only was the manual on the cd but was also pre loaded on the 505 itself. I agree the answer is not blatantly obvious.
As I had already downloaded the Sony software, which was a newer version than was on the CD, I never even put the CD into the computer! I had been reading this forum for several weeks before I received my 505, and had a pretty good idea how to use it and the various software support programs. The reader itself was quite easy to operate, so I never bothered to really sit down and study the online manual. I don't usually listen to music when I read, but there was an elementary school class on the train today, and the kids were in really good spirits. 50 happy 7-yr olds can be a bit noisy...

Stitchawl
Old 04-23-2009, 08:36 AM   #10
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Sadly, I cannot comment on 'Murry the K', (Kaufman ) Ny Dj 1958 until 1967. The New York transmitters were not powerful enough to reach the UK. (You are obviously the same generation as me).
All we had in those days was Radio Luxembourg, because the BBC (and establishment) thought pop music was sinful.
Thankfully, it was!! Murry the K gave us the background music for 'submarine race watching!' That's when you and your date park down by the beach and 'watch the submarine races.' At least, that's what you told your parents you were doing parked at the beach.

Quote:
Then came the 'Pirate' stations (ships in the north sea) Caroline, Radio London etc. which the UK government tried (unsuccessfully) to Outlaw & jam. Quite a few US Dj's on them.
"Those were the days, my friend. We thought they'd never end..." Let's raise our glasses to a misspent youth. We wouldn't be who we are today if we weren't who we were then. There isn't too much I would have done differently despite the trials and tribulations later on.

Stitchawl.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I downloaded the User's Guide and read it (the audio playback section). Is there a Manual in addition to a User's Guide? I didn't see any mention of pressing Enter twice. They mention pressing Enter to toggle Play/Stop.

IMO, the audio playback is not intuitive.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:24 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Most people don't use the audio playback. It just drains the battery and not all that wonderful.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:26 AM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Damn, now I have that song "Please don't stop the music" in my head.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #14
columbus
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F;
I downloaded the User's Guide and read it (the audio playback section). Is there a Manual in addition to a User's Guide? I didn't see any mention of pressing Enter twice. They mention pressing Enter to toggle Play/Stop.

IMO, the audio playback is not intuitive.
I've looked for the reference I got this from & can't now find it, so I am sitting here with yellow sticky stuff on my face & trying to extract foot from mouth.

Thought I had a clear memory of this, which returned the main menu to 'Now Playing - No Song' instead of just pausing whatever was playing and leaving the menu showing 'Now Playing - Annie's Song' (or whatever). Which leaves you thinking It's still playing when it is not. (If there's no volume control showing it's not playing).

A very untidy part of an otherwise well designed product. Why should you have to go all the way back to the audio menu to stop it?
Old 04-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #15
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
A very untidy part of an otherwise well designed product. Why should you have to go all the way back to the audio menu to stop it?
Considering the cost of the reader, one more three-way switch wouldn't have necessitated much of an increase, and made the handling much more streamlined.

Stitchawl