Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-01-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
maya2012
maya2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Cover in calibre

I'm trying to create a mobi file from html using Calibre. I add a jpg file as the cover in their metadata. Then I convert this to mobi and upload to my kindle. When I open this document in kindle, it skips the cover and goes to the first page after cover (which happens to be Table of Contents).

I can still access the cover by using "Go To" and selecting cover. Yet if I go to the cover and then click home, when I reopen the document it again goes to the Table of Contents.

How can I get my document to open directly to the cover?
maya2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:27 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
This is a "feature" of the Kindle Reader software. In the MOBI format the cover is separate from the "flow" of the document and some reader apps don't show it except when a user asks for it explicitly. Other MOBI apps do show it (for example the Kindle Fire starts on the cover).

Since this is part of MOBI, the only work around is to include the cover twice. Once as a cover item and once embedded in the HTML of the first page.

Note that the TOC can also be taken out of the flow in a MOBI if you want. For example, Calibre will create one for you based on detecting Chapter headers. Like the cover, the TOC can be in the flow, out of the flow, or both.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
maya2012
maya2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
If I include the cover embedded in the html of the first page, Calibre will put the TOC before the cover. Calibre only gives me two options: either to put the TOC in the very beginning or at the end. I am using automatically generated TOC.

Is there a way to make Calibre put the TOC after the cover if the cover is embedded in the html file?
maya2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Probably not. The TOC at the end is the usual way to produce a MOBI, see What’s the deal with Table of Contents in MOBI files?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
Whackatagin
Tweaker
Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle / KOBO / PC
The problem "probably" lies in the source html.

To create good well formed mobi in calibre you are best to input a "default" epub doc.

Try...

Opening your html in Sigil and then save as to create an epub. Break it up into chapters (there's a guide somewhere on the forums, just search it - Rough guide Word to mobi..I think,) The very first file should be your cover and it should be *.htm not xhtml. If it is not, create a new break at the top of the htm page, if you want to keep it, rename it the same as the first xhtml file ( add an "a" to the end). Now import your cover image to the htm page, save. Check and tidy your epub, generate a nice clean TOC/NCX, and edit as required, then and use calibre to convert the epub to to mobi. Remember to tick the "Put TOC at start" box.

You should now have, cover, TOC, title page....etc.

Good luck.
Whackatagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert