Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
TLActor
TLActor began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Evo, K3
So Confused!

I've been a lurker for a while...and finally decided I needed to join and be part of the discussions. I know there's a thread that's similar to the question I'm going to ask (and reading it has been helpful as you will see in the question), but I was looking for specific advice and didn't want to take away from the OP of that thread.

I received some gift money and decided to portion part of it off for an e-reader. I prefer a physical book - but we're running out of space to put all the books that my husband and I keep buying! I'd narrowed it down to the Kindle or the Nook.

My position on each:

Kindle:
-More solid device.
-Amazon has helped by putting the public domain books on their website so it's easier to access when I'm away from my computer.
-Smaller and lighter - therefore easier to carry in my purse.
-Nice new (and sharper) Pearl display
-Seems like the more popular device and therefore more tailored to
-Locked into the AMZ format, meaning no library books

Nook:
-Something 'brighter' about it
-Can get a refurb model for only $89 with the same one year warranty
-With the money I saved getting the refurb I can feel better about springing for one for my husband
-older generation model
-supports epub and library books

Ahh! Maybe I'm thinking WAY to into this. I know I could strip the DRM and make things compatible (and I am concerned about future compatibility - when I buy it, I feel I should always be able to access it), but I don't know how and haven't been able to figure out how.

Thanks everyone for the advice and sorry this is so long!!!
TLActor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
I have a Kindle as well as a Color Nook...I have not used the Kindle since I got the NC...The Kindle most def is lighter and read anywhere...The NC is more intuitive and touch screen for definitions, highlighting, ect. ect. You have the added option of "Rooting" it (go to the Nook Color Forum) so it becomes a functional tablet...
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
TLActor
TLActor began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Evo, K3
I looked at the Nook Color and loved it. But I decided to stick with e-ink readers to help with eye strain. Even with the light turned down, reading on my Evo I feel like I'm losing the 'book-experience' with the LCD screen.

But that's good to know. Maybe for my anniversary I'll ask for one so I can root it and have a tablet!
TLActor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
MamaSylvia
Enthusiast
MamaSylvia doesn't litterMamaSylvia doesn't litter

Device: Droid 1, Kindle 3
Probably you'll be either as happy or unhappy with either choice as you want to be. I have a Kindle 3 and a Toshiba e800 and I use both, and I'm going to look for a thread on which is the best ereader for library books to check books out, but it will need to be a cheapie or DH will cut up my credit cards.

Two questions to help you decide:

1. How sensitive are your eyes to reading a backlit screen? I see tons of posts on the Kindle board about people whose headaches and eyestrain were relieved by getting a Kindle. Personally, I can read on my laptop all day and night without problems, but I seem to be in a minority. If you have problems with backlighting, definitely go for the Kindle.

2. How important is getting library books on the ereader to you? Do you have access to a library with lots of e-titles? I still check out lots of paper books because I can't see buying books I'm probably only going to read once, and I have over 250 unread books on my Kindle, most of them free from Amazon. But if you expect library use to be a major portion of your e-reading, get the Nook.
MamaSylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:22 AM   #5
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Not to muddy the waters further, but if there is a local Borders in your area, you may find a good deal on a Kobo reader, or Sony PRS-350 as well.

Some folks have reported seeing the Kobo for as low as $59 dollars and the PRS-350 in the $120 to $130 range.

I understand that the Sony may be a little more than you were looking to pay, but it is in the same ballpark as the Kindle, and Sony just jacked the price on the PRS-350 back up to $179.99 on the Sony Style web site, so that's actually a pretty good deal.

You will find lots and lots of folks here on Mobileread who have had several readers before finally ending up with a Sony, so that might be something to consider, and if you would rather go the other way and spend as little as possible, then the Kobo could be about as much cheaper than a refurbished Nook, as the Nook is vs the Sony PRS-350.

I own the PRS-650, and have another family member with the 350, and both are incredible little readers due to their compact form factor and incredible touch screen interface. I have another family member with the Kindle, and found it's interface to be very poorly laid out, even given the limitations of no touch screen.

Like the Kindle, the Kobo lacks any kind of touch screen or GUI interface, and has fairly basic firmware, but it is a bit lighter than a Nook and more compact, and will still let you read EPUB formated books from Sony, Kobo, or Google Books, as well as free library books, and if you can get one for $59 it will let you get your toe in the water, ebook reader wise, without spending a lot of money.

Last edited by delphin; 03-26-2011 at 02:02 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2011, 02:56 AM   #6
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
If you are not into public libraries, get a Kindle. With a Kindle, you are not locked on azw format or Amazon, that's a myth. There are tons of online bookstores who sell in mobi format and even ePub (DRM free) all of those can be read on Kindle 3 as well natively or via Calibre.

Kindle 3 has better battery, better eink technology, lighter (8oz vs 12oz) a nice dictionary and of course, Amazon bookstore!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:47 AM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile

Nah, get a Sony - you can see where your $£$£s have gone, beautifully built, either 350 or 650, but I am very happy with my 650.

Will you really have a desperate need to buy a book and d/load it instantly ? 'Specially as within a very few weeks you'll end up with at least tens, possibly hundreds (!) of books you're "going to get round to reading".....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Take a look at Apprentice Alf's blog. You can download the tools you need for stripping DRM there. Go to BN and Amazon and buy one cheap book. Try stripping the DRM.

If you find it to be easy then you can remove that issue and buy the reader you are most comfortable with.

If you both want/need an e-reader now and money is tight, the Nook is a fine device and you will be happy with it. If you can afford 2 Kindle WiFi then I would go that route. The Kindle is easier to use when it comes to the dictionary, bookmarks, highlighting, and taking notes.

If you don't think you are going to enjoy a n e-reader why not take a good look at the books you have in your hose and donate a bunch to the library and make more room for new paper books. You will be helping you library, they will probably sell the books to raise money, and make room in your house.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm, epub, kindle 3, mobi, nook