Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #676
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I don't think I'm going to have a set target next year. I might have a few mini-challenges, and I still have my non-timed challenges (such as reading all the Hugo winners, which I've been slowly working through for the last few years - the half of them I hadn't already read, at least).

I am going to keep recording them on a blog. Otherwise it's hard to remember what I've read and what I haven't.

I've stupidly ended up having to record my reads in three or four different places, this year. I'm going to cut that down next year.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #677
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Where ever I wind up 2012 at I will probably go for that same level again in 2013. I finished up 2011 at 83 books and I am going for that level again in 2012, although it looks like I will end up a tad short this year.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #678
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Inspired by HomeInMyShoes' challenge of reading different decades I went back and looked at my reading since I got my Kindle. It isn't what I expected.

Since I do a fair amount of re-reading, I was expecting maybe 40-50% of the books (including short stories) I read to have been written since 2000 - in reality it is 70%. And 40+% were written in 2010 or later. I was expecting 20-25% to be from the 90s (from when I was in high school and college and which I tend to re-read a lot), it is less than 15%.

It turns out (as expected once I thought about it) that a lot of this has to do with how many "indie" books I have been reading and how easily available (and generally cheap) they are with an e-reader. I have read 53 indie books over the last 2 years and only 1 of them was written before 2000, 40 of them were written since 2010 (50 since 2008). My original guesses were very close, if I don't include the indies.

I may try to fill in some gaps next year, or even this year still, but regardless it was an interesting diversion.

/Sorry for my geek out, you may now all return to your regular programming...

Last edited by Dazrin; 05-16-2014 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Removed obsolete links
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #679
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm shocked I'm an inspiration.

Code:
PRE	1
1900	2
1910	1
1920	3
1930	1
1940	1
1950	2
1960	5
1970	2
1980	8
1990	10
2000	18
2010	6
Making an effort to cover all the decades didn't skew the present day bulk much. I did enjoy the 60s selections quite a bit, but almost everything I've read in the last two months has been post 1990.

Book number 60 is complete. Only one more book left in the Myth series now to finally finish that series.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #680
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here we are at the start of the finish of the third quarter of 2012 and if we are going to make our goals we should have 3/4 of the way to our goals. Since my goal was 83 then 83/4 = 20.75 books per quarter * 3 for three quarters that are done with = 62.25 I should be done with by now if I want to complete my reading challenge this year and so far I am at 65 which means that I am a little bit ahead of where I need to be at this by the tune of approximately three books. How are you doing in your quest to obtain your goal?
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #681
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
My reading grounded to a stop a couple of months ago. I tried kick starting it by reading short stories (as suggested earlier in the thread), but it didn't take.

I have two books, from two of the series I want to read/reread coming in this week, that I pre-ordered during the summer. I'm hoping that will light a spark, especially during the holidays.

Last edited by Nyssa; 10-01-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #682
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I'm on my 43rd of 50 books. Well on target, despite a bit of a slow month in September. I still have about 9 books I want to read before the end of the year, so I'm going to have to exceed it slightly to get them all in, but I'm not expecting that to be difficult.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #683
jbcohen
Wizard

I would say Dr. that you will most likely exceed your target for 2012 so perhaps in 2013 your target should be a tad higher.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #684
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I would have met my challenge already if I hadn't bought 48 Georgette Heyer titles in August!

Now I need to read about 15-20 books a month if I'm going to make it. And that's assuming that I don't buy any more books except those I get on subscription!

And so far this year I've averaged only about 14 books/month.... Of course, that does include most of June re-reading The Lord of the Rings. Discounting that, my average this year is just over 16....

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-01-2012 at 10:12 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #685
jbcohen
Wizard

You would have met your challenge had you not picked up 48 Georgette Heyer book. Oh, I know how that is I need to lash myself down sometimes to refrain from buying several more then I can read at the moment. I think there was a thread for people like the two of us, I think it was called the Book Buyer Addict's thread. I do not allow myself to buy anything new until I have finished one of current books. I typically have two going at any point in time and at the moment its Horus Rising and the First and Only, both of these are black library books, and I won't allow myself to buy anything new until I finish one of those two. Its too easy to buy my way into the poor house with these books, I have been addicted for many years.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #686
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I should easily make my yearly goal of 20,000 pages, maybe even this month.

I need to re-evaluate for next year though. I expect that the number of large re-reads (for my WoT challenge) has boosted my page count this year, so I will probably set my goal for next year at the average of this year and last and go from there. Right now that looks like a goal of ~23,000 pages, but I know I will slow down during the holidays, so that may drop a bit.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #687
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
You would have met your challenge had you not picked up 48 Georgette Heyer book. Oh, I know how that is I need to lash myself down sometimes to refrain from buying several more then I can read at the moment. I think there was a thread for people like the two of us, I think it was called the Book Buyer Addict's thread.
That's the Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread. Which I started, back in June 2011.

In my defence, the 48 Georgette Heyer books only cost me just under $90, thanks to a splendid promotion by the publisher.

Well, it has made the challenge a real challenge for me this year!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #688
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I'm on my 43rd of 50 books. Well on target, despite a bit of a slow month in September. I still have about 9 books I want to read before the end of the year, so I'm going to have to exceed it slightly to get them all in, but I'm not expecting that to be difficult.
I'm in sort of a similar situation. I was five books behind goal but have caught up to within one book of goal. At the moment I should be around 38 books read out of 50 and I'm at 37. But the extra reading I've been doing to catch up I hope to keep doing to get a good bit ahead, because I have more actual books to read than my goal makes it seem like, so I'll need to stay ahead by a good margin to get them all in.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #689
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
My reading grounded to a stop a couple of months ago. I tried kick starting it by reading short stories (as suggested earlier in the thread), but it didn't take.

I have two books, from two of the series I want to read/reread coming in this week, that I pre-ordered during the summer. I'm hoping that will light a spark, especially during the holidays.
Aw, Nyssa, so sorry that didn't help. It did help me, but it still was an on again off again thing, until it kicked in the interest for longer books. I even had to switch genres (mainstream comedy romance and mystery - short, fluffy, fun stuff) to get back into a reading habit. I found that I was doing other things in the time I had used for reading in the past and had to change _that_ new habit in order to get back to my old reading habit. I hope you find a way to get back the joy of reading once again.

I'm still on goal; I met the first 6 month goal and have held to my second 6 month goal (no more than 18 purchased books by the end of the year).
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #690
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I would say Dr. that you will most likely exceed your target for 2012 so perhaps in 2013 your target should be a tad higher.
I had to giggle because that sounds like endurance training or sales quotas.

I've already surpassed my goal by quite a bit, but I'm not interested in reaching for the next bar. I'd rather think of it as my "preferred minimum" above which anything is a bonus achievement of sorts.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote