Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Best Android Tablet?

whats the best Android tablet out at the moment.
I promised my sister I will buy her a tablet by Nov and from the looks of it the best by far is still Ipad and its really bugging me that I will have to dish out for an apple device.
I know better Android tablets are coming out next year but by then she would be an apple zombie sadly I would be the cause.
I have already lost one sibling to the disease just this month after not being able to convince her to get an Android phone instead of Iphone 4.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:18 AM   #2
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Honestly? She probably won't be happy with any of the Chinese knock-offs that are available today. Convince her to wait until next year when proper, name-brand tablets start shipping with capacitive multi-touch and non-stolen market access.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 03:33 AM   #3
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I promised my sister I will buy her a tablet by Nov and from the looks of it the best by far is still Ipad and its really bugging me that I will have to dish out for an apple device.
I know better Android tablets are coming out next year but by then she would be an apple zombie sadly I would be the cause.
I have already lost one sibling to the disease just this month after not being able to convince her to get an Android phone instead of Iphone 4.
Currently, most of the "Android tablets" do not even meet the "Android 2.2 Compatibility Definition", and that is not even a tablet definition. The Android 3.0 Compatibility Definition will be the first to define minimum tablet specifications. Do you think that your sister would become an Android convert with the current crop of sub-par "Android Tablet" devices, or will she be frustrated with the limitations of the Android wannabes available now?

If you want to shop for one of the current crop it would probably be a good idea to find one that most closely meets the "Android 2.2 Compatibility Definition".
http://static.googleusercontent.com/...id-2.2-cdd.pdf
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
If you want to name it "tablet", Dell Streak probably is the best right now.
Samsung Galaxy Tab most likely will take over the pole position in a few weeks.
Personally, I (unfortunately) have to say, iPhone4/iPad for now are far ahead. Not because of the hardware, but Android isn't "mature" enough yet.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I'm thinking that in four days time the 10" tablet from Advent could bid for the pole position, at least for UK buyers (and until we get the version 3 crop).

http://www.gaj-it.com/25923/advent-v...-all-revealed/

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
Guiltyr1
Connoisseur
Guiltyr1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Padigital Novel
Personally I love the Pandigital Novel - I am so HAPPY with mine.. you can look at slatedroid on how to modify it. The reader reads everything..
Guiltyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
Fernie
Fernie began at the beginning.

Device: Astak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyr1 View Post
Personally I love the Pandigital Novel - I am so HAPPY with mine.. you can look at slatedroid on how to modify it. The reader reads everything..
Can it read DJVU files?
Fernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Any Android tabelt that does not have market support is not worth bothering with.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #9
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
The Archos 101 (hopefully it will be out next month)
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:11 AM   #10
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Best Android tablet?

The one that will come next year, with OS 3.0 and hopefully decent battery life.

Until then, get her an iPad.

(Or she will ultimately be disappointed.)
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:35 AM   #11
sophiemith
sophiemith began at the beginning.

Device: none
good, it is a wonderful thing
sophiemith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:01 AM   #12
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
So far I am leaning towards the Samsung galaxy tab depending on its off contract price.
It has market available on it and is supported by Google and already has 2.2 on it.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #13
Guiltyr1
Connoisseur
Guiltyr1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Padigital Novel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernie View Post
Can it read DJVU files?
I believe it can. Haven't tried it though..

http://code.google.com/p/vudroid/

VuDroid is a djvu and pdf document viewer based on code base of DjvuDroid and PdfDroid viewers. New VuDroid viewer will offer redesigned DjvuDroid features:

Zoom by slider drag
Progressive tree rendering
Fixed pdf crash issues
Fast orientation change
Page num visualization while scroll
More efficient memory usage
And more
Guiltyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #14
vercetti
vercetti began at the beginning.

Device: none
hey guys,

i've been into android tablets for quite some weeks now and after some time (i'm pretty sure) i found the best one so far. it's not out yet but will most likely hit the shelves around december 2010, january 2011.
it's from a company in india called notionink, the tablet is called "adam".

you just have to check it out. there are so many people awaiting it, the blog is going crazy on their site and i have not found a single tablet offering more features (especially the PixelQi display) than any other tablet so far and all for a great price (will be between 350 and 500 dollars depending on which version you get).

PixelQi for those who do not know: it's a hybrid display meaning that it has a normal backlit display (like any other monitor/display) but you also have the option to turn off the backlight making the screen live off sunlight. so it functions outdoors in bright sunlight! also, pixelqi has a e-paper mode changing the screen to an e-ink similar screen, using very little battery.

the adam runs a dual core cpu!!, has nvidias newest tegra2 chip, has 1gb ram, 3usb ports, a (180degree) swivel camera, touchpad on the backside of the device!, hdmi, sd-card slot, depending on which screen mode you run you can get many many hours of battery life, display size is 10inch, 1024x600 (the only downside for me personally), it will feature its own market store called genesis, will pretty sure run android 2.2 and most likely be upgradeable to 3.0 (the developer of the device is active in the blog and has taken many inputs from fans so far, right now there's a contest going on to design the company's logo, hehe), and and and...

just check out this tablet, but remember that most videos you'll find on youtube are from many months ago as this tablet has been introduced early this year and has been in development stage for a long time now. gladly it will finally be released soon!

notionink.wordpress.com for the blog
and notionink.in for the small homepage with detailed specs and couple pix.

and no, i'm not from the company or anything alike, i just want to inform everyone about this product - i haven't found a better tablet yet, hands down.
still i probably won't be getting one cuz i don't like the fact of it having a 1024x600 screen. for me a tablet should be all for reading and surfing (which of course is also reading). and the 600pixels are just not ideal for doing that. i don't want to scroll around the whole time, that pisses me off. too bad there are hardly any tablets around (except for the ipad) that have a 1024x768 screen.

ok, i'm gonna shut up for now,
hope i could bring you some good info,
greetz,
v.
vercetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #15
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
The Archos 101 (hopefully it will be out next month)
I'm so hot for this or the Archos 70. Haven't decided on 10" or 7" yet. But they already have a side-loading market install work around to get the app store. Another drawback for me is Netflix has yet to make a Android app.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote