Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
schgabor
schgabor began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Exclamation Device freezes during taking notes

I have a PRS-950 and I would be the most happy man on earth, if it would not freeze during taking notes with the Text Memo tool.

I am using the reader for reading PDFs and than taking text memos of the files to create a literature review. Doing the same on the laptop, computer or anything not with e-ink display just kills my eyes in a couple of hours. I think I am not alone with this. So it would be realy nice to get this problem fixed, as otherwise the prs-950 is a very good tool to read pdf-s, highlight the text and take text memos.

Here is what happens. I start adding a new text memo, enter the text with the stylus, and at some point it freezes, and I either have to restart or it restarts by itself. It does not matter if I type slowly or quickly. The battery is fully charged. I have the updated firmware. I have tried removing all the notes I have taken and I also have removed all the text memos, there are only PDFs loaded on the reader (around 100 files, ~150 MB), with a lot of free space, but it still does the same. In fact it happens more and more often. It does not freeze during reading, just during entering the text memo.

Does anyone know a solution? Or has anyone else faced the same issue? Or should I just by another reader?

Thanks a lot!
schgabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
You mean text memos, right? Not annotation notes. In any case, the following should work.

Writing text memos was causing my 650 to reboot. A hard reset fixed it. It was caused by a 'bad' book on my ereader. The book caused general instability, and not only when reading the particular book.

So clean all the books off, do a soft reset (reformat memory from menu) then if that doesn't work do a hard-reset (the process is described on this forum).

I think that will fix it.

On a side note, the latest version of Prs+ allows you save annotations and text memos on your PC. Also you can flip between text memos and books at the flick of a switch with some creative key-binding.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
schgabor

Thanks Rizla,

yes, I meant the Text Memo tool. And in fact, the hard reset has worked! And I have reloaded exactly the same PDFs, and it works fine (at least until now).

Actiually, I am satisfied with the memos the 950 makes, i can open them in a simple text editor. However, a much welcome improvement would be a device that can export the text exactly as I have highlighted them. Do you happen to know of something like that?

Thanks a lot.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******
BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by schgabor View Post
Thanks Rizla,

yes, I meant the Text Memo tool. And in fact, the hard reset has worked! And I have reloaded exactly the same PDFs, and it works fine (at least until now).

Actiually, I am satisfied with the memos the 950 makes, i can open them in a simple text editor. However, a much welcome improvement would be a device that can export the text exactly as I have highlighted them. Do you happen to know of something like that?

Thanks a lot.
Hi there,

I am one of the developers for PRS+, the one responsible for the SaveNotepadData addon. I recently added the functionality that I think you are wanting. If you have the "Save Contents of Highlights" option on, then when you highlight text in a book the selected text is saved to a TXT file (including the page number). To be honest, I don't know if it will work for PDFs since I have never tested it. But I know it works fine with EPUB files.

Also, if you add a note to a bookmark, the note is also saved to the same TXT file. So it is actually quite easy now to save quotations and then make comments.

Note that the order of the quotations and comments in the TXT file is the order you make them! There is no way to automatically rearrange them into the proper page number order. But you can always do that later on a PC.

Sincerely,
Ben.
BenChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
schgabor

Hi Ben,

thanks for your response! I meant saving the actual highlighting to the pdf file, as if I would highlight the text with adobe acrobat or a similar pdf reader that allows text highlighting. I mean highilghting on the reader and than copying back the pdf, or exporting it back and than having a pdf with highlighted text on the computer for a regular pdf reader exactly as I have it on the reader.

Though saving the text itself I highlighted could be useful as well. Can I gat that on a prs950, and if yes how?

Cheers!

Gabor
Old 03-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
PRS+ for the 950
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:25 AM   #7
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******
BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Though saving the text itself I highlighted could be useful as well. Can I gat that on a prs950, and if yes how?
Hi Gabor,

PRS+ is available at http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/

Sincerely,
Ben.
BenChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:53 AM   #8
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Hi Ben,

thanks for your response! I meant saving the actual highlighting to the pdf file, as if I would highlight the text with adobe acrobat or a similar pdf reader that allows text highlighting. I mean highilghting on the reader and than copying back the pdf, or exporting it back and than having a pdf with highlighted text on the computer for a regular pdf reader exactly as I have it on the reader.

Cheers!

Gabor
PRS+ is great for exporting. Although you can do something similar (but DRM restricted) even with Reader for PC or Reader Library.

What you are asking for is not, to my knowledge, available on any ebook readers. You need an iPad.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
schgabor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
PRS+ is great for exporting. Although you can do something similar (but DRM restricted) even with Reader for PC or Reader Library.

What you are asking for is not, to my knowledge, available on any ebook readers. You need an iPad.

thanks a lot for this, I am just downloading this upgrade, did not know about this, looks great!

gábor

Tags
freeze, pdf, text memo