Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
snobergen
snobergen began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 4 Non Touch
Question Kindle 4 Non-Touch -- replacement screen model please?

Hi guys, that's my first post on this forum

Can you please suggest which display model is used in Kindle 4 NT (Non-Touch)? I googled for hours but still not 100% sure on what model I need. There are two models available on eBay:

ED060SCG(LF) C1
ED060SCF(LF) T1

I know that some of you guys replaced e-ink screens on Kindles, so please suggest which one is compatible with a non-Touch Kindle 4.

Thanks!
snobergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
K4 are utterly awful to take apart... Make sure you're happy doing it before you order the part.

Then whilst you have it apart you can read the part number off the tiny label on the ribbon cable...
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
snobergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnymonster View Post
K4 are utterly awful to take apart... Make sure you're happy doing it before you order the part.

Then whilst you have it apart you can read the part number off the tiny label on the ribbon cable...
Oh, thank you for this tip, if there's a label on screen cable then I would definetely try to look at it first prior to buy replacement screen. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The K4 is glued together. You stand an excellent chance of destroying it while attempting to do so, so it would be better to get it dismantled before ordering anything.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
As seen in

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=15

A warmish hairdrier may help.

on http://blogkindle.com/2011/10/kindle...embly-part-ii/

he had a
Quote:
eInk dislpay is ED060CF(LF)T1 REN60B7075(C62)
HTH

Last edited by twobob; 03-23-2013 at 03:29 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
snobergen

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The K4 is glued together. You stand an excellent chance of destroying it while attempting to do so, so it would be better to get it dismantled before ordering anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post

Hi guys, thanks alot for your comments and tips. I know that there's a hell lot of glue inside (won't be surprised if Amazon produce it that way to make it harder to repair it). I found an excellent article on russian site with detailed pics and instructions on how to replace the screen:

http://habrahabr.ru/sandbox/56293/

It says it's possible to put Kindle on the light bulb for a couple of minutes (I'm not 100% you could find some of these in US but in other countries incl. mine they are still widely used). After that glue becomes much softer and might be easily removed. I'm gonna follow this guide and will provide a report and some extra tips for those in my shoes. Again, thank you very much!
Old 03-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

k. try to focus the heat on the edges of the device though... less is more...
Old 03-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
kolosus
kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 4 NT (wifi), Kindle 5 (3g + wifi)
You mentioned you're in a different country so this probably doesn't apply to you...

I got my K4 in October. Recently, after coming back from a short vacation, I found that my screen was cracked. OH THE HORROR! I was looking into the whole replacing screen process but come to find out that if your device is under warranty still (1 year or under) then you can get in touch with Amazon (chat or phone) and they'll replace it for you, for free!

I got my replacement device in under 24 hours. They just made sure that I understood that if I didn't return the old one they'd charge me for it on my Amazon account. They also sent me a prepaid label to send the old one back. Needless to say my old (broken) one is well on its way back to Amazon and all my books have synced to the new one they sent me!

For future reference and all that.
kolosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobergen View Post
Hi guys, thanks alot for your comments and tips. I know that there's a hell lot of glue inside (won't be surprised if Amazon produce it that way to make it harder to repair it).
They'll say it's to make it easier/cheaper to make... Also I just thought... I've seen K4 and KTouches available for sale secondhand here for around the same $40 price as a replacement screen (maybe a few $ more)
Old 03-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #10
twobob

you can get a k3 brand new screen for 30$ - unsure about the k4
Old 03-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #11
kolosus
kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 4 NT (wifi), Kindle 5 (3g + wifi)
When I was looking to replace my screen the prices that I saw were in the $45-50 range.
kolosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #12
snobergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosus View Post
You mentioned you're in a different country so this probably doesn't apply to you...

I got my K4 in October. Recently, after coming back from a short vacation, I found that my screen was cracked. OH THE HORROR! I was looking into the whole replacing screen process but come to find out that if your device is under warranty still (1 year or under) then you can get in touch with Amazon (chat or phone) and they'll replace it for you, for free!

I got my replacement device in under 24 hours. They just made sure that I understood that if I didn't return the old one they'd charge me for it on my Amazon account. They also sent me a prepaid label to send the old one back. Needless to say my old (broken) one is well on its way back to Amazon and all my books have synced to the new one they sent me!

For future reference and all that.
Indeed, they do provide 1-year warranty covering damaged screen issue but here's an interesting thing: I bought my K4 from a local reseller in Moscow, Russia in April, 2012 and immediately registered it. Then, after the screen got broken I contacted them asking to replace my K4 (it was in this month, March 2013). But (surprise!) they told me that reseller I bought it from bought it himself from Amazon on February, 2012 and thus my K4 isn't covered by warranty no more and there's nothing they could do for me. I told 'em it's just not right because (I believe) there are alot of local resellers incl. those in US selling K4s(Wallmart for instance though I'm not quite sure whether they really do). Assuming K4 is manufactured for more then 1 year now chances are you may buy K4 not covered by 1-year warranty at all (if follow this logic)! After I told this Amazon operator took a minute pause and then said that warranty still expired but (surprise again!) he will provide me with an extra promotional $30 to buy new K4 as an exception!!! ) Soon after that I bought new K4 w/ special offers for $69 while paying only $69-$30=$39!!! ) Now it's somewhere at Atlantics making its way to Moscow. Holy crap guys, I been a very loyal Amazon client so far and now I'm gonna be even more pro-Amazon guy. I just still can't believe there's a such pro-customer company like Amazon. It's a God's blessing to live in US enjoying customer support which is that high!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnymonster View Post
They'll say it's to make it easier/cheaper to make... Also I just thought... I've seen K4 and KTouches available for sale secondhand here for around the same $40 price as a replacement screen (maybe a few $ more)
That's right but since the risk to damage Kindle completely when replacing the screen is equal, it's much better idea to order _new_ screen (which is not covered in glue by the way) for the same $40 (incl. shipping) and use it as a replacement instead of taking donor Kindle, heat it to remove its screen and then heat reciepent Kindle to replace it. For those interested here's the link to Hong Kong seller's K4 replacement screen listing on AliExpress:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origi...554215126.html
Old 03-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
twobob

yeah. that was the 30 bucks site I was thinking of
Old 03-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #14
hunnymonster
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobergen View Post
That's right but since the risk to damage Kindle completely when replacing the screen is equal, it's much better idea to order _new_ screen (which is not covered in glue by the way) for the same $40 (incl. shipping) and use it as a replacement instead of taking donor Kindle, heat it to remove its screen and then heat reciepent Kindle to replace it.
If I bought a whole K4, I'd not be stripping it for parts - just using it as a replacement "as is"

I've used Yego a few times now - for K3 screens - one of the more rapid suppliers from China in my experience (because they ship from HK rather than PRC I suspect)