Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
Gadget_girl
Connoisseur
Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Aura HD Espresso, Sony PRS-650
Recommend books for Teenage Boys?

I'm looking for book recommendations for my 14 y.o. son. Things he's read this year:
R.A. Salvatore books
Eragon Series

I have trouble finding things for him to read that hold his attention. He's into action adventure movies such as Indiana Jones. He reads plenty of comics and graphic novels, but I'd like some longer works for him to read while on trips. When he was younger, he liked lots of spy novels, Zack Power etc. I'd appreciate any ideas you folks have.
Gadget_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Butcher's Codex Alera series is popular and available from Overdrive so it's free to try.

Rick Yancey's Monstrumologist series is thriller/scary.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Another is The Escape From Furnace series by Alexander Gordon Smith. It's near-future about a boy's prison.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Forbidden the Stars book 1 of the Interstellar age Trilogy by Valmore Daniels is good. It's free and the two other books aren't that expensive as ebooks either.
Forbidden The Stars
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I reviewed a book by Andy Gavin on my site that I thought would be good for teenage boys. It's called Untimed. Amazon (US)

I'll include the link to my review which might shed some further light (and possible provisos) on the recommendation: Review
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:21 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
My teenage sons (14 and 18) have been reading the Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanigan books since they started coming out. They have both reread them several times. I read the first and it was a reasonable read.

The elder one also liked the Alex Rider books by Anthony Horowitz. They are about a teenage James Bond-like character. I read the first two or three and they were fun.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:28 AM   #7
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
My 15 year old brother loves the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer and the Percy Jackson and the Olympians books by Rick Riordan.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:52 AM   #8
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Lois McMaster Bujold: The Warrior's Apprentice.

You might also try the Halo books by Tobias Buckell or Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. Or Another Fine Myth by Robert Aspirin (it's the start of a delightful and hilarious series, so if he likes it there'll be plenty of reading material to follow.)

I presume he's already read Harry Potter...?
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:17 AM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget_girl View Post
I'm looking for book recommendations for my 14 y.o. son. Things he's read this year:
R.A. Salvatore books
Eragon Series

I have trouble finding things for him to read that hold his attention. He's into action adventure movies such as Indiana Jones. He reads plenty of comics and graphic novels, but I'd like some longer works for him to read while on trips. When he was younger, he liked lots of spy novels, Zack Power etc. I'd appreciate any ideas you folks have.
I'd suggest the Honor Harrington series by David Weber, beginning with On Basilisk Station. Although not written with teens as the target audience, the books are excellent military sci-fi without language issues. Most importantly, as he reads through the series (preferably in order) in he will learn to respect women as equals.

When my son was 15, I introduced him to the series and he loved it. I also noticed over time a subtle change in his attitude toward females. Beforehand he was a typical male teenager -- men are strong, women are weak, etc. Even my preaching of equality over the years couldn't fully offset peer pressure attitudes.

But as he progressed through the Honor Harrington series, he began to look at things differently.

I doubt this was intended by Weber, but it is the effect of having a well-rounded, high-quality female hero who earns respect both from fictional colleagues and from readers.

The other advantage to this series is that there are lots of offshoots written by both Weber and other authors, so that if your son likes the Honorverse (as Harrington's universe is called), he can continue reading about other characters.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
Gadget_girl
Connoisseur
Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.

Wow, some excellent choices there. Quite a few that I've read, that I forgot about, I'll have to go dig them out of my closet for him & see if he likes them. I've got the Codex Alera in there for sure. He's read some of the Alex rider ones - as graphic novels at any rate. I know he's read at least half of the harry potter books, I'm not sure he's done them. I'll see if he's read any of these other books at school. Thanks so much.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Seconding quite a few that have already been mentioned - Alex Rider, Percy Jackson, Escape from the Furnace. I'd also add Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy and H.I.V.E. by Mark Walden.

Also, hmm. The Hunger Games? Gone by Michael Grant?
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Susan Cooper's _The Dark is Rising_ Pentalogy
John Christopher's _Sword of the Spirits_ Trilogy
Hal Gordon's _Divers Down! (Adventure Under Hawaiian Seas)_ (available as a free audio book last I checked at feed://www.uvulaaudio.com/kids/Kids.xml )
H. Beam Piper's Terro-Human Future books available in an omnibus edition here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47980

Girl Genius is fabulous if he likes graphic novels.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
Gadget_girl
Connoisseur

Girl Genius is fabulous. He reads it 3 days a week, and we have all the paperbacks.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Susan Cooper's _The Dark is Rising_ Pentalogy
John Christopher's _Sword of the Spirits_ Trilogy
Hal Gordon's _Divers Down! (Adventure Under Hawaiian Seas)_ (available as a free audio book last I checked at feed://www.uvulaaudio.com/kids/Kids.xml )
H. Beam Piper's Terro-Human Future books available in an omnibus edition here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47980

Girl Genius is fabulous if he likes graphic novels.

William
I agree, Susan Cooper's "Dark is Rising" books are a great read.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Roger Zalazny's Amber series

Lawrence Watt-Evan's Ethshar series, starting with The Misenchanted Sword

Does he like Dragons/Fantasy? If so, I've just read Jo Walton's Tooth and Claw which I really liked. But it's not your usual Dragon fantasy story....

How about Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson as an adventuresome classic? The book is much better than the films.

Scott Martin's Thraxas series is an excellent detective fantasy (although sadly incomplete)

John Ringo's short series that starts with March Upcountry is very good

Terry Pratchett's Johhny Maxwell series, starting with Only You Can Save Mankind.

OK, that's half the alphabet covered.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote