Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #61
mpfaraujo
mpfaraujo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
installed the new version and now it recognizes the pdf as a new file to convert .. it converts but the conversio still doesnt displays the math symbols :-\
mpfaraujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #62
dredwolff
dredwolff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Not working for me no matter what I do!

@jesse my kindle is at update 2.0.3, and I have tried numerous uninstalle/reinstalls and ext images (the last one I tried was the 4-10-2009 image) with no success

Is there any sort of error log file I can look at or enable? And do you know if Savory works on 2.0.3?

Thanks,
-Mike
dredwolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 11:55 PM   #63
ayman07
Ayman
ayman07 began at the beginning.

hello everyone. im new to the forums, i have a little issue with savory. when i transfer a PDF to my K2, it doesnt automatically start converting after i eject it from my mac. i have to restart the kindle several times, or retransfer the PDF and other times it just coverts then fails. Any help would be appreciated it. thanks!
ayman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:51 AM   #64
frankrizzo
frankrizzo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
2.03 Problem

I also cant get it to work with 2.03. I tried every version listed in this thread. I dont get cell service at my house so wont be able to try a web pdf until tomorrow.
frankrizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #65
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Savory for the K1 would have been good too.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2009, 09:30 AM   #66
frankrizzo

I tried downloading a pdf from the web and it looks great! The text is a little small, but I know its the 6inch screen, not the program. So perhaps there is a problem with 2.0.3 version and it seeing that there are new pdfs that have been copied into the documents folder via usb? Is there anything I can do to provide help such as testing?

Last edited by frankrizzo; 06-15-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:04 PM   #67
ayman07
Ayman
ayman07 began at the beginning.

i just got my new kindle after the little mishap and savory wont function correctly. i installed it like i did with my old k2, both have 2.0.3, and when i put a document in there it wont start converting. hmmmm. ill try downloading a pdf.
ayman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #68
frankrizzo

Update: My battery died yesterday and when I charged it and powered it up today it converted the pdfs I had copied over on Sunday. No way to tell if it was the passing of time or the battery dieing.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #69
kapblp
kapblp began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Q1U
I cannot get it to uninstall. I followed the instructions of temporarily disabling by chaning the ext3 file and then copying the bin file that is supposed to remove it to the root dir. But the update is greyed out. I tried to follow the directions for when that option is greyed out by copying when it boots but the disk shows itself as J: on my system and when I try to copy it over it says "Please insert a disk..." until the system finishes. I really want this removed but cannot following the instructions. Is there another way? I even tried doing the factor reset in the instructions. But that doesn't allow me to do the greyed out update option.

UPDATE: I tried again. I was using the older version of the ext3 file. The newer version worked fine.

So now I started over and have installed the program, but then it doesn't work either. I have copied over a PDF file and it does not recognize it at all. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by kapblp; 07-01-2009 at 04:40 PM.
kapblp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #70
mrlitsta
mrlitsta began at the beginning.

Device: K2 v2.03
Savory and 2.0.3

I just got a new kindle with firmware v2.0.3 installed. I installed Savory on it, got into an infinite reboot loop (hold 'r' when the screen flashes and it will let you boot a recovery kernel to let you exit the install and retry). Once I fixed that, at first I didn't think Savory worked on the new firmware.

Anyway, I CAN CONFIRM that Savory works as expected (I think) with firmware 2.0.3. It did take about 2 days for my 3 initial PDFs to show up in the menu (I thought it didn't work at first, as other posters have intimated). After that, though, I tried another PDF, and it showed up just fine.

I do still have an issue, can anyone comment? When I load a pdf (images), the screen won't refresh until I hit the menu button twice (to get in and out of the menu). Same thing when I scroll in the images. It is quite annoying. Is the refresh behavior different in earlier firmware revisions, or is this a "known" limitation?

Last edited by mrlitsta; 07-15-2009 at 09:33 AM.
mrlitsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #71
goshng
goshng began at the beginning.

PDF files copied thru USB do not show up with Savory 0.06.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post
@lancel as a debugging step, move the .ext3 image out of the way and reboot the kindle. tell me if the .txt files show up.

@alfarhan - what happens if you use the browser to download a PDF?
I have the same issue. The version of savory is 0.06. When I download a pdf from website, the file shows up (but it fails to convert it). I can see text files that I copied using USB. Any pdf files that I copied through USB do not show up.

My Kindle 2 version info in setting is as follows:
Kindle 2.0.3 UNSUPPRTED SAVORY-0.06
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[UPDATE]
I should have read all posts in this thread. I have used a wrong version of savory. The file savory-image-2009-04-10.zip and install/uninstall bin files works with my Kindle 2.0.3. You can find them at http://code.google.com/p/savory/ where there are three files: savory-image-2009-04-10.zip, update_RemoveSavory-0.06.bin, and update_Savory-0.06.bin. I also bought my Kindle 2 through Jesse's blog site: http://blog.fsck.com. I may have to buy more for my daughter and wife since they just love it.

I do not know how to delete my following message.

Great works, Jesse!

Thank you,

Last edited by goshng; 08-10-2009 at 12:47 PM.
goshng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:40 PM   #72
goshng
goshng began at the beginning.

An update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshng View Post
I have the same issue. The version of savory is 0.06. When I download a pdf from website, the file shows up (but it fails to convert it). I can see text files that I copied using USB. Any pdf files that I copied through USB do not show up.

My Kindle 2 version info in setting is as follows:
Kindle 2.0.3 UNSUPPRTED SAVORY-0.06

Thank you,
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[IGNORE THIS MESSAGE]

Just an update: my Kindle 2 does not handle USB copied PDFs. My second downloaded PDF file is SUCCESSFULLY converted and I can see my first PDF file. One thing that is interesting is that generated png files are numbered 1 through 11. The 10-th page shows right after the first page. I assume that it is due to Kindle's handling of showing list of figures in lexicographical order. It would be nicer if generated files can be numbered depending on total number of pages of a PDF file. The PDF file is 12 pages long. What I want is that generated png files are as follows: page-01.pgm.png, page-02.pgm.png, ... NOT page-1.pgm.png, page-10.pgm.png.

Anyway, good works.

Last edited by goshng; 08-10-2009 at 12:27 PM.
goshng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:42 AM   #73
Canna
Canna began at the beginning.

I tried to install savory 0.06 and I had a problem. My Kindle 2 is trying to upgrade itself and it restarts each 5 seconds. My PC doesn't recognize the USB connection and I don't know what I can do...

Could you help me?
Canna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:26 AM   #74
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canna View Post
I tried to install savory 0.06 and I had a problem. My Kindle 2 is trying to upgrade itself and it restarts each 5 seconds. My PC doesn't recognize the USB connection and I don't know what I can do...

Could you help me?
Don't know anything about this personally, but did you see the message about four above you? Mrlista said:

Quote:
I just got a new kindle with firmware v2.0.3 installed. I installed Savory on it, got into an infinite reboot loop (hold 'r' when the screen flashes and it will let you boot a recovery kernel to let you exit the install and retry). Once I fixed that, at first I didn't think Savory worked on the new firmware.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:06 AM   #75
Norseman
Norseman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Has anyone had any luck installing Savory on Kindle 2, firmware version 2.0.4 (353720025)? The system folder isn't visible when I mount my Kindle (I have show hidden folders enabled). Thanks in advance.
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, kindle 2, kindle conversion, savory