Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Internet Usage

Since getting my iPad Mini Retina I have been getting emails from my Internet Provider each month saying that I am nearing my download max.

At first I thought this was due to downloading apps some of which were about 1GB and then downloading updates for them.

I have just got such an email and its only half way through the month and I haven't downloaded that much.

On checking my Internet Hub traffic it seems my iPad is pretty much permanently connected to the Internet, that is it shows connecting and disconnecting every few minutes, even when it's asleep ?

Would it be downloading anything whilst asleep without me requesting it ?

( I have powered it down and it seems to have disconnected from the Internet)

Last edited by mXb; 02-19-2014 at 11:43 AM.
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Some apps may be checking for status, or verification that they are registered. Why would you keep 3G on while you are not using it?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Some apps may be checking for status, or verification that they are registered. Why would you keep 3G on while you are not using it?
My iPad is the Wifi only model, no 3G.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

A LOT of apps use location services to phone home. Go into Settings --> Privacy --> Location Services and turn it off for apps you don't think need it. Most of my apps don't really need it but turn it on by default anyway.

Go into Settings --> Privacy and click on each app listed. This will show you a list of apps that have requested access to that app. This often means that these other apps are mining data and phoning it back home. Turn off access to apps you don't want accessing each of the apps in this list. BTW, you might be appalled at which apps want to access your Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, etc. Best to curb this snooping by other apps!

Also go into Settings --> Privacy --> Advertising and turn on Limit Ad Tracking. Just like Facebook, a lot of the apps are little more than data mining wastes of time.

These three things will help cut back on apps calling home and thus burning up internet allotments. I'm sure there are plenty of other helpful hints if you search for them.

ETA: You might also go into Settings --> iCloud and Settings --> Mail, Contacts, Calendars to tweak settings for how often and how much is synced and pushed to and from your iPad. Setting these controls could reduce internet usage as well.

Last edited by jswinden; 02-19-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:59 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post
Since getting my iPad Mini Retina I have been getting emails from my Internet Provider each month saying that I am nearing my download max.
Out of curiosity, what's your download maximum? We've got 6 iPads at home and even with iCloud, Dropbox, Netflix, iTunes, etc, I've never received such a notice from my ISP.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2014, 12:50 AM   #6
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Do you have iCloud backups enabled? Even though this is uploading, it may still count against your overall quota. I guess you'd know if you were using streaming services like Pandora, etc.

Also, photo stream uses Internet even if you are on a local network. And make sure you don't have automatic downloads on for apps, music, etc.

Instead of powering down at night, you can turn on airplane mode from the control center to save some time.

And you might want to check if your ISP has unmetered downloads during certain hours. When I was on satellite, downloads between 2-5 am were not counted toward the quota, so you can maybe schedule some things for those hours if your ISP does this.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:25 AM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
As you now have a tablet it might be worth looking for an ISP that has either unlimited downloads or a higher limit that you currently have. The very nature of a tablet means you will be on the Internet far more, and the data allowance being referred to as 'downloads' isn't just actual downloads it's also the surfing you do. Just viewing pages is part of your download allowance.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:26 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Out of curiosity, what's your download maximum? We've got 6 iPads at home and even with iCloud, Dropbox, Netflix, iTunes, etc, I've never received such a notice from my ISP.
We have multiple devices too and heavily use dropbox etc and we have never encountered a problem. We are with Talktalk.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
mXb
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
A LOT of apps use location services to phone home. Go into Settings --> Privacy --> Location Services and turn it off for apps you don't think need it. Most of my apps don't really need it but turn it on by default anyway.

Go into Settings --> Privacy and click on each app listed. This will show you a list of apps that have requested access to that app. This often means that these other apps are mining data and phoning it back home. Turn off access to apps you don't want accessing each of the apps in this list. BTW, you might be appalled at which apps want to access your Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, etc. Best to curb this snooping by other apps!

Also go into Settings --> Privacy --> Advertising and turn on Limit Ad Tracking. Just like Facebook, a lot of the apps are little more than data mining wastes of time.

These three things will help cut back on apps calling home and thus burning up internet allotments. I'm sure there are plenty of other helpful hints if you search for them.

ETA: You might also go into Settings --> iCloud and Settings --> Mail, Contacts, Calendars to tweak settings for how often and how much is synced and pushed to and from your iPad. Setting these controls could reduce internet usage as well.
Thanks for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
10GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
Do you have iCloud backups enabled? Even though this is uploading, it may still count against your overall quota. I guess you'd know if you were using streaming services like Pandora, etc.

Also, photo stream uses Internet even if you are on a local network. And make sure you don't have automatic downloads on for apps, music, etc.

Instead of powering down at night, you can turn on airplane mode from the control center to save some time.

And you might want to check if your ISP has unmetered downloads during certain hours. When I was on satellite, downloads between 2-5 am were not counted toward the quota, so you can maybe schedule some things for those hours if your ISP does this.
Thanks, I already switched off the automatic downloads.

I will try leaving it powered down and see if that's solves the problem and take it from there.

Thanks for all the replies and information...