Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Discussions with Amazon CS about PW Defects

I'm starting this thread at the request of another member so we can make it easier to follow the ongoing discussions some of us are having with Amazon CS regarding our defective PW's.

I left a 1 star review on Amazon due to my Kindle Paperwhite screen issues. Today I received a phone call from Amazon customer service saying they read my review and wanted to talk to me about the problems I was having with the screen. Unfortunately, I missed the phone call. They also emailed me. I'll be calling them tomorrow.

I know xendula is in a similar situation so please feel free to post here and let us know how it goes for you, xendula.

I'll post here here tomorrow and let everyone know what CS has to say.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 10-20-2012 at 10:49 PM.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Thanks again sparklemotion!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 04:42 AM   #3
brdwygurl
Connoisseur
brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I am re-posting from this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...192940&page=38

Quote:
My issue is more with the green hue in the top center/right. When I am reading, it reminds me of the after image effect you get from looking at a bright light, and then looking at a white page. In fact at first, that's what I thought it was. I even turned my Kindle upside down, to see if I still noticed the green area or if maybe it was an effect of how and where I was looking on the page. Turning the Kindle upside down the blob was still noticeable, just at the bottom of the screen.

I chatted with Kindle support, and offered to email them the pictures of my screen. The representative said that would be helpful. After receiving my pictures (and going through the standard factory reset, verifying that I hadn't dropped it or gotten it wet) they said rather then me exchanging it at Best Buy they would send out a new one. I have 30 days to return the defective one, or they will charge my credit card for the second unit. I was happy that I didn't have to send mine back first. My new one should be here by the 23rd, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
brdwygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Thanks, sparklemotion and daffy4u.

I had a few conversations. First the emails. Not sure if it is OK to post these here, so I may have to remove them if requested, but it is easier than recounting everything. I removed my name, numbers and email addresses. BTW, every time I write back, I get an email back that that email address cannot receive emails and that I should contact CS via the website, but somehow, they do get through.

You have to read these from the bottom up, obviously:
10/12:
Quote:
12/10:
Andrew, I narrowly missed your call today, as I was on another call. I will be available all weekend and most of Monday if you can call me back. I am not sure where you are located, but otherwise around 8pm ET is usually a good time to reach me.
Thanks,

On Oct 12, 2012, at 18:22, "Amazon.com Customer Service" <cust.service03@amazon.com> wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for your latest reply. *I've tried contacting you at your phone numbers and have not been successful. *I'm sorry, we'll have to look into your problem a little more deeply. *I will be contacting you early next week with a solution. *Please wait to take any further action until that time regarding your Paperwhite devices. ***

We hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,

Andrew R
http://www.amazon.com

Andrew,

I did not realize my email made it through to you, but thank you for responding.
At this point, I am a bit baffled by my entire experience and a bit dismayed at the run-around I have been receiving, as I was only used to stellar customer service from Amazon until this last weekend.
I love the Paperwhite's interface and the screen resolution; the only issues I have seem to be mostly caused by what is supposed to be this Kindle's selling points: the revolutionary lighting technology with its even lighting, and the paperwhite screen. I'd be happy if my screen were at least evenly one color with the light on. The last two units I received have the following:
WiFi SO: mostly pinkish background and holes/dead pixel type looking dots on the screen
3G: mostly blue/green background with pink around the edges and horizontal pink stripes.

I need two units without holes in the screens and pastels in the background. Since these issues are affecting many other customers, has Amazon improved their QC process? Can I get two units with good screens with which I can actually use the light to read at night in bed, in a dark room? The screens I have look good but only with the light off, which is not really the point of *lighted screens.

No, I do not want to cancel the order I placed in September yet, because I need two working units with decent screens. Amazon overpromised, which, in turn, made me overpromise: the second one is a present that I unfortunately hyped up way too much, so not having two good units is not an option for me. Can you please help?

Also, today I returned the first three units. They were all going to Kentucky, so they are all in one box. In the box are the very first unit, and the two I received after: one that does not turn on, and one that had initial issues with artifacts below the screen, but then to my surprise developed blotchy green, blue, and pink areas all over the screen one or two days later. The tracking number for this package is: [number removed].

I am again asking you for your assistance. There MUST be a batch of good devices that the tech blog reviewers received. I have seen all the pictures and reviews they posted before I ordered my devices, so I know they exist. Can you please help me get two units out of those batches that undoubtedly have had better quality control?

I am hopeful that this issue will be resolved. As noted above, Amazon always seemed to go above and beyond for its customers. I desperately want to believe that this is still the case. I should not have to talk to 10 different people to get replacements for defective units!

I am easiest to reach via [number removed].

