Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Will the new Kindle(s) touch change your mind about getting a Nook Touch?
Yes 27 24.32%
No 73 65.77%
I don't know yet 11 9.91%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Will the new Kindle(s) touch change your mind about getting a Nook Touch

Let's do a poll!

If you were on the market for a touch eink reader, and Nook Touch was a strong option for you. Will the new Kindle(s) touch change your mind or make you think about it?

Please be aware I am talking about the eink devices only! Not tablets, no NC, no Kindle Fire.

By the way, it would be nice if those without a Nook Touch vote here. If you have a Nook Touch already, I guess answering the poll makes no sense, no?

Last edited by jocampo; 09-28-2011 at 03:28 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Well, Amazon has finally released a version of Kindle that looks good to me. I never could stand that keyboard that they included..... might be useful for students, but my ereader is not a study device.

The only drawback now to the new Kindle is the lack of epub support. When they include that, I might find myself buying one.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLavigne View Post
The only drawback now to the new Kindle is the lack of epub support. When they include that, I might find myself buying one.
Vic
Very unlikely

And honestly (without starting another format debate, which is a very old topic by the way) makes no sense. With full support for library lending, I see no major advantages on DRM ePub over AZW.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I voted no, shocker, LOL but in all honestly it still has the ePub and the Sd card factor in it's favor. Remember the the non ad Kindle touch is the same price as the Nook STR.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Remember the the non ad Kindle touch is the same price as the Nook STR.
... without landscape mode, without whisper-sync ... without Amazon customer support ...
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
... without landscape mode, without whisper-sync ... without Amazon customer support ...
The Nook StR syncs with your other Nook devices and your mobile App. Actually there was an update to improve on this about a month or two ago.

Landscape mode is useless for the most part when reading a 6 inch novel, who actually cares?

and instore cutomer support plus free goodies from the starbucks cafe ROCKS

by the way are you conducting a general Poll or trying to Evangelize your Kindle Kool Aid Kult propaganda.

Your rep around here is quite infamous for doing the above.

just sayin

Last edited by boswd; 09-28-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
The Nook StR syncs with your other Nook devices and your mobile App. Actuall there was an update to improve on this about a month or two ago.

Landscape mode is useless for the most part when reading a 6inch novel, who actually cares?

and instore cutomer support plus free goodies from the starbucks cafe ROCKS

by the way are conducting a general Poll or trying to Evangelize your Kindle Kool Aid Kult propaganda.

Your rep around here is quite infamous for doing the above.

just sayin
I think that if you don't want to vote or have any opinion about it, that's fine. That's all I will say.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
boswd
Banned

Quote:
I think that if you don't want to vote or have any opinion about it, that's fine. That's all I will say.
I did vote and I did have an opinion but now you are try to Evanglize what you consider the kindle's selling points.

soooo are you trying to convert nook users with this cockamamee poll or not, at least be honest with your intentions.

that's all
Old 09-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
OrganicJerk
Enthusiast
OrganicJerk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.OrganicJerk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.OrganicJerk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Nook STR
Quote:
... Amazon customer support ...
Amazon customer support? OK, well the Kindle doesn't come with Microsoft customer support, right? It doesn't come with Sony customer support, either...hrmm.

Although the Nook does come with B&N Customer support, which is what I would expect it to come with, which can be reached by calling 1-800-THE-BOOK or walking over to your nearest B&N store and helping yourself to a store-full of free reads while there, being able to feel and try out products and accessories before you buy so you don't have to worry about shipping returns, and quick access to Starbucks coffee.

Last edited by OrganicJerk; 09-28-2011 at 05:09 PM.
OrganicJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Nook still has advantages despite being released earlier:

- epub support
- page turn buttons
- Android based and already rooted -- much more flexibility/potential

If new Kindle had any these features, I would consider it, but right now just waiting for the Sony Reader to come out and hear some reviews and will decide between the two.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #11
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I would never buy an ereader that made me look at ads, and without being forced to look at ads, the price isn't anything to write home about. I'm very happy with my STR.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #12
TrvlrsChick
Enthusiast
TrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook STR
I will admit, now that the Kindle can finally use library books, I may have considered it more heavily. However, I love my STR. I love the concave back with the rubbery touch, I love that the bezels are a decent size and have buttons (which, by the way, I use quite a bit) and I love that it has ePub. I'd still get the STR.
TrvlrsChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #13
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Is the new Kindle e-ink reader the same size as the old Kindle, or more squarish like the Nook STR? Like I imagine a lot of women, mine lives in my purse, so even a small size difference is huge for me. I wouldn't get one that was longer than the STR either.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #14
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
These new Kindles, while they are a lot better than the older ones, still do not have 2 things I consider essential.

Epub support
Card Slot

Without these, I would rather pass.

I am looking at the new Sony T1, though. That seems like a nice reader and I will give it a look.

Oh, by the way, now that the Kindle has a touchscreen, it seems to be okay now. Just sayin...
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #15
graff_king
Enthusiast
graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR, Kindle 3 wifi, i4s, htc evo, BB 9810, moto xoom,NC
I currently have a Nook STR I did pre-order a Kindle touch today. I want to have a side by side for myself without having to muddle through others views of one companies business practices or the other
graff_king is offline   Reply With Quote