Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #46
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
That number went down, did it not, SensualPoet? I know I've seen the figure quoted as closer to 60% at one point. And yes, I knew about Short Covers. I had an account that was switched over when they became Kobo.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #47
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post

Interestingly, B&N has its next earnings release on Nov 22 and, just this morning, its Chief Financial Officer resigned abruptly, including his role as director in the company.
B&N's CFO Joseph Lombardi hinted in his resignation statement that with the company's commitment to digital he felt it was an appropriate time to step down. Wall St analysts say that Mr Lombardi doesn't have the digital/online experience to help B&N with the transition. Although, his interim replacement is the former CFO of Liberty Travel. Not sure what he brings to the table. Mr Lombardi will stay with B&N as a non-officer until 2012 when a permanent replacement is found and trained.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #48
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
B&N's CFO Joseph Lombardi hinted in his resignation statement that with the company's commitment to digital he felt it was an appropriate time to step down. Wall St analysts say that Mr Lombardi doesn't have the digital/online experience to help B&N with the transition. Although, his interim replacement is the former CFO of Liberty Travel. Not sure what he brings to the table. Mr Lombardi will stay with B&N as a non-officer until 2012 when a permanent replacement is found and trained.
Perhaps at the analyst call in late Nov the company will provide a little more info around the sudden departure. Lombardi, 49, had only been CFO for 18 months; his current contract expires 2013. Allen Lindstrom, B&N Controller since 2007, appears to be chosen merely because he was available; he's the interim person while an executive search for a "permanent" CFO is engaged. Most analysts agree B&N is at a critical juncture and cannot afford a mis-step; any unexpected changes of top executives raises leadership questions.

B&N is also putting final touches to its Q1, ending Oct 31, and some expect it will be a bleak quarter due to the one-time whirlwind exit of Borders which almost certainly impact B&N store sales as shoppers cleared final stock at the rival chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
That number went down, did it not, SensualPoet? I know I've seen the figure quoted as closer to 60% at one point. And yes, I knew about Short Covers. I had an account that was switched over when they became Kobo.
Yes. Kobo, as a stand-alone entity, is privately held by Indigo, Cheong King and a smaller number of institutional investors (including relatively recent ones who helped the company raise $50 million earlier this year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
They are on both the Canadian and US Best Buy sites now.
Yes, in fact, pre-orders are available through kobo.com, Best Buy, Frys, Future Shop, Indigo ... it's a much more widespread roll out than any of the previous Kobos. This is a significant gamble for the company, arriving in mass just in time for the biggest selling season of the year. Assuming the device is as capable as it appears -- offering direct tradeoffs of price vs features -- the timing couldn't be better. With Amazon making so much noise in the marketplace, Kobo can do very, very well merely tagging along.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #49
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by doone View Post
You may be on the money there. If you click on the little pink arrow above Android Apps in this tech specs page, the screen on the kobo changes to show you the apps homepage - there is an icon for GetJar Apps right there. But don't blink, you'll miss it.
Or, pop over to GetJar. You can register "Kobo Vox" as an option and it already recognises you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilikins View Post
I wonder why we didn't get a sneak peek of the Vox at some of the recent techie conferences? It'd be nice to see people actually messing with it (well, lightly messing with it) instead of the PR ad. Maybe they were still working out some sizable kinks at the time and didn't want hiccups on camera.

The press releases say it'll be sold at Best Buy and the like but not when. I assume after the ship date, but it'd be nice to know how much of a window I have before my other tablet ships (and cancel in time, if I change my mind on it).
Ship dates seem pretty consistent calling out Oct 28.

I think the lack of buzz so far in the US market is simply that Kobo is pretty much dismissed by the business press. This perception is changing slowly. The strategy of building an open platform, delivering content on many different devices through apps and partnerships, hasn't really sunk in. The business press tend to see "Borders closed = Kobo closed", assuming without Borders Kobo is toast. Amazon, of course, has no stores ....

Plus, don't underestimate Kobo's ability to show up in places like Walmart.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #50
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I don't know if the GetJar store isn't fully built yet for Vox, but it sure is hard to use right now, with very few apps showing, once you establish Vox as the device. Much easier to find apps that work if, for device, you type in Android 2.3 and then choose that generic non-device as you look for apps or look at what you get when you choose Archos 70.

Last edited by taming; 10-22-2011 at 07:30 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
e-reader, kobo, tablet