Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
If you want book selection what I am told is that B&N has a broader book selection but amazon has more free and low cost books, where low cost means $4 and below. So neither is better than the other which one you get depends on your priorities.
Do B&N sell to people in Canada? I thought they only sold in the US.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #17
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineStewart View Post
You can always use Calibre (free software) to easily/quickly convert your PDF's to epub for the Kobo should you want to read them in epub format (although the Kobo can read PDF's). I have a Kobo Touch and I'm really enjoying it. I wanted cheap too and it serves it's purpose well.

ETA I'm in Canada also.
You can also use PDF to Epub http://www.pdftoepub.com/ to convert pdf files for use on the Kindle. They have extended their free promotional til May of this year (usually $39.95) and it works fairly well. It also converts not only to epub but to HTML and kindle formats directly. The only problem is it can only convert one file at a time so if you have a number of PDF files it can take a little while to convert everything. I've converted PDF's with it for use on my Kindle and found it a good converter. Some files have headers which pop up on each page when converted directly to Kindle but a file can also be converted to HTML or epub so it's editable as well. And of course sometimes you can send a file to yourself via your Kindle email address with 'convert' in the subject box and have Amazon convert the file for you too. Kindle is the cheapest priced reader that I know of.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #18
hopkinsenglish
Connoisseur
hopkinsenglish began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Go for the PRS-350. Refurbs are discounted now in the Sony Outlet store for $59.98 (after adding them to your cart). PDF reflow is great, although it seems to be finicky with larger size PDFs.
hopkinsenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:29 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A 5" reader and PDF is a terrible idea. It just won't work at all well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #20
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
The iriver Story HD for $49.95 at Target if that deal can still be found would be awesome for you. It has a 1024x768 screen and a fast CPU, I am very impressed with it.

It would be decent for scanned PDFs if it only was 9.7 size...otherwise it rocks.
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #21
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Kobo Touch has just been reduced to $99 in Canada...with a gel-skin case (limited time offer for the free case)
http://www.kobobooks.com/mothersdayg...26mothersdayCA
If you want to borrow library books (cheaper than buying from Amazon or any other bookstore!) Sony or Kobo e-readers allow borrowing from public libraries.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #22
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do B&N sell to people in Canada? I thought they only sold in the US.
I have bought B & N ebooks but they do limit the selection according to geographic location, same as Amazon or any other US bookstore.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #23
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
My local best buy advertised a intro kindle for $40. That seems like a great deal for a cash straped student.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #24
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
My local best buy advertised a intro kindle for $40. That seems like a great deal for a cash straped student.
The OP is in Canada so probably cannot get that deal.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote