Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
WinMo or Android?

Such a quandry!

I'm considering replacing my cellphone in April with a smartphone. I'm considering either an HTC Touch Pro 2 or a Motorola Droid for the task, but I can't decide which would be a better choice for me.

On one hand, I use a WinMo PDA now, and would like to be able to move my existing apps and files to the smartphone, sync to my PC, etc. I'd also hope most of my e-book reading apps would work on the WinMo smartphone (I read Mobi, eReader, ePub and a few Lit formats on my PDA now, and don't want to lose any books). But many apps would have to be updated, and not all apps have been updated to WinMo 6+... many consider it a virtually dead OS.

On the other hand, Android is the "coming thing." More apps are being done for it every day, including e-book reading apps. I can sync it to my PC's Outlook. There's no Mobi app yet, and serious doubts one will ever be made... but Amazon seems to be leaning in the "Kindle app for every screen" direction, so there might be a Kindle for Android that could read my existing Mobi e-books. Oh, yeah, the Droid will cost $50 more than the Touch Pro 2.

So: Which to choose? Can I read all my e-books on either device now? What should I expect to happen by April? Do I risk technoparalysis by worrying about it 3 months before I have to choose? Will I die of terrorist incidents or nuclear holocaust first, removing the need to be concerned about this decision at all?

Or should I just take the blue pill?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Hmm, get a real phone? You know, one with those 10 number, a pick up and hang up button?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Hmm, get a real phone? You know, one with those 10 number, a pick up and hang up button?
I can't read an e-book on one of those. What else you got?
Old 01-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Steve, Chris was all charged about the Droid. When it came time for him to upgrade, he went and looked at it...and didn't like it. Not because of Android, but because of the keyboard. I am assuming you have a two year contract? I'd get the WinMo phone this time and wait to see what Android phones come out in the next two years. That'd give them time to get the apps you want/need, and time for you to see how they progress.

Chris ended up with BlackBerry Tour (he came from a BB Curve). I still have my Curve, but am seriously considering HTC Imagio (WinMo) when I upgrade in October.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Steve, Chris was all charged about the Droid. When it came time for him to upgrade, he went and looked at it...and didn't like it. Not because of Android, but because of the keyboard. I am assuming you have a two year contract? I'd get the WinMo phone this time and wait to see what Android phones come out in the next two years. That'd give them time to get the apps you want/need, and time for you to see how they progress.

Chris ended up with BlackBerry Tour (he came from a BB Curve). I still have my Curve, but am seriously considering HTC Imagio (WinMo) when I upgrade in October.
He didn't like the Android keyboard... and got a Blackberry? You don't hear that every day!

The Touch Pro 2 also has a physical keyboard, but I haven't had the chance to try it yet to see how it feels. After using on-screen keyboards on my present cellphone (LG Dare), pretty much any physical keyboard is an improvement to me. Of course, that kind of thing is very subjective (as my Blackberry comment should indicate).

Your comment about existing vs future apps is spot-on.
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
He didn't like the Android keyboard... and got a Blackberry? You don't hear that every day!

The Touch Pro 2 also has a physical keyboard, but I haven't had the chance to try it yet to see how it feels. After using on-screen keyboards on my present cellphone (LG Dare), pretty much any physical keyboard is an improvement to me. Of course, that kind of thing is very subjective (as my Blackberry comment should indicate).

Your comment about existing vs future apps is spot-on.
Well, he was updating from a BlackBerry Curve, you see. We both like the BB o/s ; the reason I'm considering making a jump to WinMo is for more ebook reading software (who'd have guessed?). That's also the reason I'm looking at the Imagio, even though it's touchscreen and my Curve is not. More screen real estate for reading! I don't read on my phone just a whole lot, but when I need to, I really need to.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I am a fanboi of Android since i got one a month ago. I had a WinMo Treo that I was ready to run over with my car. It would constantly run a "thumb twiddle" app that drained the batter in a couple hours. I took it in to the Sprint store several times, but it always went back to rapid drainage. I coudl tell it was going to be a bad day when I would feel a lot of heat at my belt. When I would take the phone out of its holster, the battery would be nearly combustible and the battery would be at one quarter at 10 AM. then it woudl start beeping to let me know that it was running out of juice, lighting up the screen and running another thumb twiddle app just to drain the battery some more. I couldn't even turn it off with a switch because Treo was made without one. I have an HTC Hero and love love love it! I haven't tried the reading apps yet, but I was thinking of getting one or two to see what it had to offer.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I have an HTC Hero and love love love it! I haven't tried the reading apps yet, but I was thinking of getting one or two to see what it had to offer.
Keep us posted on that, please... inquiring minds want to know!
Old 01-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #9
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I was a WinMo fanboi for years, until i got a Samsung Moment. Now I'd never go back. I'd have gotten a Driod fro the larger screen, but I really hate Verizon!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I was a WinMo fanboi for years, until i got a Samsung Moment. Now I'd never go back.
Why? How is it different for you? And do you read e-books on the Samsung?
Old 01-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #11
yessirrom
Connoisseur
yessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enough

Device: HTC HD2 and i-Pad
I imported a HTC HD2 from Europe. It is a WM 6.5 device. It is supposed to release on T-mobile in the next month or so. I am on AT&T. I have used WM and pocket PC for years. This phone is fantastic and has not disappointed me in the least. I would give it a look.
yessirrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

I had a chance to actually handle the HTC Touch Pro 2 today. Similar in feel to the Droid, and maybe the browser was a bit slower than the Droid, but otherwise about equal in operation. I do feel better about the prospect of updating my existing WinMo apps on the new box, instead of having to go through replacing everything for the Android (though, to an extent, I'd be doing it for both). Also, I can continue to use ActiveSync, since I'm still using XP at home.

So right now, TP2 has the edge over the Droid...
Old 01-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #13
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
FWIW the main reason I've stuck with WinMobile is stylus support. I find finger only input far too restricting.

Admittedly I haven't tried Android, but my experience with the Storm and 'Touch was enough to put me off for good.

Last edited by Dylrob; 01-26-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:48 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
HTC make good devices; I'm extremely happy with my HTC Touch. As far as book reading is concerned, there's no doubt that at present Windows Mobile gives you the widest range of reading applications, although that may of course change in the future.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
HTC make good devices; I'm extremely happy with my HTC Touch. As far as book reading is concerned, there's no doubt that at present Windows Mobile gives you the widest range of reading applications, although that may of course change in the future.
I'm hoping that, down the line, the only format I'll be worried about is ePub (and possibly converting my existing formats to ePub as needed). But for now, I have at least 4 formats of e-books that I want to be able to read, and until Android has reading apps for all of them, going WinMo seems to make sense for the moment.

I still don't have a Kindle app for my PDA, though...

Tags
android, e-books, windows mobile, winmo