Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Talking New Gen3

Just got my new Gen3 .

The nav button is significantly improved - a much "softer" and more positive feel to it. My "Enter" key now makes an audible "Click", however!

The biggest improvement is of course the internal memory. Comes up as 496MB in size, of which 484MB are initially free.

One interesting change is that it now comes with the "Georgia" font pre-installed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just got my new Gen3 .
You got a second one. Boy, are you in love.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How could I resist?

Want to buy a Gen3, slightly used?
Old 05-15-2008, 02:06 PM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You got a second one. Boy, are you in love.
He's now got one for each hand and each eye ...

( I got Georgia pre-installed )
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How could I resist?

I'm in wait mode right now. I kind of want a Kindle. I like the idea of the amount of content they have and the one line library storage, but I don't love their form factor. I also want to settle on a single DRM format (an evil you must live with) so I want to see what Astak actually comes out with.

I would like to just get Mobi for everything but my Sony doesn't support that. Argh... damn DRM.

BOb

(Yes I know Fictionwise has the online lib too... but they only garuntee your books will be there for about 3 months after purchase.)
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

"Mobi for everything" was my decision too.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
"Mobi for everything" was my decision too.
With Mobi... doesn't each device have a seperate ID number or something? I assume you have to give this/these ID numbers to the books stores? Does the PC reader also have/need an ID number? How may ID numbers can be embedded in a Mobi book?

(Perhaps this is duplicate info, but I'm lazy.)

Thanks,
BOb
Old 05-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Bob, yes, you give the device numbers to the bookstore, and your PC must be one of them if you want to read Mobi books on it. Actually I think you need to register your PC just to download them--someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Most stores allow three devices or more to be registered. I know I have my Cybook, my PC, and my Treo registered at the bookstores where I shop (Books on Board and Fictionwise).

Oh, and my Cybook (purchased in January) had Georgia preinstalled, too...along with Arial and Courier. My middle button clicks as well. Harry, you must have had a REALLY early model!
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's right - every device has an identifier called a PID, which is a 10 character alphanumeric string. All I had to do for my new device was to go to the web site (Fictionwise) where I bought my books, enter the new device PID, and re-download my books. Each book can be encoded for up to 4 different PIDs.

You can register the PID of the desktop reader if you wish, but I'm not bothered about being able to read DRM-protected books on that, so I've not bothered doing so. All I use the desktop reader for is "previewing" the Mobi books that I create to make sure that they look OK - it's a lot quicker than loading them onto the Gen3 to do so.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
Most stores allow three devices or more to be registered.
4 is the normal number.

Quote:
Oh, and my Cybook (purchased in January) had Georgia preinstalled, too...along with Arial and Courier. My middle button clicks as well. Harry, you must have had a REALLY early model!
Mine was one of the very first batch to ship, back at the start of November.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #11
Striking Claw
Enthusiast
Striking Claw doesn't litterStriking Claw doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, ILiad, HP hx4700
Quote:
With Mobi... doesn't each device have a seperate ID number or something? I assume you have to give this/these ID numbers to the books stores? Does the PC reader also have/need an ID number? How may ID numbers can be embedded in a Mobi book?

(Perhaps this is duplicate info, but I'm lazy.)

Thanks,
BOb
I mostly use mobipocket.com and there you can store 4 seperate IDs at the same time. You are also allowed to switch a existing ID with a new one (I allready had to use this feature).
Striking Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:08 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Recently found out that my office lotto pool hit 5 of 6 numbers on last night draw... divided out comes to a bit under $300 for each of us. Hmm... a book reader device or... been wanting to get a Mac (or mini to get started).

Decisions, decisions...

BOb
Old 05-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #13
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Just got my new Gen3 .

The nav button is significantly improved - a much "softer" and more positive feel to it. My "Enter" key now makes an audible "Click", however!

The biggest improvement is of course the internal memory. Comes up as 496MB in size, of which 484MB are initially free.

One interesting change is that it now comes with the "Georgia" font pre-installed.
I bought my "old version" Cybook in March, but have never had any problem with the feel of my Nav button -- I can't imagine it being much "softer." I wonder if there have been some slipstreamed improvements in the hardware along the way?

Also, mine cane with the Georgia font installed.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #14
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
wow, you really love your Cybooks! Is the "click" annoying, or is it pretty quiet? Also, have you noticed any difference in performance between your two Cybooks (speed or anything)?

I'm a little annoyed that they never even announced they were going to release new hardware (since I just bought my recently and would've liked the extra memory) but oh well I guess, it's the way of technology.
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:45 PM   #15
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Recently found out that my office lotto pool hit 5 of 6 numbers on last night draw... divided out comes to a bit under $300 for each of us. Hmm... a book reader device or... been wanting to get a Mac (or mini to get started).
With the tax package coming (assuming you're U.S.), you could buy Kindle and something else. Woweewoww.

Anyway, congrats.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote