Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
derfh
derfh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Smile Derfh

Hi Everyone, I am still pondering on buying the new Sony Reader and have just been to Waterstones to have a look at the one on display there, it looks very good but when I asked the assistant if he could give me a demo on viewing PDF's Doc and text files he said he could not show me because the display book was locked within the showcase and there was no PDF's loaded on the book just E books. So it looks like I have to actually go and buy one before I can see a proper demo of it and the above views. Question what is the adobe software for and does Calibre do what pdflrf is reputed to be very good at?? Thanks in advance..
derfh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi derfh and welcome to the Forum. I got a 505 back in January and like it a lot. I expect you will as well.

Other friendly and more knowledgeable Forum members will answer your questions
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Welcome! Check out the "see a device in a cafe near you" thread. There have been so many new members from the UK (I'm assuming that's your location since you mention Waterstones) recently that you might be able to track down a person willing to demo the 505 for you.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
derfh

New to readers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Hi derfh and welcome to the Forum. I got a 505 back in January and like it a lot. I expect you will as well.

Other friendly and more knowledgeable Forum members will answer your questions
Thanks cassidym, do you just use it to read ebooks then??
Old 09-10-2008, 05:06 PM   #5
derfh

Waterstones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
Welcome! Check out the "see a device in a cafe near you" thread. There have been so many new members from the UK (I'm assuming that's your location since you mention Waterstones) recently that you might be able to track down a person willing to demo the 505 for you.

Dreamer
Hello Dreamer, yes you are correct I am from England and thanks for the advise..
Advert
Old 09-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by derfh View Post
Thanks cassidym, do you just use it to read ebooks then??
So far, I just use it to read. I've got an iPhone I use for music and audio books.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #7
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Welcome derfm. I hope you find MobileRead as delightful a place as I have.

I'm toting a Kindle and a Sony 505. The Kindle is not available in the UK, but it's definitely my favorite of the two devices. Since this is primarily due to the easy and inexpensive availability of current releases, my bias may go away as more books are made available for the Sony. I'm kind of interested in the PanMacMillan site since the prices seem reasonable (except for the exchange rate), but the Sony Store (which we in the US use instead of Waterstones) doesn't have very good prices or selections compared to Amazon.

When it comes to reading, I don't find a lot of difference in the two devices, except that I can create highlights or notes (akin to writing in the margins) when I'm reading on the Kindle. I do like the Sony and I'm glad I bought it. Hope you enjoy yours.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Hi and welcome to the forum.

As others suggested it might be well worth it to go and post on the See a reader topic, as plenty of the members will be willing to show off their shiny readers to anyone they can corner ( Myself included).

Another option may be to pop down to a Sony Style store. A few members have mentioned that they were able to play around with demo models there, and do may be worth a try.

And as for the PDF's, I think, the Sony does come preloaded with a few PDF's but perhaps someone who has gotten one of the new UK models can confirm.

Finally, I can also suggest concidering getting the Cybook Gen3. WH Smith has a great deal online, for £180 making it cheaper then then the Sony and you get a bucketload of more features such as html, dictionary support, etc. and the ability to buy from a lot of online stores at prices much cheaper then Waterstones or even WH Smith.
It is however back ordered with them right now so you may be in for a bit of a wait. PDF support is decent on it, but probably not as good as the sony as it does not suppot reflow.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
derfh

Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Welcome derfm. I hope you find MobileRead as delightful a place as I have.

I'm toting a Kindle and a Sony 505. The Kindle is not available in the UK, but it's definitely my favorite of the two devices. Since this is primarily due to the easy and inexpensive availability of current releases, my bias may go away as more books are made available for the Sony. I'm kind of interested in the PanMacMillan site since the prices seem reasonable (except for the exchange rate), but the Sony Store (which we in the US use instead of Waterstones) doesn't have very good prices or selections compared to Amazon.

When it comes to reading, I don't find a lot of difference in the two devices, except that I can create highlights or notes (akin to writing in the margins) when I'm reading on the Kindle. I do like the Sony and I'm glad I bought it. Hope you enjoy yours.
Hi Elsi, sorry I have took so long to reply had problems with my laptop but thanks for the info..
Old 09-13-2008, 02:32 PM   #10
derfh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum.

As others suggested it might be well worth it to go and post on the See a reader topic, as plenty of the members will be willing to show off their shiny readers to anyone they can corner ( Myself included).

Another option may be to pop down to a Sony Style store. A few members have mentioned that they were able to play around with demo models there, and do may be worth a try.

And as for the PDF's, I think, the Sony does come preloaded with a few PDF's but perhaps someone who has gotten one of the new UK models can confirm.

Finally, I can also suggest concidering getting the Cybook Gen3. WH Smith has a great deal online, for £180 making it cheaper then then the Sony and you get a bucketload of more features such as html, dictionary support, etc. and the ability to buy from a lot of online stores at prices much cheaper then Waterstones or even WH Smith.
It is however back ordered with them right now so you may be in for a bit of a wait. PDF support is decent on it, but probably not as good as the sony as it does not suppot reflow.
Hello bbusybookworm, thanks for the advise I think I will try the Sony store ..