Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
italianReader
Connoisseur
italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: onyx boox 60
How much is a touchscreen worth?

In other words...how much would you pay to add a touchscreen to your e-reader or how much discount do you think it's reasonable between a touchscreen model and a non-touchscreen one?

Just to give the question a little bit more context:

I'm going to buy a pocketboock 90x and I'm trying to evaluate if I should go with the 902 model (no touchscreen, no 3G) or the 903 (touchscreen, 3G).
I know I will never use the 3G, and so I'm trying to evaluate what can be a "right" price for the touchscreen feature. In this particular case the price difference is 70€ (329€ vs 399€).
Personally I'm wavering between the 2 models but I think I will buy the 902.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 12-26-2010 at 07:31 PM. Reason: fixed typo
italianReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
tao
Book Lover
tao began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Kindle 3
I use both Sony PRS-505 and Kindle 3G Wi-Fi. In my opinion, touch screen is not necessary at all for eBook readers.

I suppose you need the touch screen for note-taking. For me, a pencil and a pad of paper answered pretty well in that regard. Other than that, no need for touch screen at all.

Touch screen is for iPads, but, an iPad is not an eBook reader, isn't it?
tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
-0-. in fact I would run screaming from any touch screen ereading device
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
While I won't buy one that is NOT a touchscreen (plus buttons), after using the IR-based system on my PRS-650. Worth at least $50 to me, in the current pricing scheme. I think we'll see E-ink reader prices race below $100 in another year or two as color tablets grab more market share.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
italianReader
Connoisseur
italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
I use both Sony PRS-505 and Kindle 3G Wi-Fi. In my opinion, touch screen is not necessary at all for eBook readers.

I suppose you need the touch screen for note-taking. For me, a pencil and a pad of paper answered pretty well in that regard. Other than that, no need for touch screen at all.

Touch screen is for iPads, but, an iPad is not an eBook reader, isn't it?
To be honest I find it pretty useful also with the dictionary and few other things. On the other side I have to admit that I have never had an e-reader without touchscreen so i can't make a real comparison.
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I would subtract $100 for a touchscreen. I can't stand the fingerprints! I have a 13 year-old whose fingers are never clean - can you imagine fingerprints made while eating Cheetos?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:16 PM   #7
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I was firmly in the "why do I want to buy a reader with a stupid touchscreen I don't need" camp until I bought the Sony 650 and now I regard it as a useful feature for certain functionality such as dictionary lookup of words you don't understand whilst reading and selecting options from the menus. Its a little unnecessary for turning pages though.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I won't buy another reader without a touchscreen; I like the implementation of touch on the Alex and the new Sonys that much. I've given up using my Kindle in favor of the K4* apps on my iThings because the touchscreens are more comfortable for me to use.

As far as how much extra I'm willing to spend to get a touchscreen...if Amazon made a touchscreen WiFi Kindle I'd be willing to pay another $50 to $100 over the button version.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
DarkRoast
Enthusiast
DarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader 650
Love the Sony 650 touch screen. It was one of the things I preferred about it over the Kindle. I think it makes it a much more interactive, tactile and personal experience.
DarkRoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I would subtract $100 for a touchscreen. I can't stand the fingerprints! I have a 13 year-old whose fingers are never clean - can you imagine fingerprints made while eating Cheetos?
Actually, you don't get much in the way of noticeable fingerprints on the 650. Take your current K3 and touch the screen. Swipe on the screen. Tap the screen. You will see you don't really see the fingerprints.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
I was firmly in the "why do I want to buy a reader with a stupid touchscreen I don't need" camp until I bought the Sony 650 and now I regard it as a useful feature for certain functionality such as dictionary lookup of words you don't understand whilst reading and selecting options from the menus. Its a little unnecessary for turning pages though.
Just wait. When the non-touch screen readers have worn out buttons, the touch screens will still work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:00 PM   #12
dengar
Connoisseur
dengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with others

Device: PW2, K3, Ipad 4, Kindle Fire
I dont touch the pages on my paper books when I read. Why would I want to touch the screen on my e-reader?
dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:54 PM   #13
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengar View Post
I dont touch the pages on my paper books when I read. Why would I want to touch the screen on my e-reader?
Really? Do the pages turn themselves when the time is right? Is it some sort of psychic command? I'd like a pbook like that.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:04 AM   #14
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Really? Do the pages turn themselves when the time is right? Is it some sort of psychic command? I'd like a pbook like that.

-Marcy
Now that most readers are getting a wireless connection it won't be too long before you'll be able to do a Vulcan mind-meld and command the pages to turn
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:38 AM   #15
italianReader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
You should consider also the Wacom touchscreen. No fingerprints. And no glare.