Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Musing on Apple September 2013

I have been seeing all the new hopes for Apple products being listed and all the predictions based on leaks, supposed leaks, insider info, and hallucinogens. Everyone is getting ready to be excited, disappointed or bored with new announcements in a matter of days, indeed hours.

What seems strange is the paradigm shift where the sacrosanct size tenets of Apple phones and Pads have changed so much.
Now the question is how much larger will the iPhone be. How much smaller will the iPad be.

And as always whether the iPhone and the iTV is to be unveiled and whether they will be amazing.

I foresee some interesting times, where we discuss Apples along with boiling seas and flying fish.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
greenasterisk
Enthusiast
greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Obviously this is an iPhone event but I hope there is some news on the watch front too.
greenasterisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Traditionally it has been an iPhone and iOS event, but they have introduced new iPads and iPods at it too. I doubt we will see any surprises as far as iPhone screen sizes. The leaks are usually fairly good indicators and none have indicated anything but 4" screens, which is fine with me. I will watch the event but I don't expect to see anything I just have to rush out and buy! I've got an iPhone 5 and I'm perfectly happy with it. I've got an iPad 3 and I'm perfectly happy with it too. I don't need nor want any iPods. I think smartwatches are a dumb idea and definitely don't want one. No way I'll buy a special TV if it ever comes out, especially since Apple always charges way too much for its stuff. I'll stick with my Sony Bravia TV. So I really don't expect to be excited by much, if anything, Apple releases on Tuesday. I would like to see a higher resolution of the iPad Mini, but I doubt we will.

EDIT: We have already been introduced to iOS 7 and the new Mac OS X version, so nothing new to be seen on those two.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-08-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I have heard rumors about a new appletv. For the most part, I don't expect any real surprises this week. Mostly incremental updates.

As far as the appleTV and iWatch go, I'm going to hold off judgement until I see what they have. Certainly, none of the rumors about the iPhone did justice to the product when it actually became available, much less what it became once the App Store got going and wireless internet speeds improved. I would guess that the appleTV won't really take off until the content takes off. Right now, I use mine to watch movies and TV shows I rent on iTunes and to watch ESPN and netflix. If they ever get to the point where it is like the current TiVo units where I can say I want to watch "The Hobbit" and it just goes out and finds it for me, then it will really take off. Especially if they improve the integration with the iPhone and iPad. The user interface on the appleTV is rather cumbersome.

I have absolutely no idea what the iWatch will be like. It might be something brilliantly simple like the iPhone, or it might be a complete bust.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
queenfrostine
queenfrostine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queenfrostine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queenfrostine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queenfrostine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queenfrostine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queenfrostine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queenfrostine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queenfrostine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queenfrostine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queenfrostine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queenfrostine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone, nook tablet and kindle paerwhite
I think I might like a smart watch if it offered controls for my various audio apps on my iPhone. I use my iPhone as a music/audio program device pretty much every day, whether I'm at home, at work or running errands, and I hate having to dig my iPhone out of my pocket if I need to hit pause, rewind or switch to something else. I know there are ear buds that offer some remote features, but I actually find those more annoying than useful. They trigger the voice control feature too easily, which I hate.

I'm already a watch-wearer, so I'd love to just be able to tap my wrist whenever I need to pause something and give my attention to real live people. I'm less interested in the prospects of reading texts or what not on my watch.

Though if the watch didn't have AMAZING battery life, I'd be less interested. I only take my watch off now to bathe or when my 2 year old niece wants to play with it, so I don't know how I'd fare if I had to take it off to charge it several times a week. I feel naked without my watch so I wouldn't be pleased to have to leave it off for 2 hours at a time.
queenfrostine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2013, 03:24 AM   #6
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
error

Last edited by forsooth; 09-09-2013 at 03:28 AM.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:25 AM   #7
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Apple must make iWatch soon. If not then out of race.

I want a smart watch SOON!
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I just want to know WHEN I can get my hands on that gold iPhone 5S! My debit card is ready.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I don't plan to buy any new devices, but I am so looking forward to the IOS 7 upgrade. Some of the icons on IOS 6 are so boring. I remember the first time I saw 'Find My Friends', I thought, "how cute, it reminds me of gingerbread men".

The iPhone is a sexy and sleek phone, time to update the IOS to match the hardware.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'm still nursing along an regular iPhone 4 with a home button that isn't always happy so I'm hoping the 5S lights my fire.

I might try the next Nexus phone but I really enjoy the Apple ecosystem, writing a note on my phone and seeing it later with zero effort on my iPad and MacBook Air. I use several other cloud services (Skydrive, Google Drive, and Sugarsync) but none are as slick as iCloud on Apple devices.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:49 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Today, Apple will issue the following statement to my iPod touch 4:

"you're dead to me"

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #12
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I want a new iPad so I hope they have something new going on there.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #13
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Well, we will all find out in just a few hours. macrumors.com will be reporting live apparently but it doesnt look like theres going to be an Event on AppleTV, at least its not showing up yet.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Live event at 10am PT
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Some live blogs...

Gizmodo
cNet
Engadget
Macworld
Tech Crunch
Ars Technica

...there are a ton of others too of course.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote