Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quad Core Tablet in 2011?

http://android.pandaapp.com/news/110...348288_1.shtml
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Great CPU, but I don't get the fixation with games. I personally don't play, so I couldn't care less about game performance, but I see this CPU as a starting point for productivity apps (word processing, video editing and such). With the power of 4 cores, and keyboards available (especially with Android, where USB OTG should be available), tablets could start to take the place of laptops. Not for everybody, granted, laptops will still have a place, but the line between tablet and laptop will be somewhat blurred.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Great CPU, but I don't get the fixation with games. I personally don't play, so I couldn't care less about game performance, but I see this CPU as a starting point for productivity apps (word processing, video editing and such). With the power of 4 cores, and keyboards available (especially with Android, where USB OTG should be available), tablets could start to take the place of laptops. Not for everybody, granted, laptops will still have a place, but the line between tablet and laptop will be somewhat blurred.

I'm not a big gamer either. However, your right this certainly opens up a whole world of opportunity. It also up the ante in the tablet war between Android and Apple. Coming out with a Quad Core tablet before the end of the year could certainly shift the balance of power. This time looks like their not going allow Apple to beat them to the punch.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
The big question with this, and any increase in the number of cores, is where is the power coming from?

If you want long battery life then the size and capacity of the battery will have to increase. Conversely, if the battery stays the same size/capacity then you will need to recharge every few hours.

At some point you get to the position where a netbook becomes the best option.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
The big question with this, and any increase in the number of cores, is where is the power coming from?

If you want long battery life then the size and capacity of the battery will have to increase. Conversely, if the battery stays the same size/capacity then you will need to recharge every few hours.

The Asus Transformer Prime will be the first tablet to boast a quad core processor. The specs for this tablet are actually very impressive. It's actually thinner and lighter than the iPad2 (by a hair), 4 times faster, and offers up to 12 hours of battery life. It will also be the first tablet with the Ice Cream Sandwich OS. It's supposed to be available in December.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-new...-them-all/5731

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-30-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:

I agree. I was using the zagg keyboard case on my iPad. Awesome case & the keyboard was great. But then I kept thinking that it's not a Netbook & I want to use it as a tablet. That's why I have the iPad. My laptop is in the other room if I need it. So I gave the case to my nephew that could use it more because he takes his iPad to school & takes notes. I kept thinking that I might as well get the Netbook if I'm going to use my iPad like one.

Anyway, the transformer Cybertron prime is pretty nice. Just no more money or room for another tablet in the house right now.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:

Funny you say that. The Tegra 3 (4+1 cores) is actually more power efficient that the Tegra 2 (2 cores).

Quote:
From gaming to daily tasks, everything will benefit — even battery life.
Quote:
Making Tegra 3 extremely powerful while also being energy efficient and providing better battery life than Tegra 2 — Yes I said better (according to NVIDIA).
Source

Last edited by afv011; 11-30-2011 at 11:56 AM.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
Anyway, the transformer Cybertron prime is pretty nice. Just no more money or room for another tablet in the house right now.

It is pretty nice. The docking keyboard is just an option. I hear you about not having any more money for another tablet. It may be a year or so before I even look at another tablet. By then quad core should be the standard and who knows we may even see another $200 wonder hit the market.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
what it matters more powerful and hot CPUs when mobile devices tend to lock up when it starts getting too hot?

CPU-intensive tasks demand desktops or higher, not pocket ovens. Mobile craze has made many people lose their machines when put under such stress as movie-quality 3D graphic rendering on laptops for instance. People simply don't understand that they are different tools for different jobs and that mining with a spoon is not a good idea.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
all depends on developments, more powerful cpus using less power
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #11
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
what it matters more powerful and hot CPUs when mobile devices tend to lock up when it starts getting too hot?

CPU-intensive tasks demand desktops or higher, not pocket ovens. Mobile craze has made many people lose their machines when put under such stress as movie-quality 3D graphic rendering on laptops for instance. People simply don't understand that they are different tools for different jobs and that mining with a spoon is not a good idea.
I somewhat agree. However, a few years ago laptops were running so hot you couldn't even hold them in your lap. Heat = battery drain. My son has an older laptop and he is lucky if he get's two hours of use from the battery as most of the laptop's energy is wasted in the form of heat. I bought a dual core laptop last year that runs so cool I can not only set in my lap but, I get almost 5 hours of use from the battery.

If history has taught us anything it's that the newer processors are thinner and run more efficiently and waste little power in the form of heat. More evidence of this is desktops. A few years ago it wasn't uncommon to buy a desktop with a 450 - 500 watt power supply. My son bought a core i7 machine late last year with an ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card and it came with a 300 watt power supply.

According to the specs: NVIDIA implemented a stealth 5th-core and their patent-pending Variable Symmetric Multiprocessing (vSMP) technology to deliver up to 61 percent lower power consumption in certain use cases. This translates into an industry-leading 12 hours of battery life for HD video playback.

Guess we'll find out soon if it can hold up to this claim.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #12
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
very good theoretical extension of what I said in few words.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Wit all these devices we won't know how they stand up to actual real world use until they are available and in use - and I don't mean as review units but in *real* use.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote