Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
smoothrolla
smoothrolla began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
how to move tags data into a new custom column

Hi guys

first post, great website, i salute you

I have a huge library and have downloaded all the tags from goodreads (so they populate as simple genres)

However, recently I have learnt to create a custom column #genre

i would now like to move the data in the tags field to the #genre one, automatically.. is this possible?

i would then download the tags from multiple sources to get true tags to make my library more descriptive and searchable

Any help appreciated!
smoothrolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:50 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Use bulk metadata search/replace. Assuming that your genre column has the type "comma-separated text, like tags...", use the following process.
  1. Make a backup of your library in case things go very wrong.
  2. Select all the books you wish to change
  3. Press 'E' to get bulk metadata edit
  4. Select the search/replace tab
  5. Search field: tags
  6. Search for: leave empty
  7. Replace with: leave empty
  8. Destination field: #genre
  9. Press Apply
  10. Click the "Basic metadata" tab
  11. Check the "Remove all" box next to "Remove tags"
  12. Press OK
All the tags will have be copied to #genre and deleted from tags.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
smoothrolla
smoothrolla began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks Chaley, great instructions, much appreciated!!

Mush easier than i thought, and here i was learning templates and pyhon code to achieve it, doh!

Thanks!
smoothrolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:51 AM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
I know this is a reeeeeally old thread, but moving tags is exactly what I am trying to do. I can follow the instructions 1-7, but the "Destination field" mentioned in step 8 is ehm... non-existent (or am I looking in the wrong place)? Of course we're a couple of Calibre versions further ahead by now, but is the above still possible with 3.24.2? And if not, is there a new way to move tags to the #genre column?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 12.51.07.png
Views:	276
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	164193  
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:58 AM   #5
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Never mind, I found the field! It was hiding beneath the "Search mode" (should be set to "Regular expression")
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 12.56.01.png
Views:	284
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	164194  
Advert
Old 05-30-2018, 07:05 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You need to change the "Search mode" from "Character match" to "Regex". That will add the destination field.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:19 AM   #7
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Thanks David!

I added to changes (in bold) to the instructions for future reference:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Use bulk metadata search/replace. Assuming that your genre column has the type "comma-separated text, like tags...", use the following process.
  1. Make a backup of your library in case things go very wrong.
  2. Select all the books you wish to change
  3. Press 'E' to get bulk metadata edit
  4. Select the search/replace tab
  5. Select "Regular Expression" from the "Search mode" menu
  6. Search field: tags
  7. Search for: type a space [ ]
  8. Replace with: leave empty
  9. Destination field: #genre
  10. Press Apply
  11. Click the "Basic metadata" tab
  12. Check the "Remove all" box next to "Remove tags"
  13. Press OK
All the tags will have be copied to #genre and deleted from tags.