Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #781
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester
Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
That's more than I've ever bothered testing with. Attached is a version that will scroll the custom columns list when it gets long. See if that helps you any.

Jim

Yesss!!! Thank you very much. That solved the problem.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #782
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Okay.

I was going to do that anyway--it was already coded before you reported your problem.
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #783
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Version 1.6.8 - 06 Sep 2012
  • Add 'Relationships' metadata for sites that support it, or are dedicated to a 'ship.
  • Add 'extracategories', 'extragenres', etc to ini to avoid hard coding them in the adapters.
  • Special code to *not* include Config & About menu options for Mac users. (Can still configure plugin from calibre's configuration.) Causes some Macs to crash.
  • Fix for dracoandginny.com adapter for different skins.
  • Fix for & in tags.
  • Scroll custom column config tab for users with lots of custom columns.

So far, I've found 6 sites that record relationships or pairings and 13 that are dedicated to a particular pairing. Please let me know if I've missed any.

Jim
Old 09-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #784
dailyalice
Geek of All Trades
dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Oasis (3rd gen)
Ooh! Love the addition of ships and also the ability to set categories and genres etc. on a per site basis. And scroll is helpful too-- I'd actually removed my separate pairing column as I tried to have fewer columns and was doing pairings as sub-categories, but now have added Relationships back into the mix.

I was stumped briefly when I couldn't find where I could adjust preferences for the plug-in. FWIW I've been using the plug-in on my Mac just fine without any crashes. First crash I had in some time came after adjusting from where you can configure things now (plug-ins page). Only happened the once though. (Am running OS X 10.7.4 on an 11" Air.)

Thanks, Jim!
Old 09-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #785
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailyalice View Post
I was stumped briefly when I couldn't find where I could adjust preferences for the plug-in. FWIW I've been using the plug-in on my Mac just fine without any crashes. First crash I had in some time came after adjusting from where you can configure things now (plug-ins page). Only happened the once though. (Am running OS X 10.7.4 on an 11" Air.)
If you change the config a lot, you can set a hotkey to pull up the FFDL config dialog.

Without a Mac of my own to test on, and the rather sporadic problem reporting for Mac I've been getting, I went with a rather brute force 'fix'.
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #786
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Hi,

I've noticed that with a few stories at the A03 archive the download and convert to epub doesn't quite work. They appear to work in Calibre (I can view the stories on the Calibre Viewer) However when I transfer the stories to my Sony PRS-650 I get an error message that says, "Page Error."

These are two stories that had the problem.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/464341
http://archiveofourown.org/works/499021

My current solution has been to re-convert the files to epub. However, I'm not sure why this happens to some stories and not others?

I also noticed that I cannot add multiple story links to the fan fiction downloader box because then they all have the Page Error message and I wasn't sure if this was related?

I downloaded the above links individually.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #787
jjm6383
Enthusiast
jjm6383 is on a distinguished road

Device: Pandigital Nova, Aluratek Libre Pro, Dell Axim x51v
I'd like to make a site request:

Highlander Fiction:
http://hlfiction.net/index.php

Thanks,
Joyslin
Old 09-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #788
Dylan Tomorrow
Connoisseur
Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Android smartphone w/ FBReader
Hi, using the current calibre 0.8.68 and current version 1.6.8 of your plugin under Ubuntu 10.04 the following fanfic fails to download: http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/barb/HPATPS.html

It fetched the metadata and then the story data and then told me that it had found 0 updates?, although the story is not in my library yet. Next thing I said "fuck it!", gave it the story link plus ALL the chapter links at once and waited what happened. It fetched the metadata and then the story data and then ... told me that it had found 0 updates, and this time I had set it to overwrite. Can I give you some debugging info somehow, is there a mode I can activate? The GUI "log" gives me nothing.

[I also downloaded 7 other fanfics from fictionalley by the same author, all of them downloaded normally.]
Old 09-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #789
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I've noticed that with a few stories at the A03 archive the download and convert to epub doesn't quite work. They appear to work in Calibre (I can view the stories on the Calibre Viewer) However when I transfer the stories to my Sony PRS-650 I get an error message that says, "Page Error."
The epub fails only on your Sony PRS-650? And only for some stories, while others still work? That suggests bad/unusual HTML in those particular stories.

Quote:
These are two stories that had the problem.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/464341
http://archiveofourown.org/works/499021

My current solution has been to re-convert the files to epub. However, I'm not sure why this happens to some stories and not others?
I'm able to d/l these two and view them on my Nook fine. Running them through epubcheck shows only minor HTML errors, and those errors are still there after epub->epub convert. I don't have a Sony PRS-650 to test on, so that's the best I can do for testing. If you post an epub that has the problem here, that might help some.

Quote:
I also noticed that I cannot add multiple story links to the fan fiction downloader box because then they all have the Page Error message and I wasn't sure if this was related?
Shouldn't be. A single URL is just a batch of one--the same code is used.

Are you sure it isn't all new downloads giving that error? Because that I could possibly explain.

A few versions back, I added some new CSS to help with a problem on Nook. It's possible that addition ("adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed;") is what's causing your problem. You could try putting the snippet below (removes "adobe-text-layout") in your personal.ini and see if that helps.

Code:
[epub]
## Allow customization of CSS.  Make sure to keep at least one space
## at the start of each line and to escape % to %%.  Also need
## background_color to be in the same section, if included in CSS.
## 'adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed;' prevents hyphenation on newer Nooks
output_css: 
 body { background-color: #%(background_color)s;
        text-align: justify;
        margin: 2%%; }
 pre { font-size: x-small; }
 sml { font-size: small; }
 h1 { text-align: center; }
 h2 { text-align: center; }
 h3 { text-align: center; }
 h4 { text-align: center; }
 h5 { text-align: center; }
 h6 { text-align: center; }
 .CI {
     text-align:center;
     margin-top:0px;
     margin-bottom:0px;
     padding:0px;
     }
 .center   {text-align: center;}
 .cover    {text-align: center;}
 .full     {width: 100%%; }
 .quarter  {width: 25%%; }
 .smcap    {font-variant: small-caps;}
 .u        {text-decoration: underline;}
 .bold     {font-weight: bold;}
Another possibility is that sometimes different skins can cause problems. If you've reskinned AO3 try switching back to the default skin.

Jim
Old 09-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #790
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Tomorrow View Post
Hi, using the current calibre 0.8.68 and current version 1.6.8 of your plugin under Ubuntu 10.04 the following fanfic fails to download: http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/barb/HPATPS.html
It's working fine for me. I tried it on Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS with calibre 0.8.68 and FFDL 1.6.8. Although it is a story that requires you to answer that yes, you're an adult.

Giving multiple chapter URLs to the same story won't do anything useful. Either they'll be ignored or they'll all normalize to the same story URL.

You can get more debug output by running calibre from command line as 'calibre-debug -g'.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #791
crackshot91
Enthusiast
crackshot91 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3G
I love this plugin so much. It's simply wonderful.

I was wondering, however: Is there a way to create a custom column that displays the number of chapters in a story? If not, perhaps a way to tag a story with just one chapter as "oneshot"?

I have the Count Pages plugin that provides the wordcount, now all I need is the chapter count and maybe a way to automatically download the cover image from fimfiction.net.

I created a thread in the Library Management section of the forum, but I was directed to ask about a way to do it with FanFictionDownloader.

Thank you for your time.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #792
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
The epub fails only on your Sony PRS-650? And only for some stories, while others still work? That suggests bad/unusual HTML in those particular stories.
It's hard to test on other devices because I only have the Sony PRS-650.

Quote:

I'm able to d/l these two and view them on my Nook fine. Running them through epubcheck shows only minor HTML errors, and those errors are still there after epub->epub convert. I don't have a Sony PRS-650 to test on, so that's the best I can do for testing. If you post an epub that has the problem here, that might help some.
I've attached an example EPUB to this message.

Quote:

Shouldn't be. A single URL is just a batch of one--the same code is used.
Yeah that's what I thought but in earlier tests I found that it only works if I enter one url at a time. Otherwise I'd get the page error message. I haven't tested it recently to see if anything has changed but I can.

Quote:

Are you sure it isn't all new downloads giving that error? Because that I could possibly explain.

A few versions back, I added some new CSS to help with a problem on Nook. It's possible that addition ("adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed;") is what's causing your problem. You could try putting the snippet below (removes "adobe-text-layout") in your personal.ini and see if that helps.
I've downloaded at least 50 stories in the last month and only about 6 of them had the page error message so I don't think it's only new downloads that display this problem. It's been there at least 5 months because I've using the plugin since April.

Quote:

Another possibility is that sometimes different skins can cause problems. If you've reskinned AO3 try switching back to the default skin.
I'm using the default skin already.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Sylvia - The Persistence of Iron.epub (108.4 KB, 164 views)
Old 09-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #793
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackshot91 View Post
Is there a way to create a custom column that displays the number of chapters in a story? If not, perhaps a way to tag a story with just one chapter as "oneshot"?
Chapter column: yes--I use that myself despite kiwidude's and theducks' opinions of chapter counts.

Once configured, FFDL will fill in the chapter number as reported by the source site. If it's not populating, make sure you have 'Update Metadata' checked when you do the download. I keep 'Default Update Calibre Metadata' on the FFDL Basic config tab checked.

Tagging 'oneshot' is harder, since it's status=Completed and chapters=1. After you get chapter count filled you could find them and then mark them self, but that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackshot91 View Post
I have the Count Pages plugin that provides the wordcount, now all I need is the chapter count and maybe a way to automatically download the cover image from fimfiction.net
FFDL can fill a word count column with the word count as reported by the source site (but there are a couple sites that don't report word count). If you do both, Count Pages will overwrite the number from FFDL.

FFDL will include the cover image from fimfiction.net if it's configured to include images. There's a 'Include images in EPUBs' checkbox on the FFDL Basic config tab, or you can configure it more precisely in personal.ini.

Jim
Old 09-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #794
crackshot91
Enthusiast
crackshot91 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Chapter column: yes--I use that myself despite kiwidude's and theducks' opinions of chapter counts.

Once configured, FFDL will fill in the chapter number as reported by the source site. If it's not populating, make sure you have 'Update Metadata' checked when you do the download. I keep 'Default Update Calibre Metadata' on the FFDL Basic config tab checked.

Tagging 'oneshot' is harder, since it's status=Completed and chapters=1. After you get chapter count filled you could find them and then mark them self, but that's about it.

FFDL can fill a word count column with the word count as reported by the source site (but there are a couple sites that don't report word count). If you do both, Count Pages will overwrite the number from FFDL.

FFDL will include the cover image from fimfiction.net if it's configured to include images. There's a 'Include images in EPUBs' checkbox on the FFDL Basic config tab, or you can configure it more precisely in personal.ini.

Jim
Thank you very much for the response, Jim.

It worked! I had it set to "overwrite if newer", so since the fic wasn't newer on the site, the metadata wouldn't update. It also updates the cover art automatically as well!

Now, I just have a couple more questions. First: Is there a way to always update the metadata, but only overwrite the epub if it's newer on the site? Does "Always Overwrite" essentially accomplish this?

Also, is there a way to set calibre to automatically convert the epub that FFDL downloads to a mobi file? I found that I need to download the book as an epub and THEN convert to mobi, so that I get the chapter marks and skipping function on my kindle. (Thanks to this thread. )

And lastly, have you considered perhaps adding the ability to download all stories by a single author on a site? It's not urgent, or anything. Just an idea. Right now I use this extension to get multiple urls and it works a treat.

Thank you again for your help.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #795
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
I've attached an example EPUB to this message.
Thanks. Aside from being momentarily surprised at the extra metadata calibre writes when you save and epub to disk, I don't see anything unusual in it.

Quote:
Yeah that's what I thought but in earlier tests I found that it only works if I enter one url at a time. Otherwise I'd get the page error message. I haven't tested it recently to see if anything has changed but I can.
Can you check that again? Because I just checked to be sure and there is literally no difference between an epub generated by FFDL one at a time vs with a group except the Packaged timestamp.

This is the only symptom that might indicate a problem with FFDL instead of the content from the site.

Quote:
I've downloaded at least 50 stories in the last month and only about 6 of them had the page error message so I don't think it's only new downloads that display this problem. It's been there at least 5 months because I've using the plugin since April.
If it's not recent, and it's limited to only a few stories, I'm leaning toward it being some oddity in the HTML of those specific stories that bothers your Sony device.
Closed Thread