Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #16
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Heavily formatted material is a hot button for me right now. I recently put up a piece on Iwo Jima and the original was full of inset boxes, pictures in the middle of columns, etc.

The inset boxes I set all the way to the back so as not to interrupt the text flow and left a link where they had been. The pictures in the columns caused text to be broken and picked up 5 or 6 paragraphs later during the OCR process.

If you are working with OCRed material from a PDF, and you switch to a text view and it is impossible to select the column you want, it is possible to select the text in the normal mode and it will stay in the column and you can just copy it and put it into the document in book view.

If it is just text, then if you can get it to look good in the Reader Library or ADE you are pretty much good to go. Tables are the main exception to that rule. You MUST look at them in ADE or the Reader Library to see how they will turn out.
thanks mrmikel, Thankfully (I don't know how you guys do it!) mine is a simple novel. Thanks for simplifying things for me.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #17
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing the Sony software does very well is show you how the ePub will look on a 6" screen.

Here is a link to Reader Library for Windows. This is a direct Sony link.

http://s02.download.sony.com/prs/US/...3.00.07130.exe
JS, Downloaded if off your link. Thanks. Looks good. Bright. Clear. Sharp resolution. One thing though--trying to remove my file, it seemed the only viable option was "delete" and when I choose that it comes with this:

Are you sure you want to delete the items from the library? Warning: Items which have been imported from removable media will be deleted from computer.

So if my epub is on a flash drive, I'm going to lose it? (For now I just want to proofread there and get out. SOME DAY I may want to learn how to work from the "list" thing, but right now I just want to make sure I don't lose my epub.)
Advert
Old 02-03-2013, 02:28 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You don't import anything to Reader Library. You just navigate to where the file is, double click and have a look.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #19
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks but more questions

Quote:
You don't import anything to Reader Library. You just navigate to where the file is, double click and have a look.
Thanks JS. Okay, so I don't have to import the file. But you say navigate to where the file is. How do I do that? (All I could figure was going to "view" then "My Documents" then double click on the file. Then I proofread. Then back to Sigil to edit. Then update the file in My Documents, then back to Sony to continue proofreading.) Is that what you had in mind or is there an easier way of doing it?

(And I don't usually have my epub file in "My Documents." It's usually on Desktop.)

And while I'm at it (I'm figuring there might be an easier way to do this too). In ADE 2.0 I'm doing File-->Add to Library-->double click on my epub. Then to get out I'm doing Library-->right clicking on my epub-->"remove from library"-->clicking the "remove" button.

Is there an easier way to do that?

A lot of questions--I know. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #20
sellew
Enthusiast
sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstardiode View Post
... But you say navigate to where the file is. How do I do that?...
You can navigate through your files within the Reader Library. Once you have opened your epub look at upper right corner of the application: you will see two icons (see attached image)
Clicking on them shows you the content of the folder where your file is located (you will get a list or a thumbnail view depending on which of the two icons you have clicked)
On the upper status bar you have the full path, and clicking there you can browse through your folders.

I think this is what you are looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Imagen1.png
Views:	157
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	100624  
sellew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstardiode View Post
Thanks JS. Okay, so I don't have to import the file. But you say navigate to where the file is. How do I do that? (All I could figure was going to "view" then "My Documents" then double click on the file. Then I proofread. Then back to Sigil to edit. Then update the file in My Documents, then back to Sony to continue proofreading.) Is that what you had in mind or is there an easier way of doing it?

(And I don't usually have my epub file in "My Documents." It's usually on Desktop.)

And while I'm at it (I'm figuring there might be an easier way to do this too). In ADE 2.0 I'm doing File-->Add to Library-->double click on my epub. Then to get out I'm doing Library-->right clicking on my epub-->"remove from library"-->clicking the "remove" button.

Is there an easier way to do that?

A lot of questions--I know. Thanks for the help.
Bear:

I'll leave the Sony answer to those who speak Sony, but, FYI, it's perfectly acceptable on MR to answer multiple people/posts at once, via quoting, in a single post. It will save you some time. ;-)

You can use the quote icon at the top of the screen, and then copy-paste whatever you are answering inside of the quote tags. If you want to, you can view quoted material to see how to attribute the quote to individual posters, OR you can, in your reply, indicate the poster by starting each new reply with something like, "@Hitch, blabbety-blab-blab." (Wherein, blab = your reply.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Bear:

I'll leave the Sony answer to those who speak Sony, but, FYI, it's perfectly acceptable on MR to answer multiple people/posts at once, via quoting, in a single post. It will save you some time. ;-)

You can use the quote icon at the top of the screen, and then copy-paste whatever you are answering inside of the quote tags. If you want to, you can view quoted material to see how to attribute the quote to individual posters, OR you can, in your reply, indicate the poster by starting each new reply with something like, "@Hitch, blabbety-blab-blab." (Wherein, blab = your reply.)

Hitch
And did you know it spoils hybrid and threaded view modes to do that?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #23
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Everything (LOL) seems complicated!

Quote:
Bear:

Hitch
Thanks Hitch, I'm sure I'll get this eventually. (I've already been booted out for using the wrong forum, and reprimanded (very gently, mind you) for toplisting (or something like that). Anyway, thanks for the tip and I'm going to try it out right now.

Bear
Old 02-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #24
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

THANK YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellew View Post
You can navigate through your files within the Reader Library. Once you have opened your epub look at upper right corner of the application: you will see two icons (see attached image)
Clicking on them shows you the content of the folder where your file is located (you will get a list or a thumbnail view depending on which of the two icons you have clicked)
On the upper status bar you have the full path, and clicking there you can browse through your folders.

I think this is what you are looking for.
Thanks sellew, your message (esp. the image) opened it up for me! It's a little scary because it seems my whole computer is suddenly on the Sony reader, but it certainly is efficient and easy.

Now, as so often in this tech stuff, there are questions that come up, which I will do another post on. Thanks again! Bear
Old 02-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #25
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
it's perfectly acceptable on MR to answer multiple people/posts at once
Hitch
She said acceptable, not required Jon. But I didn't even know there was a threaded or hybrid view...so I didn't know it would spoil it...Does anyone use those views??
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #26
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Okay, trying to figure this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post

See an error, click on the icon second from the right on the upper right corner. This brings back the file list. Switch to Sigil, correct. Switch back to Sony and doubleclick on the filename again and you will see the corrections.
Okay, I tried it and it works. (Thanks mrmikel.) But see the next post of mine. (Please!)
Old 02-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #27
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

This is what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
you cannot edit a file in sigil while it is open for reading in any other app: ADE, Calibre..., Sony.. AFAIK. Even if you could, it is asking for trouble! because as soon as you save the edit, then the open-for-reading copy is no longer the same as your saved work.
Now certainly this seems to conflict with mrmikel's thought and I am really pretty new and am pretty scared by cybomole's warning and I am not "asking for trouble."

But what's the deal? Is it okay to do the proofreading/editing the way mrmikel suggests? (Personally I can't see what the trouble might be. Like mrmikel said, 'the sony reader doesn't hold the file when it's in the list mode.'

THANKS!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #28
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
And did you know it spoils hybrid and threaded view modes to do that?
Wolfie, heart of my heart:

No, I did not know that. But surely, if you reply to one guy, using "reply," and then add quoted stuff from other posts...hmm...(Hitch wanders off to see what happens).

Quote:
She said acceptable, not required Jon. But I didn't even know there was a threaded or hybrid view...so I didn't know it would spoil it...Does anyone use those views??
Hmm...now I'm going to save this and see how it bollixes up the threaded and hybrid views.

Hmmm...it does add the second quoted post to the hybrid view. I'm not sure it "ruins" it, per se, but I can see that it might be confusing. I do this all the time, as does everyone else, and Wolfie, I don't recall you complaining about it before?

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 02-03-2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Added note about alteration to view
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Hmmm...it does add the second quoted post to the hybrid view. I'm not sure it "ruins" it, per se, but I can see that it might be confusing. I do this all the time, as does everyone else, and Wolfie, I don't recall you complaining about it before?

Hitch
It's been mentioned before in some thread where I quoted a lot at once in multiple messages. It was brought up about threaded mode. Until I looked recently, I didn't know we had hybrid mode.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #30
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
how i do it is have the book in calibre & have the "open with" plug-in installed. then I set uphotkeys for open with sigil, & for open with ADE.
no need to mess with remove from ADE as open with does not actually seem to add it to ade library when called from calibre.I just close ADE when done.
sigil is set as my default app for epub so to see a book in sigil I can just double click it in calibre list

you should be able to also define "open with sony reader library" via the same plug in
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote