Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
Bookathon
Bookaholic
Bookathon doesn't litterBookathon doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1, 3, Ipad
Returned kindle 2 for low text contrast

I had kindle 2 for about 3 days, I noticed low contrast on text as compared to kindle 1 (I have both), text on kindle 1 is really good it is dark and somewhat thicker than kindle 2 at the same font size, menu is normal on kindle 2.

I did use all the tricks some people mentioned on other boards such as light source change, reset to factory condition but no avail.

I talked to rep from kindle and he said he heard same complaints from other users as well.

I think kindle 2 is a good choice for people who had no kindle before and are not visually challenged.

I will stick to kindle1 as text is good, and i am used to clicker wheel, I felt odd at this 5 way thing and was choosing wrong menu all the time.
Bookathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:25 AM   #2
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I agree that the contrast is borderline on K2, and much better on K1. I do think that they can fix this via an update. I think they mistakenly used a lighter shade on text - obviously the people who made this decision are not big Kindle readers. You made a statement that may help future K2 owners by returning yours. Thanks.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 07:44 AM   #3
Ian
Ian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi-

I never had a Kindle 1, but agree that the reading experience on Kindle 2 is a bit challenging due to the contrast.

Alt-G (a refresh) does seem to make the text much more readable, but who wants to do that once on every page?

Haven't decided whether to keep my Kindle or not - I'm hopeful a firmware update will fix this issue - but what do others think.

Is this really the same screen as a Kindle 1 and there's a firmware glitch, or is it a different, inferior screen?

-Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:47 AM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
It's a different, superior screen.

I've installed the 2.0.1 update and while the text isn't darker I think it may have improved the background contrast a bit. Try it yourself and see.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I've been struggling with the same issue. Overall I like the K2, but it seems like they've gone with a narrower or less bold font which effectively reduces the contrast. I'm giving it a few more days, but may send mine back as well. Other than the font, I really like the device.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
No, it's the same physical screen with a newer controller.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
No, it's the same physical screen with a newer controller.
According to einks website, it's a different "film", which to me means a different physical screen. Not just a new controller chip.

http://www.eink.com/products/matrix/imaging_film.html

And note that Kindle 2's 4bit screen isn't even listed; it's so new.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
According to einks website, it's a different "film", which to me means a different physical screen. Not just a new controller chip.

http://www.eink.com/products/matrix/imaging_film.html

And note that Kindle 2's 4bit screen isn't even listed; it's so new.
Again, Kindle 1 and 2 (and Cybook and Sony 505 and others) share the same Vizplex ("film") screen.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
sirbruce
Provocateur

Well if you mean by the same "company", same "brand", sure, but it's a different model. It's like saying the iPhone and the iPhone 3G are the "same" phone.

Edit: You know it's difficult having an argument with someone with your avatar...
Old 03-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
Octochick
Zealot
Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

I've installed the 2.0.1 update and while the text isn't darker I think it may have improved the background contrast a bit. Try it yourself and see.
How do you do that?

just saw your other post!

Last edited by Octochick; 03-04-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Octochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Again, Kindle 1 and 2 (and Cybook and Sony 505 and others) share the same Vizplex ("film") screen.
Actually, I think you might be wrong. The Vizplex screen is shown as having 3 bit grayscale. The K2 has 4 bit grayscale. It might not have a Vizplex screen.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #12
sirbruce
Provocateur

It's Vizplex, or a follow-on product. But I don't think eInk is selling it to anyone but Amazon currently.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There's way to much misinformation going on here. So I will tell it the way it is.

All the current eink devices that use a 6" screen use the EXACT SAME Vizplex screen. These devices include the 505, 700, K1, K2, Gen3, V3 (and derivatives such as BeBook and EZ Reader) and others. Now that we have that important fact out of the way, what can be different is the controller use to drive the screen and the software to drive the screen controller.

As for the K1 & K2, the K1 & K2 have different screen controllers and software to drive these controllers on the VERY SAME SCREEN. There is nothing new about the K2's screen. As for the contrast issue, that's most likely a software issue. But I am not 100% sure.

So before you go off and say the screen on the K2 is not the same as the K1, remember, it is the same. The screen controller and software are what is different. Think of it like having a Wii and an Xbox 360. If you use them with the same TV, then you have the same screen but different electronics/software behind the TV driving what you see.

And for those that do not still understand, go stand in the corner till you get it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Then why does E-ink corp. list the Vizplex screen as having 3 bit grayscale when we know the K2 has 4 bit?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Actually, I think you might be wrong. The Vizplex screen is shown as having 3 bit grayscale. The K2 has 4 bit grayscale. It might not have a Vizplex screen.
One place on the eInk site it says Viziplex is 3 bit, but in another it says it's 4 bit. Not sure what's up with that.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote