Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 05:45 AM   #1
paul tee
paul tee began at the beginning.

Device: none
reading illegally downloade pdf files on kindle

hi

I have quit a lot illegally downloaded pdf files (don't worry I actually do buy books also, especially if I think the athor deserves it, but I simply can.t buy everything that I read, or intent to read)
Can I just import them in Kindle (first convert them with free software?)
or do you recommand another ereader ?

thanks
Old 11-13-2010, 06:06 AM   #2
paul tee
paul tee began at the beginning.

Device: none
couldnot find answer/info on this in the FAq Though I expected it there.
Is it mentioned somewhre else ?
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 06:26 AM   #3
Kyste
Kyste doesn't litterKyste doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLié TJ25/Kindle 3
I won't adress the legality part, but unless it's a .pdf with a lot of pictures, you can convert them to .txt and read that on your kindle.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:36 AM   #4
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyste View Post
I won't adress the legality part, but unless it's a .pdf with a lot of pictures, you can convert them to .txt and read that on your kindle.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:43 AM   #5
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Use calibre to convert them to mobi and then you van transfer them to your kindle to read.
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
Yes, You can read them on a Kindle. Just don't use Amazon to convert/transfer these files. Use Calibre and USB/Wifi to transfer the books to the Kindle.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
manalesar
manalesar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX 2 Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkov View Post
Yes, You can read them on a Kindle. Just don't use Amazon to convert/transfer these files. Use Calibre and USB/Wifi to transfer the books to the Kindle.
And what about using Amazon to transfer such files ? Would they bother to do anything about it ? Did such a situation take place in the past ?
Old 11-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
Esquire1
Banned
Esquire1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 wifi; PRS-500 (gone); iPad NOT for reading e-books ;)
It's strange how MR actually let's these topics go on. Baffles me. They are too busy policing user titles instead.

Last edited by Esquire1; 11-13-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
PDF blows. If you can, find the book in another format. Pretty much ANY other format will convert better to mobi.

If you must do it, I find that using acrobat, if you have it, to first export to HTML, then using calibre to convert from HTML to mobi works tolerably. You can also edit the HTML manually to clean things up a bit.

Btw, I'm not sure why people feel the need to bring up the fact that they got their books illegally when asking for routine technical help. TMI. People here are not your doctor, priest, or lawyer.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
haha. I tried converting a paper to Mobi so that I could read it on the Kindle. It just saved it as a bunch of page-images... which is when I realized I should try to put it into word and save as html and then try to convert from there... which kinda worked
Old 11-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #11
booknut
Zealot
booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PW1 + PW2, NOOK HD
I purchased a program called pdf2epub by ImTOO and that does a very nice job of converting PDF to epub, which I then read with Duokan...
Old 11-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esquire1 View Post
It's strange how MR actually let's these topics go on. Baffles me. They are too busy policing user titles instead.
discussing theory is fine
Old 11-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #13
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
I don't think its a problem, not like people are telling him where to download pirated material.

and hey if amazon does not want to sell titles in Canada, i guess i can't buy them can i.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #14
notatoad
Enthusiast
notatoad began at the beginning.

Device: Graphite Kindle 3G
calibre will convert PDF files to .mobi, the native format of the kindle.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #15
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
since you crossed the Rubicon, why not go illegally download Abbyy Finereader and really convert them right
Closed Thread

Tags
illlegally downloaded pdf