Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-02-2016, 11:51 AM   #16
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Which ereader is best depends entirely on the person that is going to use it.
I noticed the mom said the child uses an iPad. That tells me the child is rather responsible, so now it becomes how much does mom want to spend.
99 for an unlit ereader with case and warranty, 79 for just the ereader, or does she want to get him a lit ereader?
My question on lit vs unlit would be is the child the type that would read all night or will he go to bed at a reasonable hour?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:55 PM   #17
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I just read the title of the thread...

I can't do that trade, but I'd be happy to give you a 17 year old boy for a sturdy ereader. He's house trained, well, as house-trained as any 17 year old.

Sorry, but someone had to do it
Hmmm... how is he with chores? If he's ready to move out soon, and keep visiting me for mowing the lawn etc, I can make you a deal: the 10-year-old AND the ereader for a hard working and self sufficient 17-year old

June is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2016, 02:55 PM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm not sure the warranty is that significant. Warranties tend to cover manufacturing issues and not damage caused by abuse of the device
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #19
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you all for your input. it has helped me with figuring out some stuff:

- needs to work with the libraries here in Europe (Adobe ePub drm) directly
- front light
- preferably under $300
- wifi
- a good case made for the device
- needs to have a stable OS

The Kindle for kids package isn't available in my country, and it wouldn't work for the library either. I will have a look at the current Kobo and OnyxBoox offerings, I'm sure I'll find something....

Any comments on how stable the "ePub with DRM" apps are?

Last edited by June; 06-02-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:02 PM   #20
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'm not sure the warranty is that significant. Warranties tend to cover manufacturing issues and not damage caused by abuse of the device
This warranty specifies any damage. I thought about getting it for myself.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #21
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Let's not get into which Reader is best. Let's just go with what Reader is best in this situation.

Well that's just my point. I don't think this situation requires anything unusual. 10-year-olds are reading chapter books, not picture books, so they don't need color, and an e-ink reader wouldn't work for that anyway. They're all fairly breakable, but 10-year-olds aren't that young, and this is a kid who has been able to keep an iPad intact.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:22 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post

- front light
- preferably under $300
- wifi

The Kindle for kids package isn't available in my country, and it wouldn't work for the library either. I will have a look at the current Kobo and OnyxBoox offerings, I'm sure I'll find something....

Given your requirement, I would suggest a Kobo Glo HD. It is under $300. Has a front light, has WiFi, can get good cases for it, and the OS is stable. Kobo is going to eventually release a firmware that will allow downloading direct from Overdrive so that's something in Kobo's favor. Plus, Kobo handles ePub very well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:51 PM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Hmmm... how is he with chores? If he's ready to move out soon, and keep visiting me for mowing the lawn etc, I can make you a deal: the 10-year-old AND the ereader for a hard working and self sufficient 17-year old

Well, he does the washing up and puts the garbage out without much complaint. And does some cooking. But, I've given up on getting him to keep his room tidy and just close the door when it's too bad.

But, the offer was the 17-year-old for the ereader. There's no need to "sweeten" the trade
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:41 AM   #24
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'd go with a Kindle Fire Click They're going for as low as $49.99 now and the gorilla glass is very strong. I've (accidentally) dropped mine several times and it has suffered no apparent damage and is still working well at 1.5 years of age. It's not eink nor is it a dedicated e-reader but it is sturdy.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:29 AM   #25
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:

- front light
- preferably under $300
- wifi

Have a look at PocketBook Ultra or PocketBook sense with Kenzo cover.
Ultra has metal body [I think] and supports epubs with Adobe DRM.

I used to be a big fan of PocketBook devices, but that was before the Ultra generation.

I personally use an inexpensive reader with plastic body now, with a sturdy homemade case. I used copperclad laminate FR4, the material that printed circuit boards are made from, to build a lid of the case. I used a thin plywood with an outer layer of fiberglass laminate for the bottom part of the case.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #26
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Get a used nook simple touch. Unless that won't work in your region...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #27
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My ten year old son has a kobo touch with a good case since last September and he's had no problems with it so far.

Now it's mostly used for bedtime reading so it hasn't had to survive being shoved into a bookbag and taken along a typical ten year old's day.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:10 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
Get a used nook simple touch. Unless that won't work in your region...
Oh hell no! The divided memory is a just stupid and the UI is AWFUL. I have one. Also, the fonts don't render as well as they do on Sony, Kobo, or Kindles. Also, whatever B&N did to ADE causes too any hyphens. Never ever get this abomination.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:53 PM   #29
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I'll be giving my 10 yo a Kobo Mini.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:31 AM   #30
June
Addict

Thank you again, I ordered a Kobo Glo HD and a fun cover https://www.amazon.de/kwmobile-Hülle...563101_TE_item