Old 01-26-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
michaelbr
Connoisseur
michaelbr began at the beginning.

Device: Android 12
PDF to HTML page break questions

I'm trying to convert PDF to ePub, this is how I did it:
1- saving PDF as HTML 4.0 with CSS 1.0 format
after saving it, I opened in FF and noticed that some paragraphs are broken (there are some blank spaces between char as below):
Quote:
...that it was not alive, but her

fear remained...
then I opened the HTML file with NotePad++ and noticed that there's a <p> tag around the "fear remained...", further analysis I noticed that the "fear remained..." is in a new page, so I checked other new pages, it seems some time Acrobat puts in <p> on the page break, and some times not. Anyone knows how to fix it without having to edit it one by one?

This is what I have in my HTML file:
Quote:
<P><SPAN>.....</SPAN
></P>
<P style="text-align:center; margin-left:0px">
<SPAN style="font-size:12pt; font-weight:normal; color:#000000"
>fear remained. For it was the first artificial object that she had ever seen. </SPAN
></P>
Some of the paragraphs does not break, so I have
Quote:
<P><SPAN>.....</SPAN
>
<SPAN style="font-size:12pt; font-weight:normal; color:#000000"
>fear remained. For it was the first artificial object that she had ever seen. </SPAN
></P>
ps: the environment I'm using is:
Win XP, Acrobat Pro 8.

Thanks for your comment/suggestion
Michael
michaelbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Have you tried using pdfreflow instead?

The only other thing I could suggest would be a reg ex find and replace. The exact syntax would vary by editor, and you'd have to figure out the rule -- would it be, if a paragraph ends with a lowercase letter, and the next one begins with one, merge the paragraphs?
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
michaelbr
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post

The only other thing I could suggest would be a reg ex find and replace. The exact syntax would vary by editor, and you'd have to figure out the rule -- would it be, if a paragraph ends with a lowercase letter, and the next one begins with one, merge the paragraphs?
Thanks frabjous, no I haven't tried pdfreflow, seems interesting, I'll give it a try and post back. I thought about using regex, but heard about it's very messy when fixing problem in HTML, so I'll try first pdfreflow.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
michaelbr
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post

Thanks frabjous, pdfreflow worked like a charm, I think there are some bugs:
1) There's a </body> at the top of generated html file, I think this should be an opening instead of closing <body> (further down there's another </body>).
2) Sometimes there's missing </p>. For instances, the chapter sometimes has a closing </p> tag, sometime it's missing.