Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
Ham Cannon
Enthusiast
Ham Cannon doesn't litterHam Cannon doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony Reader 505, Kobo Touch, iPad 1, iPhone 4
Damaged screen - any options?

Due purely to my own clumsiness, my 505's screen now has an ugly little mark on it. I had been working around the house and had my leatherman multitool dangling from my belt loop; forgetting it was there, I noticed that the reader's screen was getting kind of greasy, so I went to wipe it on my shirt. The corner of the leatherman cracked into the screen and made a little dent or divot in it. The area of the dent seems to be permanently blackened, like the e-ink in that area is constantly switched on, even when the screen is off.

It's not catastrophic, just a little dot maybe 3 millimeters in diameter--smaller than a single character of text. It's not worth buying a new reader or paying a lot to have this one fixed, but it's still driving me kind of nuts. This is a long shot, but is there any magic that can be done--with pressure, magnets, what have you--that might be able to reduce the appearance of the mark? I bought it from someone on Craigslist so warranty or insurance protection is not an option.

Thanks!!
Ham Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Could try gentle manual massage... this sometimes works on a faulty pixel with LCD screen so just may help in eInk but basically I think you're stuck with it as the impact may have damaged connections to pixels and jammed them in one state as on.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I have the same thing. I'm not sure if anything will fix it. Mine's been like that for many months. If it's like you say, you're lucky it wasn't worse! Honestly, I'd be worried that trying to fix it might make it worse. I would just hang in there.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
Ham Cannon
Enthusiast

I tried some gentle pressure, but no luck. I guess I'm stuck with it.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unfortunately, now that you've fractured the screen substrate (which it sounds as if you have), the damage is likely to "spread" from the damaged area over time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
Ham Cannon
Enthusiast

Doh, that sucks. I'll cross my fingers and hope it doesn't expand... it's tolerable right now but if it gets bigger it will be really distracting. Thanks everyone for all your help.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately, now that you've fractured the screen substrate (which it sounds as if you have), the damage is likely to "spread" from the damaged area over time.
Not necessarily. Mine hasn't. It went to the substrate, you can see it change from dark to light when you change the page, so at least I think it did.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Cannon View Post
It's not catastrophic, just a little dot maybe 3 millimeters in diameter--smaller than a single character of text.
I had a single dot the size of a single pixel pop on my screen about 3 months back and it hasn't changed since it appeared. I wouldn't try to mess with it I think your stuck. But I don't think there is a great chance that it will get worse without further stress on your part.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You couldgive Sony a call and find out what it would take to get your Reader fixed.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote