Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #736
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Thanks very much to the moderators for planning and carrying out the contest! It was fun.

I do wonder... Where there actually any clues apart from which sub-forum to search? I didn't get the impression that there were, and - with al due respect - I still think it would have been more fun if there had been a possibility to 'think' your way to a likely post no. and/or thread title, rather than 'just' the forum. That the hints were a bit more of a brain teaser. Not that I didn't stumble severely on one of the hints as they were
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #737
Margrete
Connoisseur
Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.

Device: pixelar ebookreader (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I do wonder... Where there actually any clues apart from which sub-forum to search? I didn't get the impression that there were, and - with al due respect - I still think it would have been more fun if there had been a possibility to 'think' your way to a likely post no. and/or thread title, rather than 'just' the forum. That the hints were a bit more of a brain teaser. Not that I didn't stumble severely on one of the hints as they were
there was atleast one. on the 7th, hint gave the german forum and the musik playing smilies gave the thread
Margrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #738
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
The title I guessed after the *first* letter was Oliver Twist...it was the only eleven letter title I could think of that had a T in it. Then the V and W confirmed it.

I sent "Oliver Twist" in after the tenth letter - and the reason I thought it was wrong was that in the French forum for letter #4 I had picked up a T instead of an O...Until the last letter turned out to be that same T, I thought I was fine!

But all is well that ends well.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #739
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
So the name of the book wasn't TRIOL SWIVET ?
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #740
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
So the name of the book wasn't TRIOL SWIVET ?
It was:

L. I. Overtwist

A rich boy that goes in search of a poor family to live with.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #741
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
And here I thought it was

'I've writ lots.'

Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #742
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
It took me quite some time to figure out the anagram and eventually, I decoded it by accident. I ran it through a couple of online anagram decoders but neither of them found the right title. One was close enough for me to guess it, though.

Most of the results generated by the anagram decoders were compelete crap, but some actually made kinda sense. My favorite ones:

Soviet Twirl
Live Tits Row
Violet Wrist
Sir, let it vow!
Evil Sir Twot
Live it worst

I especially like the latter two ones. I could even imagine them as being the names of an action movie: Evil Sir Twot – Live it worst! A movie about the evil Sir Twot who hunts young people that are wasting their lives to the worst! In theatres Christmas 2009!

Or:

Twister 2: Soviet Twirl! They thought they'd beat it, but they were dead wrong! Now the Twister is back and headed right to the former Soviet Union! Featuring Steven Seagal and a special appearance by the live band Tits Row! (Coming soon directly to DVD)
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #743
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I thought the last star appearing under the name 'Stella' was quite neat.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #744
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

deleted - duplicate post

Last edited by Ea; 12-14-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #745
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi 1080 View Post
Most of the results generated by the anagram decoders were compelete crap, but some actually made kinda sense. My favorite ones:

Soviet Twirl
'Soviet Twirl' - The Red Waltz of the Comrade Bourgeoisie - is my favourite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I thought the last star appearing under the name 'Stella' was quite neat.
It certainly was. I had expected no less one of the days
Old 12-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #746
jhoff80
Enthusiast
jhoff80 began at the beginning.

Device: none
My first guess after Day 3 (TRI) was Stephen King's Firestarter, but the O on day 4 ruined that. Took me until Day 6 to come up with Oliver Twist.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:20 PM   #747
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I put in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress," but was told that i was wrong. So now, i gotta go and use my green superpowers and change all those threads so that I'm right...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:37 PM   #748
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I put in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress," but was told that i was wrong. So now, i gotta go and use my green superpowers and change all those threads so that I'm right...
Hey!!! There's no W in that title
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #749
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi 1080 View Post
Soviet Twirl
Live Tits Row
Violet Wrist
Sir, let it vow!
Evil Sir Twot
Live it worst
You need to use a better anagram generator. The correct answer was: Vitriol Stew
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #750
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
My reasoning went as follows: Well known book, forum with three languages, same letters for everyone. It had to be a title that was not translated at least across these three languages. How many of those are there? It was a high probability it was a name, and after three letters, I already suspected what the name was.
But it was fun looking for the letters. I actually miss beginning my day with a search. Could we possibly continue the challenge? No need for prizes this time
That was my reasoning, although, I added the thought that it had to be a book that was probably classified as an "acadamian classic" that came up in lists that would be viewed by an international population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
Yes, I thought it was great fun also. I became acquainted with parts of the forum that I hadn't been to before.
Even though at times I almost gave up looking; I couldn't. I became a letter searching maniac!
Thanks to all the organizers and to PocketBook for a great competition and getting us starry eyed.
I even attempted to read (and actually posted!) in the German forums when I couldn't find one of the letters.

Great idea for a contest, Thank you to Alex, to the mods (even you raveen-tricky tricks forgiven), and to PocketBook!
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contest, pocketebook, winter