Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #76
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Thanks for the battery life info!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #77
jswinden
Nameless Being

A MacRumors article says that many people are experiencing issues with personal hotspots after updating to 7.1. After updating many are unable to save APN settings for personal hotspots. They show a screen capture from a T-Mobile iPhone (see below). I have T-Mobile but my hotspot is working okay. However, I set up my hotspot before upgrading to 7.1. I think in 7.1 settings are not getting saved, but in my case they are okay since I previously set it up. Anyway, if you are on the edge trying to decide whether to upgrade, this is something to think about.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #78
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What's an "APN", Jack? I've never set up the personal hotspot on my Retina Mini before, but I don't have to do anything except switch it on and, optionally, change the randomly-generated password.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #79
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Starting to run low now:

Usage: 9h 0m
Standby: 3d 16h
Battery: 29%
Just got the 10% "Low Battery" warning after 11h 2m of usage, split about equally between reading in the Kindle App and web browsing. That's four days usage for me, which I'm very happy with. So no battery concerns with iOS 7.1.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:01 PM   #80
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
What's an "APN", Jack? I've never set up the personal hotspot on my Retina Mini before, but I don't have to do anything except switch it on and, optionally, change the randomly-generated password.
An Access Point Name (APN) is the name of a gateway between your iPhone and another device. When you set up your iPhone as a hotspot you can customize the name the APN while entering the required information. This is the same as when you name your home WiFi, for example.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:36 PM   #81
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks. Interestingly, I don't seem to have that option on my Mini - the hotspot name is automatically set to the device's name.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #82
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Thanks. Interestingly, I don't seem to have that option on my Mini - the hotspot name is automatically set to the device's name.
I think it is up to your cellular carrier to choose which options they allow.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #83
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I updated my iPad4. So far no crashes in Safari. Hooray! Battery life at 57% after 5+ hours of usage. Going to update my phone next.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #84
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Two days ago I had my first Safari crash on my iPad Air since 7.1, but it was just Safari that shut down and not a Apple logo reboot like I was getting on a daily basis. I did a manual reboot anyway. Since then, I have had some apps be unresponsive for several seconds when they are first launched.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:49 AM   #85
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

11 hr 49 min of usage at 5% on my iPad4. Still no Safari crashes. Battery life seems normal on my iPhone 5s. Suppose I'll update my Mini over the weekend.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:49 AM   #86
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
11 hr 49 min of usage at 5% on my iPad4. Still no Safari crashes. Battery life seems normal on my iPhone 5s. Suppose I'll update my Mini over the weekend.
That's what I am seeing too. Definitely much better on 7.1 than before
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #87
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anyone with an iPad Air experiencing freezes? It has happened in multiple apps, usually shortly after the app is launched, where the app freezes and becomes unresponsive for several seconds to minutes. Almost more annoying than the reboots because you never know how long it will last. Sometimes the app will crash as soon as it becomes responsive, but not usually.

Also been having the camera app freeze on my iPhone 4s when switching from shooting mode to review mode.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #88
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I have had some games freeze up on 7.1 on my iPod. It might just be that they need an update to optimize them.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:50 PM   #89
MeSue
Geek in the Forest

Most of the freezing apps have had post 7.1 updates. The ones I remember it happening in are Safari, Facebook, and W.E.L.D.E.R. (Game).
Old 03-29-2014, 04:35 AM   #90
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Finally took the time to upgrade my iPad 3, and of course what I'm noticing at first is the negative stuff: some minor changes that I'll have to get used to. Nothing really annoying except one thing: navigating between apps via double pressing the iPad button has become almost unusable. I think the double press is not working as it used to, I need to press faster for it to work, but that may be my imagination. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I am NOT imagining the huge lag between the double press and the appearance of the screen where you see the apps, and the equally huge lag when I press on an app to bring it to the foreground.

Is this only happening to me? Is my iPad 3 becoming too old to upgrade?
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote