Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
DMJohns
Libraries4Teens Advocate
DMJohns began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Any school libraries using Kindle?

I work in a high school library and we're considering a pilot of kindles to meet special collection requirements. For example, we might use them when we have 6 classes researching the cold war at the same time. The kindle versions of important books could be our "reference" collection. Anyone doing this? If yes, how is it working? Anyone trying this with another e-reader?
DMJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I know Sony at one point had a contest for schools who wanted to get Readers for their library. Actually, the 505s might be better than the Kindle since you can't buy from the device (which, if I know kids at all, will probably happen). Plus they're cheaper.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i've heard of a couple of experiments of this type, mostly in Europe (if memory serves, there were two schools in France, one in Nantes and one in Strasbourg --but i could be wrong-- and i think another in Germany maybe). However i don't remember hearing any follow-up stories once the programs were in place ; maybe they are waiting to do an evaluation at the end of a specific test period.

i did a quick search and came up with a few articles that might get you started :
Winthrop University
a Dutch school experiments with the iRex iLiad
a very old article about Carnegie Mellon experimenting with tablet pcs
and a few threads about speculation and research into educational use.

i couldn't find the thread about the french school program but i'll keep looking and post here if i stumble across it.

i definitely think this is an excellent idea and education is an area where i could see reading devices being a huge advantage both for schools and for students ; but there are kinks to be worked out (and for younger students you might want to wait for the expected new devices with flexible and therefore far sturdier screens).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
DMJohns
Libraries4Teens Advocate

Thanks so much. I've been talking to students who are very,very,very enthusiastic. Wonder whether Amazon would make a donation? hmmm

I'm making a folder and will share anything I find.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I just graduated last year from college, but it would have been so awesome if i could have gotten some books on my kindle
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 05:37 AM   #6
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I work in a Library in Baltimore (academic-research). We don't use Kindles but I heard a Library down by DC tried it. Never heard any feedback though.

It is nice to work in a place where everybody knows what a Kindle is.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
ahall
ahall began at the beginning.

Kindles in Schools Pilot Project

We are interested in using Kindles in a local high school to enhance literacy skills for underperforming students. I have made several attempts to contact Amazon to discuss the possibilities of partnering on this project.

The phone numbers I have found and the emails I have sent so far have been dead ends.

Does anyone have any leads for me on how to get in touch with anyone in an education division of Amazon?

Arcella Hall
ahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
DMJohns
Libraries4Teens Advocate

So the more I read in this forum, the more excited I get. Am I correct that the following would work?

1. buy books on cold war, world war I, Australia, etc for kindles

2. store unused titles on pc; upload needed titles for the duration of the project

Without buying one of these (or Sony Reader, which I'm starting to research), it's hard to figure out the logistics.

TIA
Donna
Old 03-06-2009, 07:44 AM   #9
DMJohns
Libraries4Teens Advocate

Arcela--

I've had no luck as well. If they have an educational branch, they sure are concealing it well! I'll let you know if I find anything.

Donna
Old 03-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Did you know there's a Librarian social group on MR? There's been very little activity on it, but you might be the right group of people to give it a new life.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #11
VAFishman
VAFishman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
In a similar vein to the library question, I've wondered if anyone is doing research looking at the Kindle or other e-readers as course tools. There are a number of software companies (like Blackboard) that offer online course management software. Anybody thinking about a place for Kindles and other readers as a platform for coursework? I've seen some reports about using mobile phones as input devices in electronic classrooms. Seems that the 'notation' function on the Kindle might lend itself to some type of collaborative critical analyses of written works. For the Kindle, maybe the tough issue is how to share work between users.
VAFishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i FINALLY found the article about the school experiment in france ! completely by accident, as i stumbled across a reference to it in a different post. it's an article on Bookeen's blog, not mr, which is why it took me so long... you can read about it here :
http://bookeen.blogspot.com/2008/04/...y-library.html
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #13
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks for posting the article, it's quite interesting. I can see schools moving to ebook readers to cut costs, and also for the sake of efficiency and logistics; it's just a logical progression.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #14
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
There's no way in hell that public high schools (at least here in the states) can afford Kindles or even just maintaining e-book libraries. If my school were to begin an "e-library", though, I'd definitely volunteer to help with it. It's not too difficult to use Calibre with NAS, right?
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #15
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I agree that it's a great idea. However, I doubt that you will get any support from Amazon, and the Kindle probably is not the best bet for this.

You would be largely tied to using only those texts that Amazon chose to make available, further, if any of the students were to place "illegal material," and by that I mean DRM protected content that was not intended for the Kindle, on the Kindle, then the school might be held liable. And, yes, Amazon can and, according to the license agreement, has the right to download information through Whispernet regarding the content stored on the device.

So, while I think it's a great idea for students to be introduced to ebooks, and to learn to use them as a learning tool .... it doesn't appear that Amazon sees the Kindle as anything more than a way for them to make more money.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
education, high school, librarians, libraries, reference, reference books, schools