Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #196
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
So far, only one book that I've checked out has the 'Read (In Your Browser)' feature. The thing about Brooklyn is they allow a whopping 15-limit checkout and I'm always well below that (can only read so many books in a week), so there may be many more books with that feature that I'm unaware of. (I'm one of those who don't really mind reading a book on the PC, so I'd definitely take advantage of it).
You get 15 books? I'm jealous. The NC library allows only 4.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #197
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I could live with 4. What I love about that library is they have tens of thousands more titles to choose from than my local library, so even paying the annual fee as a non-resident was well worth it to me.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 05:08 AM   #198
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
You get 15 books? I'm jealous. The NC library allows only 4.
Time for you to get even more jealous. Here the limits for the three libraries I use most:
  • Pierce County Library -- 30 checkouts; 30 holds
  • Seattle Public Library -- 25 checkouts; 25 holds
  • King County Library -- 20 checkouts; 10 holds

You gotta move up here. Seattle is library heaven. Large collections and generous limits.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #199
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

wow, you get all those holds, too? we get only 5 holds.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #200
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
@Diannc and 4691mls:

Just to make you feel better, my overdrive library is 3 checkouts and 3 holds.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 11:35 PM   #201
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I belong to 2 OverDrive libraries: 1 has 6 checkouts and holds, the other one has 10 checkouts and I haven't hit the hold limit yet. I find 16 books in 2 weeks to be too much...
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #202
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
At my library you can have 6 checked out at once and 3 on hold. Personally I'd rather see a lower checked out at once limit and a higher option for holds because the number of people ahead of you can vary from 1 to 100 and there's really no chance of them becoming available near the same time.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:49 AM   #203
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Ocean State has less people in the queue for most books than Brooklyn, but because you can keep the books for 21 days instead of Brooklyn's 14, their books take longer to become available.
So, the check-out period has a lot to do with the waiting time as well.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:49 AM   #204
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Well, crud. It's expanding.

I have access to 5 libraries (and for those sharing checkout limits, one allows FIFTY checkouts and unlimited items on the Wish List!), and now 3 out of 5 are on the "last (oops, next) generation" version of the website.

I'm going to get good at modifying the URL to get to the mobile site.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #205
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Today's Overdrive blog has the following statement that they take as proof that the new design is a roaring success:

Quote:
We’re seeing increased reader engagement across the board at all Next Gen libraries. Since the relaunch of Dayton Metro Library, readers are spending 22-percent more time on site, viewing 22-percent more pages.
Could it be because people can't find what they want and are spending more time trying to figure out how to navigate the site? And by taking the book descriptions off the search results page, people pretty much have to click to more pages to figure out what the books are about?

But hey - there's always proof that statistics can be used to prove whatever you already believe:

Quote:
We’re encouraged by this early data, and we appreciate all the feedback we’ve been receiving from library partners and readers.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:07 AM   #206
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Sadly, that sort of reasoning is quite common when defending bad design decisions (whether it's change for the sake of change, some idiot getting it into their head to implement UI design theories instead of sticking with what's known to work, or outright screwing their users or customers).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:25 AM   #207
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Today's Overdrive blog has the following statement that they take as proof that the new design is a roaring success:

Could it be because people can't find what they want and are spending more time trying to figure out how to navigate the site? And by taking the book descriptions off the search results page, people pretty much have to click to more pages to figure out what the books are about?

But hey - there's always proof that statistics can be used to prove whatever you already believe:
Are they SERIOUS?!?!!? People wasting time navigating the new site is a good sign?!
Mike @ Overdrive, what good comments did you guys get that encouraged you?!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #208
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Sadly, that sort of reasoning is quite common when defending bad design decisions (whether it's change for the sake of change, some idiot getting it into their head to implement UI design theories instead of sticking with what's known to work, or outright screwing their users or customers).
yeah, I bet the people who came up with New Coke also came up with some convincing statistics....
Old 12-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #209
4691mls
Wizard

Another irritating thing about the site now - this is something that bugs me about a lot of web sites, not just Overdrive - the sign-in page defaults to having the "remember me on this computer" box checked. It should default to unchecked.

If the box is unchecked, and someone wants to be remembered on this computer, they can check it once and never have to do it again.

But if the box defaults to checked, and I don't want to be remembered on this computer, I have to check the box every single time I log in.

I often go to the library site on break time at work, to see if anything on my wish list has become available, and I don't want it remembered on my work computer.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #210
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Another irritating thing about the site now - this is something that bugs me about a lot of web sites, not just Overdrive - the sign-in page defaults to having the "remember me on this computer" box checked. It should default to unchecked.

If the box is unchecked, and someone wants to be remembered on this computer, they can check it once and never have to do it again.

But if the box defaults to checked, and I don't want to be remembered on this computer, I have to check the box every single time I log in.

I often go to the library site on break time at work, to see if anything on my wish list has become available, and I don't want it remembered on my work computer.
Yes! I agree with this wholeheartedly!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote