Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
alism
Connoisseur
alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD, Kindle 3, KPW,
Fictionwise 60% off this weekend - May 14

Use coupon code spring60off for 60% off all titles. Expires May 15.

Enjoy
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
CHunter_Author
Zealot
CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Thanks for the tip.
CHunter_Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Thank you! Grabbed the rest of the Darkover short stories that I'd been holding back on. (35+ stories ranging from $.69 to $2.00.) Now I have the whole set of non-DRM'd Darkover from FW!
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
I was waiting for a super-coupon to get 2 books from there, and this is the one
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wow, that's a good deal. Thanks for alerting us to it.

Joyce
joycedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
jessc
Enthusiast
jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks, I've been waiting for a coupon like that to dig into my wishlist! This could get scary...
jessc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
OK, that's blown my resolve. I'm going to pick up the F&SF I'm missing (2002 and some of 2003), and see if there's anything else there I'd like. Possibly last call at fictionwise.

It would be interesting if people posted here what they've bought, to give other people good ideas. I'm tempted by the Darkover ebooks, but I just don't think I can bear the thought of organising all those short stories. That's what I want an editor/publisher to do for me.

So far I'm planning on:
27 F&SF Magazines (all the issues I didn't already have — about $1.35 an issue!)
8 by Greg Bear
3 by Mercedes Lackey
2 Martin Gereenberg anthologies
11 SF/Fantasy by Piers Anthony

And I'm still looking. It seems that I might qualify for the 15% large order rebate, and end up spending $200 on ebooks 'worth' $675. (15% club membership rebate included).

I fear this is going to destroy my "read three, buy one" resolution, and probably give me a TBR pile stretching to 2014 or later...
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
Sacredwoman
Enthusiast
Sacredwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sacredwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sacredwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sacredwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sacredwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sacredwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sacredwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sacredwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sacredwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sacredwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sacredwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch
Thanks! You guys/gals are so amazing here. Any good romance or paranormal recs from them? I've chosen some scary bad stuff lately lol
Sacredwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It would be interesting if people posted here what they've bought, to give other people good ideas.
Well, but we don't want to tempt you any further.

For the rest of the forum members:

I bought the rest of the Liz Sullivan series by Lora Roberts (I already owned the first one): http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/a10641/Lora-Roberts/?. I like mysteries. The first novel doesn't have a especially inspired plot, but I found the characters charismatic and enjoyed the book. Liz Sullivan lives in a van and has an interesting point view about the South Bay Area.

Thanks to the OP for the coupon!
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by booksoldier View Post
who needs the coupon, most books r gonna b more exprensive than on [PIRATE SITE] anyway. These guys have most ebooks for $4 or less (not promoting it or anything)
Pirating ebooks is bad. Paying pirates for pirated ebooks is bad and stupid.

Only buy ebooks from legitimate resellers. If you can't afford them, join the library, or get them from a torrent, but don't put money into fraudsters' pockets.

[EDIT: It seems booksoldier was one of the fraudsters himself, as he just spammed several threads mentioning that pirate site. Now banned and deleted. Thanks for the quick action, mods!]

[EDIT2: Oh, and if you are foolishly tempted by these wretched fraudsters, consider whether you really want to give your credit card details to criminals?]

Last edited by pdurrant; 05-14-2011 at 01:13 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It would be interesting if people posted here what they've bought, to give other people good ideas. I'm tempted by the Darkover ebooks, but I just don't think I can bear the thought of organising all those short stories. That's what I want an editor/publisher to do for me.
Now that I have the full set, I plan on eventually posting a chronological & themed list organizing them. (Probably not in the next month; I have other writing projects to finish first, and I have to read them before sorting.) I'm planning on making a batch PDF of all of them, sorted by author, on the theory that most authors will write a batch of short stories about the same topic/characters.

(And this is where ebooks fail to be as nifty as pbooks; I could mark up the TOC of an anthology--if it weren't already in groups--or, if they were individually printed volumes--a stack of pamphlets, perhaps--could just stack them in order. I may wind up printing out the first page of each so I can do that.)

Quote:
So far I'm planning on:
27 F&SF Magazines (all the issues I didn't already have — about $1.35 an issue!)
Hmm, I have none of those. Maybe I should try them.