Thank you,

On Oct 11, 2012, at 18:16, "Amazon.com Customer Service" <cust.service03@amazon.com> wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for your reply email. *We have not spoken previously and I definitely want to assist you. *I'm sorry for any negative experience you've had. *

Andrew R

Are you the same Andrew (team lead) *in India who put me on hold for 15 or 20 minutes, after I had already talked to your team member for 40 minutes, until my phone battery died? That entire conversation was 60 minutes long, and I still had to call back and talk to someone else, so it was an entire hour wasted on the phone with your team. I hope Amazon has a customer satisfaction team and reads this.

From: Amazon.com Customer Service <cust.service03@amazon.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:09 PM
Subject: Your Amazon.com Inquiry

Hello,

I’ve read your recent review on Kindle Paperwhite, and I'm sorry for any issues. I've tried contacting you at the phone number listed in your Amazon.com account but have not been successful.

I wanted to confirm that you received your replacement Paperwhite devices and are satisfied.* I've also been trying to reach you to clarify some information with you.* I see on your account that two replacements devices were sent to you instead of just one.* The orders are [number removed] and [number removed]. You also have another future Paperwhite order [number removed] with an estimated Delivery Date of Oct 29, 2012 - Nov 1, 2012.* Please confirm with us if you would like to keep the extra replacement that we sent to you and cancel your future order.* You will need to pay for the second Paperwhite that you have been shipped.* Currently, you have only been charged for one Paperwhite.* Please contact us with your decision or if you need more information or more clarification.*
[redundant info removed]

We hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,

Andrew R

Last edited by xendula; 10-21-2012 at 12:36 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Wow xendula! Thanks for the correspondence copies. What a crazy ride this turning out to be.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have talked to Andrew twice since. Last Wednesday, he called me to let me know they are still working on a resolution for me, and that he'd call me back towards the end of the week. On Friday he called me to let me know they are working on a resolution and that he'd call me Monday or Tuesday.
It all sounds a bit mysterious to me.

The history:
I had ordered two PW's. One is supposed to be mailed out next week. One arrived a few weeks ago. My first unit was atrocious, though at least it had the faintest of hues - it was the most even looking screen of them all. I called for a replacement and talked to a really nice rep who said that they'd make sure I'd get a good unit even if it means replacing it yet another time. To my surprise, there were actually two replacements in the box. I am not sure if this is because he wanted to make sure I get one good unit, or because I voiced my concern about the second PW that I needed being a present for someone overseas and me not being able to gift a good unit if I needed replacements for that one as well. Whatever the case, I ordered two and need to units. Too bad only one of the two replacements powered on at all, with the other one having a REPAIR message ghosted on the screen. I called Amazon right after unpacking the units, so no more than maybe 30 minutes after I received the unit. That's when I was given the run-around. In a matter of two days, I talked to 10 CS reps. The first time, I talked to a rep in India for 40 minutes who kept telling me a replacement would take two weeks (if I recall correctly). Meanwhile, others on this forum had talked to CS and arranged for the exact same type of PW to be shipped through 2 day shipping on the same exact day, so I kept insisting on a faster delivery, and she kept telling me there's nothing she can do. I was posting here in-between being put on hold by her, so I knew the answer she was giving me was BS. That's how I ended up talking to her team lead, "Andrew", who was equally unhelpful, and who then put me on hold for 15 or 20 minutes until my phone battery died. That was one hour on my Saturday, with zero resolution, so I had to call back. I'd talk to a rep and either they would say one thing, but then the email confirmation said another, so that I'd have to call again, or my calls would drop.*
It took me talking to 10 reps between Saturday and Sunday, to finally get replacements sent by Wednesday. I can tell you that I was in tears when yet another rep would tell me that he'd need to put me on hold because someone else needed to talk to me. I hope that Amazon will take the time to listen to theses calls to see what they put customers through. I know they usually have stellar CS, but this time, everything went haywire. While I had been holding off on writing a review until then, I had no more qualms and left a 1 star review. Then an Andrew contacted me with the above posted email.

I am still hoping for two units with good screens. I know a lot of people keep the one that is okay, but I want more than okay or acceptable, especially after wasting so much energy on this. I feel like if I give up on the PWs now, I will lose my trust in Amazon forever as well. Maybe that's why I keep trying. I buy everything from Amazon, so I'd feel like losing a friend, almost.
*Because they reroute calls lord knows how many times, my next calls would drop. I'd ask them right form the get go to write down my number, then, and to call me back if the call dropped, so I would not have to explain the same thing again. They all said they would, not one did. I think there was somethung going on with their phone systems that day, because theirs are the only calls that ever drop, so I know it wasn't on my end.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Wow xendula! Thanks for the correspondence copies. What a crazy ride this turning out to be.
Yeah, it's a bit long to read through, but it has been a very painful and long experience.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

My initial thought is that Andrew doesn't have a clue, though he seems to be trying to seek answers. Of course that could just be more scripted rhetoric designed to pacify you.

