Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Howard Zinn’s “A People’s History of the United States’’

http://www.boston.com/news/education..._books_impact/

"It’s one of the best-selling history books, a controversial tome that ignited the political consciousness of generations of young people. Taught in high schools across the nation and in some college survey courses, Howard Zinn’s “A People’s History of the United States’’ offers an activist’s perspective on history, from the founding of America to the war on terrorism."

Anyone Read it? I see it's available at Amazon for $9.99...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

"It’s one of the best-selling history books, a controversial tome that ignited the political consciousness of generations of young people. Taught in high schools across the nation and in some college survey courses, Howard Zinn’s “A People’s History of the United States’’ offers an activist’s perspective on history, from the founding of America to the war on terrorism."

That book changed my life. The chapter on Columbus and the Natives of Caribbean is classic and the account of the Mexican War "woke me from my dogmatic slumber." His narrative of labor's struggle for justice is inspiring to me.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you. I'm right on the edge of purchasing it...
Old 01-29-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
It sounds like a far cry from Gone With the Wind.
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:25 AM   #5
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
It sounds like a far cry from Gone With the Wind.

Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
It's a great book. The history of the U.S. but not of the great and powerful men that we learn in school but of the ordinary people.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:

Several times. One of the best, and most powerful visions of history to ever be put down. Sadly, Mr. Zinn passed away yesterday. But his words shall live on.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Several times. One of the best, and most powerful visions of history to ever be put down. Sadly, Mr. Zinn passed away yesterday. But his words shall live on.
Yep, that's what brought it to my attention...
Old 01-29-2010, 11:43 AM   #9
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
I hear of Howard Zinn's passing yesterday on NPR, and interview from 2008. That sparked my interest in this book. Apparently it really brings out some quite polar views that seem to want to believe the United States, and its government, can do no wrong. I haven't read it yet, of course, but that's the gist from Amazon reviews. I've always had a strong feeling our (the US) government has been up to shady things...maybe this book will shed some light on that? Hope so.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #10
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring View Post
I hear of Howard Zinn's passing yesterday on NPR, and interview from 2008. That sparked my interest in this book. Apparently it really brings out some quite polar views that seem to want to believe the United States, and its government, can do no wrong. I haven't read it yet, of course, but that's the gist from Amazon reviews. I've always had a strong feeling our (the US) government has been up to shady things...maybe this book will shed some light on that? Hope so.
Not just US governments, ALL governments and ALL politicians. Bunch of lying, rat scum the lot of them.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #11
kennyc

Just bought it from Amazon....my already-purchased-to-be-read list just keeps growing!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:30 PM   #12
Jan J
Enthusiast
Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS600
For Sony readers, they have it for $11.19.
Jan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:17 PM   #13
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Not just US governments, ALL governments and ALL politicians. Bunch of lying, rat scum the lot of them.
Unfortunately, I suspect you're 100% spot-on. I sure wish it weren't so, and that they (politicians, the government, etc...) had our best interests at heart, but that would be a pipe dream.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:41 AM   #14
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:

I'm well into it, and find it fascinating. It is distressing however to see the same justifications for war and theft being used today as were used when the American Indians and the Mexicans were robbed of their lands.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #15
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Fictionwise

Fictionwise also has it for sale now, $11.55 plus micropay rebate. I read portions of it in college and I loved it.

Anyway I recommend it!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote