Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 01:22 AM   #31
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstardiode View Post
Okay, I tried it and it works. (Thanks mrmikel.) But see the next post of mine. (Please!)
i think that works because the "switch back and double click filename " bit is (re)opening the book again, after sigil has saved it. He did not explicitly say "save" within sigil but it is implied.

swap sony for ADE & set calibre hot keys as per my other post & you could use a similar workflow
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #32
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And did you know it spoils hybrid and threaded view modes to do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
No, I did not know that. But surely, if you reply to one guy, using "reply," and then add quoted stuff from other posts...hmm...(Hitch wanders off to see what happens).
You can use the "multi-quote" button (to the right of the "quote" button), or write the code by hand ([quote=username;postnumber])

I'm not sure how that works with threaded mode, though.

(just adding a quote from a separate "subthread" to check: )

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
how i do it...
EDIT: nope, it doesn't show the post as a reply... maybe that's something that can be fixed by the coding masters...

Last edited by Jellby; 02-04-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #33
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
You can use the "multi-quote" button (to the right of the "quote" button), or write the code by hand ([quote=username;postnumber])

I'm not sure how that works with threaded mode, though.

(just adding a quote from a separate "subthread" to check: )

EDIT: nope, it doesn't show the post as a reply... maybe that's something that can be fixed by the coding masters...
Hi:

It doesn't, but it does. If you just type a new post, and quote from several, it does not show the replies in Threaded/whatever view. However, if you quote from one, and then c&p posts from other posts, and use the quote ICON, it seems to put multiple replies under the post to which you are replying, which seems very odd. Either that, or I've misunderstood it entirely. Which is possible.

If Wolfie uses threaded view, I can see how he might find it vexing, but I'd rather reply to 2-3 people at once than type three replies, sorry to say.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #34
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
If Wolfie uses threaded view, I can see how he might find it vexing, but I'd rather reply to 2-3 people at once than type three replies, sorry to say.

Hitch
Same here. All day every day. Regardless of how it may work with threaded view, it always bugs me to see consecutive posts from the same user: one post per quote/reply. It looks cheesy in non-threaded view.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #35
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
I'm a little late to this particular show, but I'm wondering where is the added value of an additional program that simulates a 6" screen? Isn't the whole point of reflowed text that it resists fixed-dimension formatting? As some else mentioned, there are a slew of other screen sizes available for consuming ebooks, from computer screens to tablets to smart phones. But even if there only existed one screen size for ebooks, every e reader I've seen allows the user to change font-sizes, and most allow the user to change the font-family. Indeed, It is exceedingly rare that I see two consecutive e-readers on the subway using the same display settings.

Now i understand the desire for at least some level of stylistic control (otherwise we'd all be making plain-text books), but you should be able to roughly approximate your ideal dimensions by fiddling with window sizes and text magnification in Sigil itself. But since you can't reliably predict what a potential readers display settings will be, there's really no need (as far as I can tell), to look for an exact replication of settings that you've arbitrarily deemed "standard".
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #36
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
thanks

Quote:
how i do it is have the book in calibre & have the "open with" plug-in installed. then I set uphotkeys for open with sigil, & for open with ADE.
no need to mess with remove from ADE as open with does not actually seem to add it to ade library when called from calibre.I just close ADE when done.
sigil is set as my default app for epub so to see a book in sigil I can just double click it in calibre list

you should be able to also define "open with sony reader library" via the same plug in
Thanks cybmole. Your suggetion is a little over my head though. I don't have calibre (yet anyway) and don't know about plug-ins. I appreciate you taking the time to explain things, though. Maybe as I keep doing this, stuff will get more familiar and I can take you up on your suggestion. Bear
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #37
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes.

Quote:
i think that works because the "switch back and double click filename " bit is (re)opening the book again, after sigil has saved it. He did not explicitly say "save" within sigil but it is implied.

swap sony for ADE & set calibre hot keys as per my other post & you could use a similar workflow
You do gotta save it in Sigil (the way mrmikel suggested), but that's no big deal. Don't you (w/your hotkey setup) have to save it in Sigil after the edit (before you flip back to ADE)?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMiko View Post
I'm a little late to this particular show, but I'm wondering where is the added value of an additional program that simulates a 6" screen? Isn't the whole point of reflowed text that it resists fixed-dimension formatting? As some else mentioned, there are a slew of other screen sizes available for consuming ebooks, from computer screens to tablets to smart phones. But even if there only existed one screen size for ebooks, every e reader I've seen allows the user to change font-sizes, and most allow the user to change the font-family. Indeed, It is exceedingly rare that I see two consecutive e-readers on the subway using the same display settings.
It's not that the eBook is being designed for a 6" screen. It's just so you can see if it looks good there too. It's just another way to check how it looks. Also, most eInk Readers out there are 6" screens. If it looks good on a 6" screen and in ADE, (desktop) chances are it will look good on most screens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #39
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not that the eBook is being designed for a 6" screen. It's just so you can see if it looks good there too. It's just another way to check how it looks. Also, most eInk Readers out there are 6" screens. If it looks good on a 6" screen and in ADE, (desktop) chances are it will look good on most screens.
I understand what you're saying, but I don't understand why you're saying it ! while it's true that most eInk reader are 6" screens, I would guess they make up a mere plurality of all devices used to read ebooks. And moreover, people change font sizes and font-family on their eInk readers, so what you're looking at on your 6" is more than likely NOT exactly what a reader will see on his or her machine. Checking to see if your book "looks good" within certain fixed, precise dimensions is fooling yourself into thinking that more than 1 out of ten readers will see it displayed exactly as you've designed it. Given that, why not just satisfy yourself with the ballpark capabilities built into Sigil?

Last edited by ElMiko; 02-04-2013 at 06:24 PM.
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMiko View Post
I understand what you're saying, but I don't understand why you're saying it ! while it's true that most eInk reader are 6" screens, I would guess they make up a mere plurality of all devices used to read ebooks. And moreover, people change font sizes and font-family on their eInk readers, so what you're looking at on your 6" is more than likely NOT exactly what a reader will see on his or her machine. Checking to see if your book "looks good" within certain fixed, precise dimensions is fooling yourself into thinking that more than 1 out of ten readers will see it displayed exactly as you've designed it. Given that, why not just satisfy yourself with the ballpark capabilities built into Sigil?
I did also say to use ADE (desktop) which will be a different size then a 6" Reader. But if you can make it look good in a number of different sizes, then it's a go (IMHO).

Because sometimes Sigil displays differently then ADE.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #41
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
If you have used a table or various sizes of pictures, fancy drop caps or embedded fonts, it will become clear why Sigil is good only up to a certain point. Beyond that, it will need to be viewed in ADE or one of the viewer programs or a device.

Beyond that you will need to use epubcheck if it has footnotes because Flight Crew does NOT catch footnotes that aren't attached to a corresponding item, only duplicated ones.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
If you have used a table or various sizes of pictures, fancy drop caps or embedded fonts, it will become clear why Sigil is good only up to a certain point. Beyond that, it will need to be viewed in ADE or one of the viewer programs or a device.
ADE is THE program to use to check an ePub unless it's made for iBooks or a fixed format eBook for the nook.

Quote:
Beyond that you will need to use epubcheck if it has footnotes because Flight Crew does NOT catch footnotes that aren't attached to a corresponding item, only duplicated ones.
FlightCrew is terrible at catching ID errors.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #43
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

phew!

Boy this stuff can get complicated.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It just sounds complicated. It's actually much easier then it sounds.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #45
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
No, boyo:

You just gotta learn how to juggle.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote