Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-13-2016, 07:14 PM   #1
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Using OverDrive the Kobo Way!

Just thought it would be nice to have a thread devoted to Using Overdrive on the Kobo Devices. So as we boldly go where no Kobo Reader has gone before, perhaps we can document some of the things we discover on our journey there.

So hopefully We can start posting Tips And Tricks here.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:03 AM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I posted this in another thread, but as new information changes things a bit I'll report here

Officially Kobo does not (yet) support having multiple libraries per OverDrive account. There is a work around, and it's easier than what I had previously posted.

Simply login to your OD account. When prompted to pick a library, pick the one you want. Enter your card information. Search away.

To switch libraries, just log out from your OD account. You'll be prompted to make sure you want to do this, and assured you can continue reading whatever you have checked out.

Login and select the other library.

By default Kobo selects the one that makes the most sense based on your location via WiFi (regardless of what is and is not tied to your OD account). Just type the name of the library if it doesn't appear.

I had previously thought your card info was stored, but it does seem to expire. I'm not sure if it's after a certain amount of time, or a power off/on, etc. I do know it's not logging out of the OD account.

The catch to this is any book you borrow -MUST- be downloaded prior to switching. Otherwise it becomes a Kobo preview and nothing seems to be able to get it back. You can safely sync while logged on to any OD library without losing the books downloaded. Though you may want to start reading them, I have not tested on a borrowed and entirely unread book.

Not ideal, but it does seem to work. My libraries give you key dongles, along with wallet cards. So I've always got them with me.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2016, 08:41 AM   #3
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
So far I've only downloaded one overdrive book and that was directly through the kobo itself. Searched the book, it was available and clicked "borrow". Nice and easy.

What I'm wondering now is how to do this through the app or computer. I have lots of books "on hold". When it becomes available I'm assuming I will need to check it out via the app or computer. So do I go to "borrow" and "check out" and "download" then sync the kobo?
CatherineStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:17 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineStewart View Post
So far I've only downloaded one overdrive book and that was directly through the kobo itself. Searched the book, it was available and clicked "borrow". Nice and easy.

What I'm wondering now is how to do this through the app or computer. I have lots of books "on hold". When it becomes available I'm assuming I will need to check it out via the app or computer. So do I go to "borrow" and "check out" and "download" then sync the kobo?
If the same Overdrive account is being used in both places, you can borrow the books using other apps. Then sync the device and the books will download.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:07 AM   #5
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If the same Overdrive account is being used in both places, you can borrow the books using other apps. Then sync the device and the books will download.
I have tried this. Checking out a book from the KA1 was easy-peasy. I checked another one out from the website to see how it would work. This book had not been on hold. Syncing did not add it to my device. I had to go to the store, select the book, select "hold it on OverDrive", then it was added to the KA1. I had a problem then because every time the device synced, the book was removed. I had to repeat the process.

A book I had on hold became available on Monday. I checked it out from my PC. I cannot get it to the device. Syncing isn't working and the process I used with the first book isn't working. I got a message that there is a problem. My KA1 is headed back to Kobo today for an exchange (rainbow screen and color blobs) so I have given up for now.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlemom1 View Post
A book I had on hold became available on Monday. I checked it out from my PC. I cannot get it to the device. Syncing isn't working and the process I used with the first book isn't working. I got a message that there is a problem. My KA1 is headed back to Kobo today for an exchange (rainbow screen and color blobs) so I have given up for now.
What I found is that if I used the Overdrive app to checkout the book, I could get it on my Kobo. If I used the library web page to check out the book so I would need to use ADE if I downloaded it, it did not sync and when I tried to borrow it from my Aura One, the option was to put the book on hold.

Definitely a work in progress though my issue seems to be more an Overdrive/library issue.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:39 AM   #7
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What I found is that if I used the Overdrive app to checkout the book, I could get it on my Kobo. If I used the library web page to check out the book so I would need to use ADE if I downloaded it, it did not sync and when I tried to borrow it from my Aura One, the option was to put the book on hold.

Definitely a work in progress though my issue seems to be more an Overdrive/library issue.
Can you explain the detailed steps you made to check our through the app in order to get it synced onto your kobo?
Old 09-15-2016, 01:13 AM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Can you explain the detailed steps you made to check our through the app in order to get it synced onto your kobo?
I got notified today that a hold was available for me. I didn't use the Overdrive app. I just checked out the book through my library's Overdrive website. In other words, I borrowed the book (through the website) so that it shows up on my account bookshelf (on the website). Then, I pressed the "Sync tile" on the home page of my Kobo. The sync will force the book to download to your Kobo. Hope that helps!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:17 AM   #9
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I got notified today that a hold was available for me. I didn't use the Overdrive app. I just checked out the book through my library's Overdrive website. In other words, I borrowed the book (through the website) so that it shows up on my account bookshelf (on the website). Then, I pressed the "Sync tile" on the home page of my Kobo. The sync will force the book to download to your Kobo. Hope that helps!

Thank you. I'm just confused if I should click "download book" on the website after I click "borrow" or if just clicking "borrow" is enough in order to get it to sync onto my kobo. Guess I will have to try
Old 09-15-2016, 08:02 AM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you. I'm just confused if I should click "download book" on the website after I click "borrow" or if just clicking "borrow" is enough in order to get it to sync onto my kobo. Guess I will have to try
Just borrow is enough. I didn't click download on the website bookshelf. They are still on the website with the option to select format between ePub or Kindle.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:49 AM   #11
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
Quote:

I wonder if that was another defect with my device because it didn't work for me. I guess I will find out when I get my new one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #12
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!

Ok. So I log into my overdrive app. "Borrow" a book and add it to my overdrive library. Sync my kobo and..... Nothing.

Edited to add: I've tried this method on the iPhone app as well as safari browser on my iPhone. No luck with either. Logged into overdrive on my pc, and borrowed a book and it synced to my kobo. So even though all three books (one borrowed from the app, one from the browser on my iPhone and the one borrowed directly on my pc) are all showing in my overdrive account (both on my pc and my app) only the one that I actually clicked "borrow" on from the pc synced to my kobo. So if I try to borrow from the app or iPhone browser it won't sync to my kobo.

Is this a bug?

Last edited by CatherineStewart; 09-15-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:28 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Ok. So I log into my overdrive app. "Borrow" a book and add it to my overdrive library. Sync my kobo and..... Nothing.
I tried it through the Overdrive app (iOS) earlier, and it didn't sync for me too. It does sync when I borrow through my library's website on my Mac.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:34 PM   #14
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!

Quote:
I tried it through the Overdrive app (iOS) earlier, and it didn't sync for me too. It does sync when I borrow through my library's website on my Mac.
That's what I had to do. Is this a bug? Or just the way it is?
Old 09-15-2016, 07:46 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
That's what I had to do. Is this a bug? Or just the way it is?
Who knows. It would be nice if it worked.