Notices

Old 09-17-2009, 09:43 PM   #31
Stefx
Enthusiast
Stefx began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
I'm waiting for this to arrive now. The ReTrak cable management and ability to plug it into any USB wall charger made it really attractive. With a bit of luck, it will also work to charge my BlackBerry and I'll be able to weed out one cable from my travel kit.

http://www.emergeretail.com/Products...ETPSPCHGW.aspx
I have an ac adapter charger for my Blackberry. it's the same USB type.
However, when I plug it in the Sony 505, it drains it.
Stefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:26 AM   #32
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefx View Post
I have an ac adapter charger for my Blackberry. it's the same USB type.
However, when I plug it in the Sony 505, it drains it.
Note the round barrelhead tip - that is what charges the 505. Using the miniUSB tip _will_ drain your reader.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #33
mangust
mangust began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo WiFi
If you have a charger with a USB port, any PSP barrel tip cable will work

I am using this $6 cable with a USB wall charger. It charges all of my devices (ipod, cellphones, nuvi, etc), including PRS-505. Just use the right tip for your device. PRS-505 uses a barrel tip for Sony PSP.

Here is an even more capable model for $3 more.

Makes life a little easier than a plethora of chargers for each device that comes with it's own proprietary plug.
mangust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I know this has been discussed lots, but I have yet to see a definitive answer I think.

I want a cheap mains charger for my PRS-505 (£20 from Sony seems a bit much), will any Sony PSP charger work?
Don't get a PSP charger that's not certified (i.e., UL Listed) as it could fluctuate in the output. Spend a little extra and get a good PSP AC adapter.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:06 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
Just to experiment a bit, I bought an USB cable with double tips- one "yellow" (i.e. ps3 charger) and one USB. Works like a charm with any USB power adapter and Willemstad charge my Cybook too (well, not at the same time ).

my two cents
Can you please post a link to this cable? Thanks.
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 09:18 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangust View Post
I am using this $6 cable with a USB wall charger. It charges all of my devices (ipod, cellphones, nuvi, etc), including PRS-505. Just use the right tip for your device. PRS-505 uses a barrel tip for Sony PSP.

Here is an even more capable model for $3 more.

Makes life a little easier than a plethora of chargers for each device that comes with it's own proprietary plug.
I just ordered the same $5.99 cable since it comes with no tax and no shipping fee. We already have a wall wart for the iPod Touch so I can use that to charge the Reader, PSP, and iPod.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #37
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just ordered the same $5.99 cable since it comes with no tax and no shipping fee. We already have a wall wart for the iPod Touch so I can use that to charge the Reader, PSP, and iPod.
Exactly my combo
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #38
Mixalis
Mixalis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Charging from a USB power source

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhayn View Post
If you have a wall or auto charger that has a standard USB socket in it (there are many -- such such as http://www.amazon.com/Coby-CA81-Powe...2682049&sr=8-2) then you can use one of the USB to barrel charger cables such as http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28732. They work fine with the 505. EBay is another good source also I have used Deals extreme many time and they are reliable and affordable -- if a little slow (one to two weeks from HK).
We seem to be getting conflicting views on the possibility of charging from a USB power source other than a computer. I have both the original PRS-505 and the latest PRS-600 and neither will charge from a USB power source (for instance, an Apple iPhone charger). As others have mentioned, the red charging light comes on only when the device is connected to the USB port on a computer. Presumably this is deliberate on the part of Sony, but it is a great nuisance. I do have a Sony charger, but prefer not to carry it when travelling. Incidentally, I have experienced battery drain on the PRS-505 even when connected to a computer unless the book-reader software is loaded. It's not a consistent fault, but it is disastrous to suddenly find the battery completely discharged on occasion.
Mixalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #39
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixalis View Post
We seem to be getting conflicting views on the possibility of charging from a USB power source other than a computer. I have both the original PRS-505 and the latest PRS-600 and neither will charge from a USB power source (for instance, an Apple iPhone charger). As others have mentioned, the red charging light comes on only when the device is connected to the USB port on a computer. Presumably this is deliberate on the part of Sony, but it is a great nuisance. I do have a Sony charger, but prefer not to carry it when travelling. Incidentally, I have experienced battery drain on the PRS-505 even when connected to a computer unless the book-reader software is loaded. It's not a consistent fault, but it is disastrous to suddenly find the battery completely discharged on occasion.
It's not exactly like that- you can have any USB charger on the "plug" side, even an Apple iPhone charger, but you have to connect it on the PRS side with a standard Sony output, i.e. the one from a PSP charger.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #40
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
It's not exactly like that- you can have any USB charger on the "plug" side, even an Apple iPhone charger, but you have to connect it on the PRS side with a standard Sony output, i.e. the one from a PSP charger.

This too is confusing.

Here's what I found. To charge the Reader using the mini-usb plug requires the Sony software to be installed on the computer.

When I attempted to charge the Reader using a AC - USB adapter and mini usb plug it DID NOT CHARGE.

If you supply power to the reader through the CHARGING PLUG (the round connector) it should work without being connected to the computer -- I personally do not have a charger or a plug for this.

Last edited by kennyc; 09-28-2009 at 01:25 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #41
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just to experiment a bit, I bought an USB cable with double tips- one "yellow" (i.e. ps3 charger) and one USB. Works like a charm with any USB power adapter and Willemstad charge my Cybook too (well, not at the same time ).

my two cents
So are you using the mini-usb connector to charge your Reader? or the round barrel connector?
Old 09-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #42
Juliette
I eat books

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
This too is confusing.
I agree

Quote:
When I attempted to charge the Reader using a AC - USB adapter and mini usb plug it DID NOT CHARGE.
Because it* doesn't recognise the "usual" usb as a valid power source, and begins to disperse energy.

*I'm not an engineer and I can't quite tell, but I suppose there's, like in any laptop, a power management system. So "it" is that, whatever they used (and made so).

Quote:
So are you using the mini-usb connector to charge your Reader? or the round barrel connector?
I'm using the round barrel to charge and the mini-usb to plug it into my laptop. The other tip (it's a Y-shaped cable) is an usb and can be plugged either in the laptop or in any charger.

p.s. WILLELMSTADT is how my iPod Touch T9 completes any will. Hilarious. That's the same principle, incidentally: bad programming!
Old 09-28-2009, 02:40 PM   #43
kennyc

Quote:

I'm using the round barrel to charge and the mini-usb to plug it into my laptop. The other tip (it's a Y-shaped cable) is an usb and can be plugged either in the laptop or in any charger.

gotcha! So you are charging the Reader through it's round barrel-plug. That's what I was trying to determine. That should always work.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:44 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Exactly my combo
I think I have about a week to go to get the cable. Then I can use it to charge a bunch of things. Can I use it to charge multiple things at once or should I only do it one at a time?
Old 09-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
This too is confusing.

Here's what I found. To charge the Reader using the mini-usb plug requires the Sony software to be installed on the computer.

If you supply power to the reader through the CHARGING PLUG (the round connector) it should work without being connected to the computer -- I personally do not have a charger or a plug for this.
The cable I've recently purchased plugs into a USB connector (Wall wart) and has plugs for mini-USB, PSP (barrel plug), Nintendo, DS, and iPod. I'm going to use it with the wall wart we have to charge the DS, the iPod, and the Readers. The cable only cost $5.99 with no tax and no shipping frees. The only other cost is the wall wart. But as my wife aloready bought one, I'll not have to pay for it.

http://www.meritline.com/5-in-1-usb-...--p-28335.aspx