Last week, I picked up all 11 of the Sime~Gen novels; I want to write up a recommended reading order (which is not the order they're tagged as), and rant about the horrific covers the new publisher chose. (Whydahell are they using bland drama-ish romance-ish covers for tentacled vampire soulbonding post-apocalypse sf novels?)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #12
AlanE
AlanE began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard, Kindle Paperwhite 6th gen, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra
I've just discovered that this doesn't apply to all titles. The three titles I wanted, all from Samhain publishing, are not discounted.
AlanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Woo hoo! Thanks! Picked up some mags and a few books, including a Hannah Howell I've had my eye on.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #14
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Dance of joy. Thank you alism and GeoffC also for posting the coupon code in some other FW-related threads.

I'd been waiting for a good coupon to pick up some stuff for which I'd gotten a sample book back during the Chrismanukkwanzaa holiday sales to evaluate if the author's work was good enough to scoop in general.

@ pdurrant; don't know if you've already gotten these during previous FW sales, but I think you might like:

R.A. MacAvoy; truly excellent fantasies, I bought all but one of her works during the sales last year and have enjoyed all but the three I haven't got around to reading yet: especially recommend Tea with the Black Dragon, The Book of Kells, and Damiano & Damiano's Lute. I'll be picking the one sf I didn't get during the last round of purchases.

I myself will be getting a bunch of backlist Dave Duncan after having read three of his in-print books from the library, which I rather enjoyed. Of course I'll be sampling first to see which ones read best.

John DeChancie's comedy fantasy Castle Perilous series is silly fun stuff which you may or may not enjoy if you're in the mood for such. Sample first.

Elizabeth Ann Scarborough's The Healer's War won her a Nebula. I haven't gotten around to reading it, but I really liked her more light-hearted fantasies The Godmother and Song of Sorcery, and you can get the sequels via Smashwords (the publisher has been participating in Read an E-Book Week sales, so if you can hold out until next March, they drop by 25% off).

FW has added some new George Alec Effinger and Brian Stableford and Fritz Leiber since the start of the year, and I'll be getting those.

I've read and mildly enjoyed more from the e-reads catalogue of backlist authors, so it's worth looking at what they list on their site, as it's nearly all available MultiFormat via FW and much cheaper with coupon than in other places.

I'll be getting stuff by Aaron Elkins (mystery), Emily Hahn (non-fiction), Ru Emerson, Elizabeth A. Lynn, Clare Bell, Marta Randall, Susan Shwartz, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, maybe Pamela Sargent (all sf/fantasy).

I've previously gotten and liked stuff from the above authors (minus Sargent, whom I'll be sampling to make up for this lack), as well as Anne Logston, Don Callander, Nancy Springer, Greg Bear, Nick Pollotta.

@ Sacredwoman

I can't personally vouch for their quality, but overall Lillian Stewart Carl is a good writer and I've bought her fantasies and mysteries in the past.

She has two dirt-cheap romances/romantic mysteries at 2.99 each before coupon which you may want to give a shot. Memory and Desire and Time Enough to Die.

Her other books are cheaper over at Smashwords when her author's group runs a sale, which they are apparently planning to do later this month.

Also, Roberta Gellis has been highly recommended in some other threads, and she also has a few low-cost romances at FW.

Oh, and I think it's worth noting that publisher Belle/Bell Bridge Books, who have been offering a lot of Kindle and Kobo freebies lately, sell their wares as DRM-free MultiFormat via FW.

A bit pricey, but much cheaper with coupon than getting them via other outlets, and no DRM.

So if you've been reading and enjoying the freebies and wanted to pick up the sequels, now is a good time for that.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #15
DHNightshadow
Zealot
DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyager
Hm, I did get the Darkover Serie the last time when it was 50 %. But I am tempted by
the three Ominibus from Alan Burt Akers (Kenneth Bullmer) Scorpio/Antares Zyklus.

Maybe somthing more from Dreamspinenr Press, and I will look over this thread for more choices.

And there go the good wish for this month, not to buy more books.
DHNightshadow is offline   Reply With Quote