Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
calibre 'hangs' when trying to connect with my Kindle

The process of connecting to my Kindle hangs in calibre - every time I've tried in the last two days.

It's likely my own fault as it started after I - probably - asked calibre to do too many things at once, right after starting up and connecting my Kindle. I can't remember the exact course events, but I think I clicked the ebook device icon to view the book list on the device at about the same time I connected it, and then right after clicked 'add books' or 'convert books' (I'm not sure).

I've tried deleting all the settings files, but it didn't help. Any ideas?

I've:
Calibre v. 0.6.31
OSX 10.6.2
Kindle 2
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
When you say hangs, what exactly do you mean? All of calibre hangs? The kindle detection hangs? The detection occurs, but the kindle icon doesn;t apper/the list of books on the kindle doesn't appear?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry! Kindle detection hangs. The icon appears, but the process appears to be stuck and calibre can't access the Kindle and I don't get a list of books on the device. If I try to shut down calibre, I get a message that calibre can't communicate with the device and cannot shut down - else quitting may cause curruption on the device (I have shut alibre down forcefully - it has not caused problems with using the Kindle, but it may of course have caused 'invisible' issues that I'm not aware of). Finally, I can still use calibre; i.e. import, convert and save books to disk - while the other process runs in the background (and keeps running and running...).
Old 02-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suggest emptying your kindle memory (copys all the files off) and delete everything in the documents folder.

If that fixes it, it's probably a single corrupted file causing the problems.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
Ea
Wizard

Fixed it! Thank you, you're brilliant
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
Ea
Wizard

Just a follow-up:
I discovered it my Oxford English Dictionary that created problems, but I tried turning off 'read metadata' in the Kindle plugin as described here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60645

That worked and I don't really need the metadata anyway. I still can't actually import the dictionary into Calibre - but since I've just copied it over directly, it's not a probem as such. Perhaps there's a metadata error in my file.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'd be interested as to why it's causing a problem. It may just be file size, can you email the file to me: kovidgoyal at gmail. com
Old 07-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #8
whiteorchids
whiteorchids began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'd be interested as to why it's causing a problem. It may just be file size, can you email the file to me: kovidgoyal at gmail. com
Quote:
I suggest emptying your kindle memory (copys all the files off) and delete everything in the documents folder.

If that fixes it, it's probably a single corrupted file causing the problems.
How do you do this step by step? I think I have a corrupted file. Thanks
whiteorchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Just use windows explorer, and copy paste
Old 07-29-2010, 10:03 PM   #10
whiteorchids
whiteorchids began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Just use windows explorer, and copy paste
Sorry I'm confused. How do you empty your kindle? Does that mean clear everything? Copy and paste what and where?
whiteorchids is offline   Reply With Quote