My current problem now is getting my refund. I shipped the first one back the first week of Oct and the other two shipped back 1.5 weeks ago. All three have made it back home to the mother ship in KY and I've long since got the emails stating they were received and that I should be getting a refund email notice. Still no refund email notice nor any refund. I'm going to call CS in the morning to see what the problem is. I suspect they are uber confused about the three returned units for a single unit order.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-21-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Return procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
My initial thought is that Andrew doesn't have a clue, though he seems to be trying to seek answers. Of course that could just be more scripted rhetoric designed to pacify you.

My current problem now is getting my refund. I shipped the first one back the first week of Oct and the other two shipped back 1.5 weeks ago. All three have made it back home to the mother ship in KY and I've long since got the emails stating they were received and that I should be getting a refund email notice. Still no refund email notice nor any refund. I'm going to call CS in the morning to see what the problem is. I suspect they are uber confused about the three returned units for a single unit order.
When I returned my Fire 1st Gen 10 months ago for a replacement, I was informed by CS to turn off the WiFi but NOT to degister the unit. Actually, I had deregistered the unit and CS had to reregister the returned unit for me.

When the returned unit is received, it is then deregistered by the warehouse upon receipt generating the proper email to you and initiating the refund and/or credit. If you deregister the unit first, when it is received, the warehouse will have no idea whose unit it was.

If you first deregistered all your returned units, CS will now have to do extensive research to find them. If you can supply the proper UPS Tracking numbers to CS, it will shorten their research time.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-21-2012 at 02:28 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm.. but the mailing labels have your info and name on them?
Old 10-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

I didn't receive any instructions about not deregistering the PWs. They only asked to have the WiFi turned off. I have always deregistered by doing a full factory reset before returning any electronics item. Amazon has serial numbers and order numbers with which to verify any returned item.

EDIT: And the fact they emailed me that the items were successfully returned and that charges would be reversed indicates they were able to track these units and associate them with my account/order.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-21-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #12
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Other identifying documents

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I didn't receive any instructions about not deregistering the PWs. They only asked to have the WiFi turned off. I have always deregistered by doing a full factory reset before returning any electronics item. Amazon has serial numbers and order numbers with which to verify any returned item.
If you enclosed the printed return authorization and enclosed a copy of your packing slip or invoice, Amazon will also be able to eventually identify that you returned the units.

However, it will take much longer than if they still had your unit registered when received at the warehouse.

CS had told me last year, when I returned my first Fire, that the deregistration at the warehouse automatically generates the email and credit and / or refund.

If you call CS, you could verify all this. Its possible it changed over the last year. One thing which has changed is that they now will schedule a UPS pickup at your house or office instead of you having to drop off the package to UPS or pay for a pickup. I found that out a few days ago when I returned another product to Amazon. There was no need to contact CS. It was all done online at the Order page.

In addition, that last product I returned did not have a mailing label generated. It said the UPS truck would have the label when they picked up the product. It only generated for me a return authorization page which had to be enclosed with the product in the package. The email I receieved had the UPS tracking number.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-21-2012 at 02:49 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
When I returned my Fire 1st Gen 10 months ago for a replacement, I was informed by CS to turn off the WiFi but NOT to degister the unit. Actually, I had deregistered the unit and CS had to reregister the returned unit for me.

When the returned unit is received, it is then deregistered by the warehouse upon receipt generating the proper email to you and initiating the refund and/or credit. If you deregister the unit first, when it is received, the warehouse will have no idea whose unit it was.

If you first deregistered all your returned units, CS will now have to do extensive research to find them. If you can supply the proper UPS Tracking numbers to CS, it will shorten their research time.
I was just told by Amazon Customer Support to deregister all kindles prior to returning units for replacement or refund and that all info to process returns are located on the return label that Amazon supplies.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #14
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
I was just told by Amazon Customer Support to deregister all kindles prior to returning units for replacement or refund and that all info to process returns are located on the return label that Amazon supplies.
That's exactly what I thought. When you tell Amazon you are returning an item, the mailing label they have you print out matches the info for you item. The labels are order specific. So deregistering it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
That's exactly what I thought. When you tell Amazon you are returning an item, the mailing label they have you print out matches the info for you item. The labels are order specific. So deregistering it shouldn't be an issue.
I've always do a factory reset which does deregister the Kindles. Never an issue. They are probably backed up with all the returns but yes do give them a call.

Once you get your refund you might try Best Buy. Some are having luck there in getting a no blob unit.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote