Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
borisb
Edge User

Question Best portable keyboard for the eDGe

(retracted)

Last edited by borisb; 08-15-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Hi Boris,
I ordered the Solidtek model, it came today. It's tiny, like my net-books keyboard, so I am already used to the size. Caps lock does not work with the Edge, and you kind of need to hit the hit the keys straight down. One thing I did notice was that the Edge kind of flickers/and or freezes when you unplug the USB cord. Other than that I'm happy with it.

Advert
Old 04-03-2010, 01:28 AM   #3
kenjennings
Edge User

I'm using the Solidtek mini USB keyboard (ASK-3100SU). Currently $25 at CompUSA/TigerDirect (20010-04-30)

Oddly, the edge doesn't recognize caps lock (an Android quirk, I think), so the shift key must be held down to get upper case. I'm not having any issue with typing pressure required to make the keys work.

The edge sometimes lags the keyboard -- this seems to happen when a new program starts accepting typed input and then after about ten characters everything seems to be in sync. It also seems to happen when holding down cursor keys that start repeating.. This must be a software issue in the edge (aka Android). None of this happened on any other linux system with this keyboard.

In any case these are entirely minor and hardly rate a description as an inconvenience. I wrote this using the keyboard and managed to get this far without irritation or frustration. Definitely faster and more accurate than the onscreen keyboard.

Last edited by kenjennings; 05-02-2010 at 11:15 PM.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
mgm1979
Edge User

tested the DiNovo Mini b/c I had it for my media PC...works well...but still quite small for use with the eDGe - may as well just use the virtual keyboard.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm1979 View Post
tested the DiNovo Mini b/c I had it for my media PC...works well...but still quite small for use with the eDGe - may as well just use the virtual keyboard.
Yup, there's no question that's a thumb keyboard and personally, I wouldn't bother with the trouble of an extra keyboard that doesn't let me actually touch type. But, maybe some people find thumb typing easier than one arm cradled pecking at the virtual keyboard. It's still the best media centre PC remote, though, hands down!

Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
Puckersuck
Edge User

I purchased the Arc keyboard, USB wireless. It's sleek and makes a good looking mate formy eDge. Problem is it's not working. Batteries are in and it's a little tricky to turn on/off but I got it. My eDGe will be on, I plug the dongle in the USB port, and the screen goes off. When I take USB out it turns back on (but not a reboot). I tried turning off the eDGE and keyboard and rebooting. Nothing. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
rwarden
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm1979 View Post
How did you get a bluetooth keyboard to work with the eDGe?

Old 04-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
ckole
Edge User

I just went to my local Fry's Electronics and purchased a SIIG, Inc Mini USB keyboard for $17.99. It works just fine. There were 2 other brands available. One for $14.99 and another also for $17.99. There was a wireless one for $29.99 but my local store didn't have it.

I have my eDGe in landscape mode and I am typing this response. At least on the keyboard if you want the CAPS lock on you just have to press the shift key twice. The traditional button doesn't work as previously mentioned.

If you press the ALT key and the left arrow you can turn the screen off.
If you press the ALT key and the right arrow the screen will come back on
Space for page down in the browser and shift space for page up.

I am going to search for other Android keyboard shortcuts and will report accordingly. Now we just need mouse support. Maybe when Chrome comes out it could be supported on here. Who knows.

Last edited by ckole; 04-06-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:14 PM   #9
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Wouldn't the Bluetooth dongle need a driver, that maybe the edge couldn't provide, that might have confused the system. Although I did have a screen blackout too when plugging in a USB, but it blinked right back on.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:30 PM   #10
cheyennedonna
Edge User

OK, I looked it up, it's a wireless 2.4 GHz transmitter, but it is OS specific to Apple MacOS X 10.4.x - 10.6.x, Microsoft Windows Vista / XP / 7, although it is driverless.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #11
OracleFromChicago
Edge User

I use Logitech keyboard for Playstation 2. It's a great little keyboard and it fits in my Cocoon case with everything else. I picked it up on Ebay for $10.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #12
ckole
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OracleFromChicago View Post
I use Logitech keyboard for Playstation 2. It's a great little keyboard and it fits in my Cocoon case with everything else. I picked it up on Ebay for $10.
Do you have a part code for this keyboard? or link to the old listing on eBay.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #13
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I think sarah11918 is actually using this keyboard with her eDGe...?
I have the diNovo mini keyboard at home for our PC media centre. I'm not yet at home, so I haven't tested it specifically with the eDGe. I just know the keyboard very well.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #14
Rebecca
Edge User

I also purchased the ARC keyboard and had the same results. As soon as you plug it in the edge goes off, unplug you're back. Tech didn't have a solution so I returned it and got the Targus folding from Amazon. The ARC did work with my PC but I didn't need another keyboard.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:01 AM   #15
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckole View Post
I just went to my local Fry's Electronics and purchased a SIIG, Inc Mini USB keyboard for $17.99.
Would this be the one; http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=JK-US0312-S1 ?

Gunner...