Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Kobo (touch?) page numbers per chapter

I'm wondering whether reading a book and not knowing how many pages it has in total annoys more people. This kobo thing where they show you're on page 27 of 32 of chapter 4 is completely incomprehensible to me! In this example, I know I'm almost done with chapter 4, but I have no way of knowing how many other chapters I have left before the book ends (because you know, I don't know the TOC of each book by heart). I much prefer it say page 146 of 387, so I know what's up ahead.

Can anyone explain why kobo decided to show page numbers per chapter?
Does anyone enjoy seeing pages per chapter (and if so, why)?

For any book I buy from Kobo, I have to download the epub version to get rid of the weird pages-per-chapters concept... which is a shame, because that means I can't sync the book (and my bookmarks) between my devices
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Personal preferences and others would be equally upset if you changed it to the other way now. Some people like to know there is only 3 pages left in a chapter so they will finish it before they stop reading vs 10 left so they might as well just stop now.
I think (and I might be wrong) that part of the answer is the way a kepub is put together. IIRC each chapter in a kepub is a separate file. In order to figure out pages/book it would have to go through each of these every time you opened the book or changed font or font size which would slow things down. Most epubs are one file so this is a more straight forward thing. Not sure the whole rationale behind the kepub structure but it likely has to do with the processing involved to make sync between devices work (a lot easier if you are looking for word 234 in a given chapter than finding word 3245 in a whole book).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Not sure the whole rationale behind the kepub structure but it likely has to do with the processing involved to make sync between devices work (a lot easier if you are looking for word 234 in a given chapter than finding word 3245 in a whole book).
The kepub has encrypted chapters in an unencryrpted epub carrier.

I don't think that it unencrypts the entire book at any one point, I think everything happens on a chapter-by-chapter basis. Of course, I have no wat of knowing if this is true or not.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:49 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If you import a drm free kepub into the Kobo App on Android, the imported book has the same numbering scheme we see on kepub books. It seems to be the rendering engine rather than the book files themselves that determine the numbering.

On the Touch, if you invoke the bottom menu, you can see/estimate how far into the book you are. You can also see % read when you put the book to sleep.

It's not the same as a paper book, but knowing how much more I have to go in a chapter really works for me.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:16 AM   #5
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
On the Touch, if you invoke the bottom menu, you can see/estimate how far into the book you are. You can also see % read when you put the book to sleep.
Mmm, yes, but it's always a percentage scale. If I'm halfway through a book that has 150 pages, I'll be done tomorrow, whereas if I'm halfway through a book with 400 pages, it'll take me a while longer. That's why I don't really like the % or the bar on its own. I like to know it's 200 pages of 400 (and knowing that's 50% done is a bonus) and estimated finishing date is, say, Friday.

Quote:
It's not the same as a paper book, but knowing how much more I have to go in a chapter really works for me.
Yeah I understand that too. The way I have it set now (always display 200 of 400 pages) I never know how far I've got left to read till the end of the chapter. That's annoying for the reason mentioned by Robko:

Quote:
Some people like to know there is only 3 pages left in a chapter so they will finish it before they stop reading vs 10 left so they might as well just stop now.
I miss being able to estimate that. Making the bottom menu appear I do see the little stripes indicating new chapter starts, but then again, a space of 2 mm from where I am could mean anything from 1 to 1000 pages depending on how many pages my book has...

I suppose the best option would be to display both pages per chapter and pages per total... For instance have one in the bottom of the book, and the other somewhere in the bottom menu, and then make it user definable which goes where to please everyone (wooo, pleasing everyone! Just imagine!)
Advert
Old 08-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Personal preferences and others would be equally upset if you changed it to the other way now. Some people like to know there is only 3 pages left in a chapter so they will finish it before they stop reading vs 10 left so they might as well just stop now.
I think (and I might be wrong) that part of the answer is the way a kepub is put together. IIRC each chapter in a kepub is a separate file. In order to figure out pages/book it would have to go through each of these every time you opened the book or changed font or font size which would slow things down. Most epubs are one file so this is a more straight forward thing. Not sure the whole rationale behind the kepub structure but it likely has to do with the processing involved to make sync between devices work (a lot easier if you are looking for word 234 in a given chapter than finding word 3245 in a whole book).
It looks to me like all the information is available, and Kobo could implement it if they wanted to. They know the chapter stops (displayed when you hit the menu, and I'm guessing that ADE isn't displaying this).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:44 AM   #7
dsandrei
dsandrei doesn't litterdsandrei doesn't litterdsandrei doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
I personally like the page numbers per chapter. From what I saw each chapter is contained in one file inside the kepup and it takes some time to compute the number of pages (screen turns) in a chapter. You can see this by changing the font size and you'll notice it takes a while to recfresh the numbering so I assume they did it pe chapter in order to shorten the time it takes to compute the number of pages. In order to know where you are inside the book you have the percentage although this may not be enough for some people. I think it's just a matter of preference.
dsandrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
catwomanau
Kobo Touch Newbie
catwomanau has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austencatwomanau has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austencatwomanau has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austencatwomanau has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austencatwomanau has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austencatwomanau has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austencatwomanau has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austencatwomanau has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austencatwomanau has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austencatwomanau has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austencatwomanau has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Touch
I too, loved the numbers just for the chapter but have just recently discovered a major problem with this... I purchased a pathophysiology text from Kobo and cannot reference the actual page number in my assignments!!! Loving my kobo but tearing my hear out over a simple thing.....
catwomanau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by catwomanau View Post
I too, loved the numbers just for the chapter but have just recently discovered a major problem with this... I purchased a pathophysiology text from Kobo and cannot reference the actual page number in my assignments!!! Loving my kobo but tearing my hear out over a simple thing.....
You could solve that problem by downloading the pathophysiology book in epub version with DRM, and put it on your device via ADE. That makes the page numbers show up per total
Old 09-12-2012, 05:40 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catwomanau View Post
With your book open, invoke the bottom menu, choose the wrench, then advanced settings, then page 2. Put a check mark next to "Show Margin Page Numbers". The page numbers that you would see in an Adobe formatted ePUB will then display in your right hand margin of the kepub.

There is not yet wide agreement on how to reference ebooks. Here is a post about the APA guidelines for citations of this sort: http://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/20...an-e-book.html.

MLA guidelines: http://www.mla.org/style/handbook_faq/cite_an_ebook
Old 09-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
The page numbers that you would see in an Adobe formatted ePUB will then display in your right hand margin of the kepub.
That's not true Vicki. That only turns the numbers ON and OFF in sideloaded epubs. The don't show in kepubs at all.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Robko, you're right--my mistake.

v