Notices

View Poll Results: The New Kindles -- Like'em or Hate'em
Like'em 141 66.82%
Hate'em 13 6.16%
Still deciding 57 27.01%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #76
pomposity
pomposity knows what time it ispomposity knows what time it ispomposity knows what time it ispomposity knows what time it ispomposity knows what time it ispomposity knows what time it ispomposity knows what time it ispomposity knows what time it ispomposity knows what time it ispomposity knows what time it ispomposity knows what time it is

Device: sony 505
Paperwhite looks nice, but - does it allow nested collections? That's the only new feature I'd be looking for
pomposity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #77
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
No, we were talking about the .mp4 H.264 video downloads.
Yes they should play, provided they're drm free.

I regularly stream 1080p mp4 files from my PC to my iPad. I don't know what the max bitrate is that it can handle but ~10mbps seems fine.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #78
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Like some things, hate others?

Like: tech specs, new lighting tech

Hate: special offers, minimal onboard storage, no SD card, no epub support

I sum: great for new users, PITA for seasoned users looking to upgrade/jump ship
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #79
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Since the 8 gb Fire is now $159, I look forward to the Nexus being lowered to that price for the holidays. Then I may get a Nexus for my kids for Christmas. Then, I could take the n2a card out of the Nook Color and let it be used as it was meant to be used, rather than as an android tablet. I know the Nexus will work MUCH better for my kids games than the rooted NC.

None of the low end Kindle Fires will work with the Google Play apps from what I can tell. So the Nexus would be better. We don't have android or i phones. We have a lot of games from the play store.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #80
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
Like some things, hate others?

Like: tech specs, new lighting tech

I sum: great for new users, PITA for seasoned users looking to upgrade/jump ship
Ok, not to pick on you....

I don't understand why so many people say that the lack of epub support is negative for the Kindle? It would be like me going on a Nook thread and saying that the lack of support for mobi is a deal breaker. A Kindle is never going to support epub like a Nook will never support mobi. Get used to it and move on already. [/rant]
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #81
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
No matter how attractive the mall is down the street, I don't want to be forced to shop only there (unless, that is, I want to take some circuitous route through a shit-filled sewer to get to another store).
What exactly do you think is not available from Amazon that is available from B&N, etc.? Nothing that I know of. You can also buy from Smashwords, Baen, Fictionwise, etc.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #82
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
Quote:
I felt the same way at first but I'm not bothered anymore because:

1. I paid full price so no special offers for me.
2. I ordered 3G version so I will always have access to the 5GB of cloud storage (except on a plane).
3. I have already converted my existing epub library to mobi in preperation.

My fourth issue was lack of audio support. However, I have had my PRS-505 for several years and I have never plugged in a pair of headphones. If I want MP3s I will listen to them on my Android phone or Android watch (MotoACTV).
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #83
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post

I don't understand why so many people say that the lack of epub support is negative for the Kindle? It would be like me going on a Nook thread and saying that the lack of support for mobi is a deal breaker. A Kindle is never going to support epub like a Nook will never support mobi. Get used to it and move on already. [/rant]
The reason is that ePub is an open standard. The standard is not controlled by one company and it is being improved upon. It is also technically superior to the older mobi format. The ePub format also works across all the major brands of eReaders -- except Amazons. People complain about it for the same reason they complain about Amazon forking Android. It limits the devices usability and locks customers out of new features as they come available. Amazon has made the choice to put a wall around their platform, but consumers have the right to justifiably voice this displeasure with Amazon's choice. I understand you don't want to hear about it, but I suggest you just move on and get used it.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #84
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ePub may be an open standard, but it has its problems.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=189866

I understand that people like different things and have different want, etc. I'm certainly not saying that you have to like what Amazon, Google, Apple does all of the time. Buy what is best for your needs. Complaining that Amazon doesn't support epub is like complaining that a Nexus 7 device won't run my iOS apps or I can't play Halo on my wii.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #85
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
No, we were talking about the .mp4 H.264 video downloads.
Oh, mp4s are those video files things aren't they? As you can tell, I'm not very techy.

But really, I was taking the opportunity to post about how silly it is that Amazon is among those who say DRM is so necessary for digital media, yet when a market opportunity is better served without it, they happily forego DRM. I think it just goes to show that, as most of us know anyway, DRM is really mostly just a pain-in-the-butt for paying customers and like trying to stop sand flowing in the desert, and not really a "necessary" measure.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #86
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Thanks, Jon.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #87
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Oh, mp4s are those video files things aren't they? As you can tell, I'm not very techy.

But really, I was taking the opportunity to post about how silly it is that Amazon is among those who say DRM is so necessary for digital media, yet when a market opportunity is better served without DRM, they happily forego it. I think it just goes to show that, as most of us know anyway, DRM is really mostly just a pain-in-the-butt for paying customers and like trying to stop sand flowing in the desert, and not really a "necessary" measure.
Yes, but tell it to the publishers and some authors/agents. They wouldn't let Amazon sell their books without DRM (Amazon does sell books without DRM when the author/publishers tells them to). As for movies I doubt the movie studios will ever get away from DRM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #88
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Quote:

Well, to help clarify my position:

epub is pretty common, not an exlusively B&N format. Many retailers use it in one form or another, admittedly with some cross-support hiccups. While Amazon should feel free to prefer their own standard, at least some basic support for a more widely available one would help win over people, IMO, from their Nook, Kobo, Sony, etc.

I don't expect a Nook to support azw or mobi because, really, very few to no other retailers sell those formats except Amazon. (If B&N decides to do it, I think that's an awesome idea. Personally, I was a bit peeved when they dropped pdb support post-N1E.)

In my mind it would be like Apple deciding iPods don't support mp3.

It's not a deal breaker for me, just something in the negative column.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #89
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
The Paperwhite is the first Kindle product I've seen that's actually a decent piece of hardware for its time. It's a little tempting, but I'm not in the gadget market just now and I'd rather wait and see if a rootable Android device comes along with a similar quality display (and more storage, and a headphone jack for TTS).
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #90
ucfgrad93
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
I don't expect a Nook to support azw or mobi because, really, very few to no other retailers sell those formats except Amazon.
Contrary to popular belief, Amazon is not the only place to buy mobi formated ebooks. Smashwords, Fictionwise, Baen all sell them.