Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
superfuzzy
superfuzzy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4
Kindle 4 not showing books?

Hello, first time user here

I bought my partner a 4th gen Kindle for Xmas, since I have been so happy with my 3rd gen.

She has lots of PDFs that she wants to read but they have not been cooperating. Most of the files she adds, seem to transfer properly but we cannot see them on the Kindle. Some of them worked but the majority did not. We tried copying them in Windows to the Documents folder, which did not work. Then we got Calibre and transferred them that way (converting to MOBI in the process). Still they do not show up, even though looking at the device through Calibre shows them as having transferred correctly.

I read somewhere on here someone suggested rebooting the device, so I held the power button (the 4th gen does not have a slider) for about 15-20 secs. It rebooted as normal, with the progress bar. However, upon getting to the home screen, it showed no books at all! I tried searching for some, which returned nothing. Then going back to the home screen, a few books showed up but still nothing compared to what was there before...

Does anyone know why this is happening? Is the device faulty or could it be down to just many bad files?

please!
superfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
My guess is that the Kindle is having a difficult time with the PDF files. I've found that re-saving the PDFs often helps. On my iMac, I use Preview to "save" a bad PDF as a PDF, and that works to make a PDF readable one on of my ereaders.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfuzzy View Post
Hello, first time user here

I bought my partner a 4th gen Kindle for Xmas, since I have been so happy with my 3rd gen.

She has lots of PDFs that she wants to read but they have not been cooperating. Most of the files she adds, seem to transfer properly but we cannot see them on the Kindle. Some of them worked but the majority did not. We tried copying them in Windows to the Documents folder, which did not work. Then we got Calibre and transferred them that way (converting to MOBI in the process). Still they do not show up, even though looking at the device through Calibre shows them as having transferred correctly.

I read somewhere on here someone suggested rebooting the device, so I held the power button (the 4th gen does not have a slider) for about 15-20 secs. It rebooted as normal, with the progress bar. However, upon getting to the home screen, it showed no books at all! I tried searching for some, which returned nothing. Then going back to the home screen, a few books showed up but still nothing compared to what was there before...

Does anyone know why this is happening? Is the device faulty or could it be down to just many bad files?

please!
Try a Factory reset. Make sure the books look okay in Calibre or Mobipocket Reader then reload the mobi books first see if they show up. If not try a free Amazon book. It could be the books are corrupted or you have a defective device.

Books go in the Documents folder.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote