View Poll Results: The New Kindles -- Like'em or Hate'em
Like'em 141 66.82%
Hate'em 13 6.16%
Still deciding 57 27.01%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #106
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I'm fairly ambivalent about the Paperwhite, like the screen despise no page turn button.
Yeah. Or +1. Or this. Or whatever I'm supposed to say to indicate agreement.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #107
mrevent
Zealot
mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: kindle 3w, dxg, 5, Kv
I was only interested in seeing a new touch DX...
("with audio, of course," -- this was needless to add until recently)

Last edited by mrevent; 09-07-2012 at 05:41 PM.
mrevent is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #108
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
I just came across this article that there is no way to opt out of the ads on the kindle fire models.

For 500$ I shouldn't have to look at ads.

I do have the special offer kindle, which hasn't had anything of interest in so long that I don't even notice the ad. I would not be interested in buying anything that included special offers again. It just not worth the money I am saving, I would rather see the cover of the book I'm reading.

Another thing I thought about today, does amazon have a plan to help developers optimize their apps for the bigger tablet? I believe most of the apps are still optimized for cell phones. The iphone apps didn't look so great on the ipad when it first came out.

The Paperwhite does not come with ads, correct? I don't think they do, but was really surprised to see that all the Fires do. Thought I might have missed it.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #109
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdolphins View Post
The Paperwhite does not come with ads, correct? I don't think they do, but was really surprised to see that all the Fires do. Thought I might have missed it.
You can choose to buy it either with or without ($20 difference in price).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #110
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdolphins View Post
The thing to remember here is that the $299 Fire HD comes with a 1920x1200 IPS panel and those things aren't cheap. I don't know what the price difference is between an 8.9" and 10.1" screen is at that resolution but with that many pixels I don't expect it to be much. What I do know is that there aren't any other 1920x1200 panels on devices under $400, and most are $450-500.

I personally think the 4G LTE version is overpriced, but the WiFi versions are so reasonably priced I'm not surprised at all.

Compare the base model 8.9HD to an iPad 2. The screen's only a little smaller, but the resolution is much higher. RAM and storage is the same and the Fire costs $100 less than the iPad despite a much more expensive panel.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #111
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
You can choose to buy it either with or without ($20 difference in price).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
The thing to remember here is that the $299 Fire HD comes with a 1920x1200 IPS panel and those things aren't cheap. I don't know what the price difference is between an 8.9" and 10.1" screen is at that resolution but with that many pixels I don't expect it to be much. What I do know is that there aren't any other 1920x1200 panels on devices under $400, and most are $450-500.
I agree with what your saying. I thought the prices were pretty fair. I know the ads are paying a much bigger part of the Fires than they do for the Kindles. I wonder how they price the ads on these devices. Anyone know how it works for the Kindle?

I will be interested to see the tear down once they are released. Besos stated they didn't want to lose money on the tablets.

For me I don't want adds for that amount of money. Most people probably won't care or may have different tolerance level. It is Friday and I'm tired and cranky so the news dump just annoyed me.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #112
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
A higher resolution e-ink display was the one thing I hoped Sony would deliver with the new T2. Good for Amazon to push the market into that direction. The lighting is a bonus provided it really doesn't have an adverse effect on glare and contrast.
The rest is definitively disappointing. Less storage, no buttons, no audio, generic design.

The reduced storage intends to increase the customer's reliance on Amazon's cloud storage even more.

The new Kobo line-up is far more enticing and impressive in my opinion.

The Fires will come officially to Germany for the first time. I am not impressed at all, though. I am not going to spend € 250 for a WiFi-only content delivery system for Amazon. A highly portable tablet without mobile connection is of dubious value. I'll rather spend € 50 - 100 more and get a Samsung with 3G connection and an SD-card slot.

Last edited by CommonReader; 09-08-2012 at 06:32 AM.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #113
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Paperwhite : Currently still using a K2i but my wife is increasingly borrowing it so I'm quite interested in getting one of these but it depends on how much they cost here in the UK. I love the idea of being able to read at night. Not so keen on the loss of the page turn button and audio - I actually kind of hoped they'd improve the voice reader software. If it disappoints then I'll probably just go for a discounted older model.

Fire: I think I still prefer the Nexus 7.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #114
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Let's go back to our roots ... Let's talk about what people on this forum like most: reading. And for pure reading experience, eink is the king.

Do I like my iPad? Yes. Do I like my new Nexus tablet? Yes. But still, they are tablets. I can't travel to Colombia without being worried about battery. I can't read in direct sun light, and I focus less because distractions. So I'm really happy that Amazon keeps innovating eink readers , it means they are still interested on that and we, people who like reading, should support it.

Call it Kobo, Nook or Kindle, but the market is still there and it's because were buying.

epub support? Wow, i can't believe people are still complaining about it. We should complain about DRM. Converting via calibre takes 60 seconds and in real life, both both look exactly the same.

I ordered my paperwhite and can't wait to use it.

Last edited by jocampo; 09-08-2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Fixing typos
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #115
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Let's go back to our roots ... Let's talk about what people on this forum like most: reading. And for pure reading experience, eink is the king.
That's hardly a settled question on this forum or in the world at large. For me, the Paperwhite is the first e-ink display to significantly erode tablets' advantages for reading. Density, contrast, an adjustable light source, faster navigation (due to both faster refresh and more robust internals) and more configurable reader software have trumped e-ink's battery life and under-a-spotlight readability for me. And of course, having one multi-purpose device is preferable to having another gadget rattling around.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #116
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I think the parental controls on the Kindle Fires are a *really* smart feature. I bet a lot of people buy Fires as a "starter tablet" for kids, and they want parental controls.

The other kind of parental control I would want (and I've heard others request it, too) is the ability to send only certain books to the device, not every book I've bought on my Amazon account. Can you do that now?

eP
You can do that now. When you buy, you can select the device or send the book to the cloud. I haven't tried the cloud, but I think it acts a bit like an archive. You could opt to send it to a different device (such as a laptop or different kindle.)
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #117
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
You can do that now. When you buy, you can select the device or send the book to the cloud. I haven't tried the cloud, but I think it acts a bit like an archive. You could opt to send it to a different device (such as a laptop or different kindle.)
It's not quite the same as you cannot specifically limit which books are available to which device. I have both kids books and some more adult fiction on my Amazon acc't - right now I cannot let my daughter choose the kids books but lock her out of the adult titles.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #118
stutzj
Zealot
stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Kindle 5(black)
Like em. I just ordered the paperwhite wifi. IMO, the single most important feature in a e-reader is the text display. I spend a good portion of my day in front of the computer for work and that's why I eventually decided to buy an ereader(kindle 4 and I use it primarily for Instapaper these days to catch up with my 'online' article/blog reading) so I could give my eyes a bit of a rest. I was a little disappointed with the text display on the K4 since I noticed a significant difference between my dad's K3 display and the K4 and required finding a sweet spot for optimal reading(usually with a clear light bulb). Judging from a few videos on youtube (obsessively watching the 1080p versions), there seems to be a step forward in resolution and clarity in the text. I think the adjustable light will help readers find the perfect reading light depending whether you're in the dark or sitting outside.

I am disappointed about the physical buttons. Seems like they could have buttons on a touch model as well.

I'm looking forward to getting mine.

Last edited by stutzj; 09-08-2012 at 08:13 PM.
stutzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:32 AM   #119
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Disappointed. I love my K4, but would have rather have the option of paperwhite than a cheaper price. I guess I will just read at night on my kf, as I have been. The longer battery life is really tempting, though.

I am very disappointed in the kf options. The larger one, at $299, doesn't tempt me as much as the Nexus 7. And the $499 for 250 mg? You have got to be kidding. I think I will buy a Nexus 7, and buy an ipad mini for my daughter. My kf and k4 will be just for reading.
I think the 200 dollar price jump is really covering what AT&T charges for it anyway. 15 bucks a month for 250mb at around 180 a year 20GB of cloud storage a year cost 10 dollars and the 10 dollar app store credit equals 200 a year. Amazon is actually making money on this deal at charging 50 a year, unless their hardware really is under priced. The Wifi model at 200 dollars cheaper makes the 499 tag a lot harder for me to swallow.

Anyway, I was going to say, I used 250mb plan on my iPad before I bought a new one and switched to Verizons plan. 250mb was used only if my home internet was done and while I was out. I used it for making and getting phone calls, surfing, emails etc.. NO Video! As long as you leave out streaming music and video, 250mb lasted me the entire month using it at least 4 days a week.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:44 AM   #120
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
Anyway, I was going to say, I used 250mb plan on my iPad before I bought a new one and switched to Verizons plan. 250mb was used only if my home internet was done and while I was out. I used it for making and getting phone calls, surfing, emails etc.. NO Video! As long as you leave out streaming music and video, 250mb lasted me the entire month using it at least 4 days a week.
I have a 1GB/month data allowance on my iPhone, and use it throughout the day for e-mail, web browsing, plus lots of use of apps that use the internet (eg Google Maps). I have never, in the two years that I've had it, used as much as 250MB in a month; my typical monthly usage is 100-150MB. A 250MB/month allowance is entirely adequate for many people.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote