Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 08-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #46
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhopudey View Post
Hi, this is my first post here. I'm using Ice Reader Proffesional for reading and organising ebooks on my PC. Works for me, and it can also export to txt, which will work for any reader I guess. But I would like something which can look online and get more info about the books, sort of like CDDB for audio CDs.
Readerware (readerware.com) does that, but you need an ISBN number or some other unique identifier for the books.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:05 AM   #47
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhopudey View Post
I would like something which can look online and get more info about the books, sort of like CDDB for audio CDs.
Hello zhopudey,

Have you heard of Librarything.com. Its a web 2.0 social networking site for books. It doesn't index your actual ebook files or anything but you can do so much with it.

You can create an account and list 200 books for free. You can enter the ISBN and it will go out and get the rest of the info for you including the cover art. There is even a way to scan books in by their UPC if you have the right type of scanner.

One of the coolest things about the site is that it will cross reference your library with others and you can check out their book list and you might find something else that you want to read. You can also type in a book name and it will give you suggestions of other books to read.

You can add tags to your books, reviews, and a whole lot more.

I know this isn't specifically for ebooks and it doesn't index any files on your PC but I thought you or others might like it.

Last edited by monkeywrench; 08-04-2007 at 08:19 AM.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2007, 11:10 AM   #48
leadfoot
leadfoot began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
I have tried eLibPro (http://songstech.com/elibpro.html) that worked pretty well on hard copy books. It allows links to the electronic version as part of the book info.

As far as organizing my eBooks, so far it is purely by author (A\Last, First - Title.ext), but I am always on the lookout for something better.

Now, for finding copies of files, there are programs such as mmd dupefinder (http://www.mmdfactory.com/dupfinder.html), but it is apparently not checking MD5 sums, as some of the hits are definitely not duplicates. If someone knows of a better program, pass it along as well.
leadfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:55 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How to catalog your ebooks and pbooks

What's the best program or method to catalog your books both dead tree and electronic? I want to keep a list of what I have and what I have read. Thanks!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:45 AM   #50
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I use just a text document where I move books from the unread portion to the read list. I enter a completion date so I can look back to what I've read and when. For unread books and those I want to reread, I keep a short prioritized list at the top of the document. I occasionally update and reload this document onto my Reader so I don't have to rely on memory to know what's next.

Perhaps unrelated, I made an initial go of using LibraryThing.com. It lets you keep an online catalog of books - either of all that you own, just the ones you like, or a hypothetical collection. The appealing part to me is then the ability to match those catalogs to other people's catalogs to see what else they have. I'm always looking for recommendations of good books with a similar quality or feel to some that I have already read (Hesse, for example). This is perhaps an odd way of doing that. I could imagine that it or some other site exists that will let you sort your catalog by a read/unread tag.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2007, 12:29 PM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I use an Access database. Gives virtually limitless flexibility.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:42 PM   #52
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the libprs500 GUi, that's what it's meant for. You can use a dummy file for pbooks.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:09 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Use the libprs500 GUi, that's what it's meant for. You can use a dummy file for pbooks.
Does the libprs500 GUI have a field to say if I've read the book or not or a place to put in a comment so I can put in that info?
Old 09-30-2007, 04:16 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I use an Access database. Gives virtually limitless flexibility.
That's actually a good idea.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:29 PM   #55
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does the libprs500 GUI have a field to say if I've read the book or not or a place to put in a comment so I can put in that info?
It has a comments field.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:56 PM   #56
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What's the best program or method to catalog your books both dead tree and electronic? I want to keep a list of what I have and what I have read. Thanks!
You might want to look at Readerware. It's a cross-platform book database program with a wide assortment of features. For instance, with a bar code scanner, you can scan the code on your paper books, and Readerware will go out to various sites in the net, collect the book info like title, author, and publisher, and fill it in for you. Since the big problem in any such effort is data entry, this is a boon. Readerware also has a PalmOS client you can extract a subset to, to do things like keep your current want list handy.

Readerware is written in Java, and available for Windows, Mac OS/X, and Linux, but should run in anything with a current JVM.

http://www.readerware.com
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #57
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I've looked at LibraryThing a bit more. You can add tags of your choice to the books in your catalog (e.g., read, unread, need to reread, need to buy, should recommend these to MR, etc.). If you have a scanner, the book entry to your catalog is rapid. I found it easy enough without one. Type in an author or partial title and select from the list. It'll provide you with a book cover image, the ISBN, call number, etc. Add your tags, if you like, one at a time or in batches. Downsides: I don't see a provision to download your catalog besides printing it. And......[wait for it]......it's free - but only if limited to 200 books. For more, there's a $10 annual or $25 lifetime fee.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I think I'll just do the database thing.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:46 PM   #59
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Another vote for Readerware, because it can look up so much from the ISBN (which it can get from the barcode), but Librarything has much of the same functionality.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:03 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Can Readerware handle the fct that if I have an ebook edition and a pbook edition that they are different books?